Blown coyote? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Really sorry to hear about this issue man. I hope the dealer doesn't try and bend you over too bad on this...Did you install the supercharger yourself and then upload a tune that Brenspeed sent you? Or was this installed by Brenspeed on location and custom tuned on a Dyno after the install?...If the tune you have can't be modified (locked on your tuner), then wouldn't changing ignition plugs, coils, and opening the gap w/out a re-tune cause serious problems? ....

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiZ_65 View Post
Really sorry to hear about this issue man. I hope the dealer doesn't try and bend you over too bad on this...Did you install the supercharger yourself and then upload a tune that Brenspeed sent you? Or was this installed by Brenspeed on location and custom tuned on a Dyno after the install?...If the tune you have can't be modified (locked on your tuner), then wouldn't changing ignition plugs, coils, and opening the gap w/out a re-tune cause serious problems? ....
I installed with Brenspeed tune. Hi output coils generally don't require a tune change, nor plug gap, a far as I know.

I had a 2005 Mustang with a Whipple 11 lbs boost. Raced that car often drove it every day summer and winter and sold it. I drove it last fall and it still is running great on original motor. It had the GMS coils and opened the gap to .045"

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.
Apprentice

Time for a compression check.

post #19 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well it looks like I need a new motor. Low compression in 1 and 2, looks like broken ring/piston ring land. I was thinking of going with the Aluminator na. It would be an easy swap. Strangely there is no warranty on the Aluminator for s/c if you put a supercharger on it, unless it's a ford racing supercharger installed by a Ford dealer. The S/C version has a modified FEAD cover to accept the Ford supercharger (Whipple?). The Edelbrock doesn't require modding the FEAD cover. Would mean more work (take the FEAD off the existing motor and install it on the new motor.

Think it would be risky to stay with 11 to 1 compression with 9# boost in a forged motore?

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Well it looks like I need a new motor. Low compression in 1 and 2, looks like broken ring/piston ring land. I was thinking of going with the Aluminator na. It would be an easy swap. Strangely there is no warranty on the Aluminator for s/c if you put a supercharger on it, unless it's a ford racing supercharger installed by a Ford dealer. The S/C version has a modified FEAD cover to accept the Ford supercharger (Whipple?). The Edelbrock doesn't require modding the FEAD cover. Would mean more work (take the FEAD off the existing motor and install it on the new motor.

Think it would be risky to stay with 11 to 1 compression with 9# boost in a forged motore?

Sorry for your motor, but I am fairly certain you could use the modified FEAD on the S/C Aluminator even though your Edelbrock S/C doesn't need it. It is just ground down in some spots.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
Apprentice

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. Would'nt it be cheaper to just redo your short block with new rods and pistons/rings? Assuming the carnage is repairable. I would think this could be done for considerably less than 8000 grand for new motor.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
post #22 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah, I could get a forged rotating assembly for not too much.

GT Member

Was it possible the car was running too rich? I still say its the tune that fckd it.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
Rookie

BigBird,

You stated you installed a Brenspeed Stage 2 750E package? Even on Brenspeeds website it states that is package is not recommended for a stock motor. Was your motor stock?

Wedsite: "Brenspeed's 750HP Edelbrock Supercharger package for Upgraded Built Engine Coyote Mustangs.....750 HP is in our opinion too much power for a stock engine. With many of you already running an upgraded engine with stronger rods and pistons this is a great option."

Source: Brenspeed Stage 2 Edelbrock 750HP E-Force Supercharger Kit For 2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0L

Did you data log it? I think the mail order tune was not good for your motor. After you installed the supercharger, did you have it professionally tuned?

Blessings to you and hope you get on the road soon!

SilverChief12
post #25 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I had the 650 which they used to call stage 2. I spoke to Brenspeed before I purchased and they said it was perfectly safe for a stock engine.

post #26 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin View Post
Sorry for your motor, but I am fairly certain you could use the modified FEAD on the S/C Aluminator even though your Edelbrock S/C doesn't need it. It is just ground down in some spots.
No, the sections that are removed to install the Ford Whipple or Roush S/C are the very ones that are drilled and tapped to accept the Edelbrock tensioner and idler pulley adapters.

post #27 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1N8R View Post
Was it possible the car was running too rich? I still say its the tune that fckd it.
When I had it dynoed, I showed the report to Brenspeed and they said it was right where they wanted it. I thought it was a little too rich at the top end, but they said it was a very safe tune, so did the tech who ran the dyno.

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
No, the sections that are removed to install the Ford Whipple or Roush S/C are the very ones that are drilled and tapped to accept the Edelbrock tensioner and idler pulley adapters.

Gotcha. Didn't even think of that.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
Apprentice

Sorry this happened. So let me get this straight. You were running a completely "safe" tune performed by a reputable shop with a completely "safe" forced induction system - meant for the stock motor - as claimed by the manufacturer and it blew up and there is no explanation why. So I guess that means I will never be running a forced induction set up on mine.

2011 GT auto, 40k miles, mild tune
"If the price of your advice is an insult, I guarantee you I won't be listening."
post #30 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_stang View Post
Sorry this happened. So let me get this straight. You were running a completely "safe" tune performed by a reputable shop with a completely "safe" forced induction system - meant for the stock motor - as claimed by the manufacturer and it blew up and there is no explanation why. So I guess that means I will never be running a forced induction set up on mine.
Yeah, I will get forged internals this time, too risky with these high compression engines. My 2005 Mustang GT with a whipple at 11# boost which I raced often and drove for 3 years, and sold is still running great on original otherwise stock engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page