Ford Mustang Forum banner

Lowered mustang wheel size

14K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Tweeder24 
#1 ·
Hey all, Im sure I'm bring up something that's been talked about before, but I have the SR performance lowering springs. Not sure how much it's lowered as it was from a previous owner,but I'm thinking of doing the 20in MMD 551c wheels. Am I going to run into clearance issues being lowered and running 20 in wheels?

#3 ·
Depends more on the tires than the wheels. I'm lowered 2" on Forgestar 20's without issue. If your tire height is between 27-27.5" then you'll probably be fine, assuming you're not dealing with crazy widths.

EDIT: Or what he said ^^^^^ lol

#6 ·
It is a formula. Not sure if you have access to spreadsheets but see if this might help you.

Attachments

#5 ·
back spacing and offset probably make a difference also.

#8 ·
WOW that's so cool looking coolthumb.gif thumbsup3 one day I'll have my car that low

#12 ·
Sharad I was referring to the way your stang looks

#13 ·
Ill be running the Mickey Thompson 255/35/20 in the front and 275/35/20 in the back. I'm not sure how to figure out the tire height without having them in front of me.
Hey Tweeder,

Great choice going with the MMD 551C's, they are one of my favorite wheels!

In regards to clearance, you will have no issues running those wheels/tires with the SR Springs. You have nothing to worry about!

Make sure to post up some pictures once you get them on your car!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

#15 ·
Really wish I'd gone with an airlift kit to start. I've spent about the same amount on suspension over the last 3 years getting the drop etc, just the way I like it! I know I read it from others in the beginning, but don't go cheap to start. Go ahead and splurge on those nice coil-overs or airlift suspension in the beginning and save $$ down the road.. lol

Nice setup Sharad :)

#17 ·
I think that Tireack.com lists tires overall diameter on their site. When I was looking for wider tires I was checking their height too....along with other spec's.

#18 ·
on the same question, dropping the car 1" and thinking about putting a 20" with 275 on all fours would i have clearance issues?

#22 ·
My car has FRPP K springs, so it's about 1.5" lowered. I have 20x11 Steeda rims with 59mm offset, Michelin PSS 315/35/20s. I just installed them. I'm getting minor rubbing on the inside of the tire during mildly aggressive cornering. It's touching the fender liner. I plan to cut away part of the liner this weekend and see if it provides enough clearance. If not, I have a set of 1/8" spacers to push the wheel out. Of course, the spacers could cause clearance problems on the outside of the tire.

I was told by someone at Steeda that this tire/rim combination would fit, so I'm hopeful that it will work with some adjustments. The fronts are 20x9.5 with 45mm offset, PSS 285/35/20, and no clearance problems.

#23 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but I used to have 315/35/20's with a +55 offset rim (Forgestar F14), and also had inner fender liner rubbing under certain conditions, and you're already +4mm further out than me. The only way I could solve it was to raise the car back up. I suppose a spacer might work? I wound up dropping the car to 2" all around and went with 305/30/20's in the back. Problem solved! No one else makes a streetable DD 315 width tire that isn't 28.6 inches tall.

#31 ·
Dang Sharad that is extremely low. My nuts would be dragging in the sand that low. Beautiful car by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.