Blown coyote? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
Well, don't forget he was already running 11:1 comp, and 9 lbs of boost, Cool is always good,-35 is going to up that compression ....the internals must have hit a pretty dense volume of super chilled air and snapped, I guess the rest is history.
At time of tune, I doubt his tune was dialed in for those kinds of extreme -35C injection of cold air.... the pinging was the result of too much timing, I would imagine.
In my mind, a sure sign of trouble was the pinging/burned cats. It's just how things go sometimes.
My SRT4 was running 9:1 comp and was fine with the stage 3 with toys, when I moved up the power scale with a Garett 50 trim, pistons were again changed to lower comp a little more, I also know more fuel was added during winter...I was asked by my tuner if I was going to be driving it during winter months, when I told him I was, his first comment was, we need to add more fuel then.
I remember how boost hit too.... HARD and crazy instant with the colder temps, more so than warmer weather ever did. I'm sure bigbird was not doing his hardest to blow up his motor!
I wish you happy motoring, and a quick return to the road.... I think staying naturally aspirated with a 5.0 on stock internals is more then ample power delivery.
I've seen this happen to a few people I know when they supercharged a stock block, FORD did not build these motors to accommodate SC, but those that had the block built to take the additional boost on a daily level are still running fine.
Expensive bill...YES, but hey Chit happens, soon you're be rollin again with a huge smile!
That's what a local speed shop owner told me too. Stay out of boost when it's really cold out.

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Cats are usually ruined by running too rich too. It could be either extreme.
This is why i have no cats LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
post #78 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

[quote=tjin'stang;7397522]This is why i have no cats LOL

In this case it because of misfires that allowed raw fuel into the cats and they go boom!

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
...I had put the original plugs in for winter thinking that a hotter plug would work better in cold weather, I also opened the gap to .040"...I had the plugs that came with the s/c kit re-installed and gapped to .032" and put the Ford coils back on. Filled with 94 octane fuels, still pings really badly lots of smoke. Hope I haven't wrecked the motor.
I see you changed back to the colder plugs, but do you think you killed it with the warmer plugs when you initially put them in? The primary reason for colder plugs is to prevent detonation because of the nature of boosting. That initial instance could have been the first shot of the fight that killed your motor.

Hope it all gets worked out.

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush 79mm Pulley ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake GT500 Axlebacks UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs Koni STR.Ts 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
PONY Member

[quote=bigbird;7397530]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjin'stang View Post
This is why i have no cats LOL

In this case it because of misfires that allowed raw fuel into the cats and they go boom!
Been there done that! Hehehe

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Mike View Post
I see you changed back to the colder plugs, but do you think you killed it with the warmer plugs when you initially put them in? The primary reason for colder plugs is to prevent detonation because of the nature of boosting. That initial instance could have been the first shot of the fight that killed your motor.

Hope it all gets worked out.
I think most people miss understand the meaning of a hotter or colder plug. Most people think it has to do with the heat or intensity of the spark. This isn't the case though.
A hot plug retains more heat created by the combustion by protruding more into the combustion chamber. A colder plug protrudes less which allows the heat to be dissipated into the head more efficiently.
The point of the heat range is to find the sweet spot between being cool enough to not cause pre ignition (which leads to detonation) and being hot enough to burn off the carbon deposits. (Which will cause misfires)
Typically the heat of a spark plug is determined by the fuel type and the compression/boost levels. Not by ambient air temps. However with extreme temperature changes you may need to bump one up or down on some applications.
I really don't think the change back to the stock plugs was a good idea. The car would be prone to detonation under boost which would damage your engine or accelerate any damage that was already done.
This is not meant to be directed at you Nova. I just quoted you because it's relevany to your comment.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
post #82 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well the motor is in, waiting for the used cats, got a great deal. I sold the supercharger last night for 5000.00 C$ plus 200.00 for A/F and Fuel Pressure gauges mounted in Speed of Sound dual pod pillar. Still have a brand new in the box 60K volt GMS coils for sale. Remaining problem is the car has 3.73 gears. Can't install my American Muscle tune without voiding the warranty on the new motor (3 years).

PONY Member

Quote:
Well the motor is in, waiting for the used cats, got a great deal. I sold the supercharger last night for 5000.00 C$ plus 200.00 for A/F and Fuel Pressure gauges mounted in Speed of Sound dual pod pillar. Still have a brand new in the box 60K volt GMS coils for sale. Remaining problem is the car has 3.73 gears. Can't install my American Muscle tune without voiding the warranty on the new motor (3 years).
Whats wrong with the gears? Thats what i have...
Yeah tuning always voids now.

post #84 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Whats wrong with the gears? Thats what i have...
Yeah tuning always voids now.

There's nothing wrong with the gears but the stock tune is for 3.15 gears, putting an aftermarket tune will void the warranty. I wonder if the dealership can flash the ecu with the right info for the 3.73's?

MACH I Member

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the gears but the stock tune is for 3.15 gears, putting an aftermarket tune will void the warranty. I wonder if the dealership can flash the ecu with the right info for the 3.73's?
Since 3.73s were a factory option, I don't see why not.

Although I'm not sure if the 3.73s were a factory option with an automatic transmission....

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Considering the replacement cost of your new 5.0 coyote, I would stay stock, at least for the warranty period... You're going to be pretty upset if something happens to your new engine, and hear " Sir, your warranty is void due to an after market tune".... wait it out, then re decide at a later date.
On the other hand, you can throw caution in the wind and hope for the best!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
PONY Member

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh (x2) well i'd hope so, surely do ask about that!

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:

From what I understand, they can only flash for gear sizes that came as stock or an option for that particular vehicle. Since the autos only came with 3.15's, I didn't think they (the dealer) could change the gearing in the PCM. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe with the FRPP tune they can??

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin View Post
From what I understand, they can only flash for gear sizes that came as stock or an option for that particular vehicle. Since the autos only came with 3.15's, I didn't think they (the dealer) could change the gearing in the PCM. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe with the FRPP tune they can??
See, if you had a manual... LOL

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
See, if you had a manual... LOL

I do now! With 3.73's.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page