Ford Mustang Forum banner

Stock axle backs with bbk Long tubes?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  adspru 
#1 ·
My next mod is going to be exhaust to wake this bad boy up. It is a mustang so pretty much any exhaust is going to sound good in my opinion, leading me to do the headers and cat delete for some power. My question is will bbk long tubes with a x pipe made for the long tubes work with stock cat backs? Also what is the benefit of aftermarket over axle pipes considering so many companies make axle backs? Like down the road if the stock mufflers get old and I want to go with something different what am i missing out on by just replacing them and leaving the stock over pipes? Thanks in advance guys!

#3 ·
The stock over the axle pipes are not perfectly mandrel bent and have crimps at the resonators and where the pipes go over the axle. I would recommend replacing them with the JPC/Lethal Performance over the axle pipes as they are perfectly mandrel bent 304 stainless steel and I believe they are worth an extra 10hp or so. Plus these will connect to any factory or aftermarket axleback, so it will be very easy to change the sound your exhaust in the future if you get tired of your current mufflers.

#4 ·
Hey 5.0,

You will be completely fine running BBK longtube Headers with stock Axle-Backs.

The only reason you will ever need to change your axle backs is if you're looking to go a different route in regards to sound!

When it comes to your over axle-pipes you will be completely fine saving money and keeping your stock over-axle pipes.

On my personal 2014 GT I run Stainless works Longtube Headers with their matching X pipe into my stock over-axle pipes and then into Corsa Sport Quad Tip Axle-Backs and I absolutely love it!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

#7 ·
LT's with X, stock OA and AB's

I love the sound. It's very well muffled for driving around the neighborhood pretending to be the upstanding citizen that I know you are. However, As you get over the 3500 rpm range it really opens up, by 4500 rpms it's screaming to 7k, at which point you will shift but the screaming doesn't stop because you are already at 4500, genius:) .

I think I would personally enjoy the sound even more if it was an H instead of an X, actually, I should really say I'd like to have both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.