Ford Mustang Forum banner

Supercharged cars - tires

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  fullsail 
#1 ·
I didn't see this addressed anywhere directly, but with a generic supercharger kit putting the 5.0 at 550+ whp, what kind of tires or other mods are required to get the car to hook up? It sounds like drag radials would work, but what if you want to maintain handling ability? How quickly do you go through tires?

Tempted to look at superchargers but I'm not interested in just spinning tires all day and not being able to put all that power down.

#2 ·
You need more information- where do you want to "hook?" Street or track? What would you call "good handling ability?" Are we looking for 1.5 60' or 1.8???

The short answer is- you need a lot, and don't put drag radials on a stick car.

#3 ·
On the street. I don't mean anything specific as long as the handling doesn't deteriorate from where it is now. I currently have 285s on the rear but those get squirrely sometimes even NA. Mainly wondering what it takes to make a supercharged mustang usable, or if its just going to be billowing smoke coming from the rear tires every time you hit it.

#9 ·
First, if we knew the details of your car, we would understand what "where it is now" means. You'll notice that most folks have the details of their cars and mods in their signature line, and I would suggest you also do this.

Second, of course it's going to be capable of wheel spin. If you are getting wheel spin now, you will be able to do it easier with more power. However, I'm lost on the "every time you hit it" part. You're going to have a lot more power. It will be up to you to use it properly.

#4 ·
My only experience with FI on an S197 was my '09 GT500. With full Griggs Street Toy suspension and Nitto NT05 non-DR 285's traction sucked. Fast forward to my 2013 Boss. BMR springs, LCA, and relo brackets. OE Pirelli's break loose at half throttle in second gear. Out of necessity I embrace the "drifter lifestyle". That got old and new tire time came around so I decided to go to the top of the food chain: Michelin Pilot Super Sport. These tires completely transformed my car. Traction on corner exit is so much improved I have had to recalibrate my brain not to anticipate countersteering at every turn. Will they stand up to a blower? I don't know. But I doubt there is anything better.

#5 ·
If you want grip AND handling, I'd recommend 20x11 wheels with 315/30-20 R888s. I've run 305/35-19 M/T DRs with 700rwhp and the grip is excellent, but they aren't made for cornering. Don't get me wrong, the cornering was alright, but if you specifically want good handling, go for the R888s. (UPR Pro Street suspension helps a lot too)

#6 ·
I came here to say the same thing. 20 or 19x11 with 315's with a low utqg rating.
BUT i was going to recommend BMR suspension. LCA's, UCA's, If your lowered then LCA relocation brackets, Panhard bar, Driveshaft loop and maybe a driveshaft. and a wheelie bar

I did just order the UPR catch can though! I would suggest getting a UPR SC version when you get a supercharger.

#7 ·
You're not going to hook on the street. You just won't.

I would never, ever run 20's on a car unless I just wanted it to look cool. 18's are where it's at IMO for an S197.

The R888/NT01 is a kind of decent tire, I guess. It's really a road course track day tire more than a street tire, but whatever. If I wanted more longevity I'd look towards the 200TW segment, since you won't be "hooking" and you want to run on the street, things like ET Drags and Quick Time Pros are not options.

It's mostly going to be an exercise in right foot control. IMO, anything over 500hp on a street car is wasted, but I have a lot of weird opinions.

#8 ·
I would never, ever run 20's on a car unless I just wanted it to look cool. 18's are where it's at IMO for an S197.
I agree about the 20's. However, I need to run 19's to clear my extended balljoints. Maybe I'm old school, but I was always taught to go with the smallest diameter wheel you can get to fit around your brakes, suspension, etc.

IMO, anything over 500hp on a street car is wasted, but I have a lot of weird opinions.
Not such thing as wasted horsepower. ;)

#11 ·
I'm currently running 285/19 Continental Extreme Contact DW tires in the back. Other mods are lower control arms, koni orange dampers, ford racing p-springs, aluminum driveshaft and adjustable front and rear sway bars.

I'm mainly concerned about taking the usability out of the car by giving it too much power. I just just go test drive an 11/12 GT500 and see what its like.

#13 ·
Steeda bump steer kit and proforged extended ball joints (19 mm) from BMR.

#15 ·
OK thanks CSAMSH. For awhile there I thought I made a big mistake wasting money that I really don't have much of. Sorry OP about temporarily hijacking your thread.

#17 ·
Sorry for causing confusion. I was apparently smoking crack when I posted. I meant the 19's were necessary for my intended brake kit, not the ball-joints. Sorry for being an idiot.

#16 ·
I run MT ET street II's on the street, and they are awesome for hooking. My car is a M6 also so you can run these with a manual. IMO get the stickiest radials you can or you could end up like that turbo mustang that smashed into those people watching the race.

#20 ·
275 pilot super sports and I love them. Once it is above 60 degrees the car will hook in 2nd.

#21 ·
I vote for a 3.15 gear ratio with a Detroit Tru Trac differential with some new rear adjustable lower control arms and a new adjustable panhard bar or watts link if its for the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.