Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

boss 302 intake questions,tuning?

19K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  graz 
#1 ·
i will be installing a boss 302 intake soon on my 2014 gt.
i have never done anything to require a tune before.
i see there are ways to work around getting the install kit that they say is needed to finish install.
but a tune is needed? where do i get? how is this done,and what will it cost? do i have to buy a tuner? can car be driven after install with no tune?
just need a tune that will take it to stock running condition.
also will my stock air inlet hoses fit,not planning on buying a c.a.i.
want to keep stock for now.
thank you everyone.

#2 ·
i will be installing a boss 302 intake soon on my 2014 gt.

i have never done anything to require a tune before.

i see there are ways to work around getting the install kit that they say is needed to finish install.

but a tune is needed? where do i get? how is this done,and what will it cost? do i have to buy a tuner? can car be driven after install with no tune?

just need a tune that will take it to stock running condition.

also will my stock air inlet hoses fit,not planning on buying a c.a.i.

want to keep stock for now.

thank you everyone.

Yes the manifold requires a tune to for your mustang to function properly, the instructions tell you specifically not to start it until you've loaded the tunes. You can skip the install kit but only if you have an aftermarket cai and even then it requires some fenagaling to make it all work. The stock inlet will not fit, well because i tried, i know the steeda intake and the jlt intake So either get an aftermarket intake or get the install kit. You can literally get a tuner and a canned tune from any major mustang parts dealer bama tunes from american muscle are probably the most widely used, Or you can have it dyno tuned in a shop. Pretty sure a tuner and tunes are around $400, just do some research about the different companies that make tunes for our cars. Google is a great place to start.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
yea i see the hand held tuners for around 400.00.
but i cant see spending that on something i will use once.
not going to race car,so i wouldn't be changing tunes around.
sounds like i have no option? if i put intake on,i cant drive or start till i tune,or tow to a shop to tune. not sure what to do now?
maybe i will just pass on this modd.
thank you

#4 ·
dont get the boss 302 intake if you cant afford the tune. You said you werent going to race either, which is what this intake is for. IF you just like the look, $500 is $$$$ for looks. If you call a place like MPT or LUND and tell them you want a stock tune calibrated for the boss intake Im 99% sure they can do that. Not sure why you would want less performance though. The $400 should include the tuner and 1-3 tunes for your car.

Also i was wondering if the Airaid intake TUBE would fit on the boss intake with the stock air box.

#5 ·
I have a Boss 302 intake manifold and use it with the factory airbox. If you choose to keep the factory airbox then you will need the Boss inlet tube and reroute the purge valve. Neither of which are difficult.

Contrary to what the vast majority of people will tell you, it can be driven without any tune revisions. I drove mine for several weeks without one. However, if you want to take advantage of the increased high RPM functionality the intake is designed for, you need a tune.

Ultimately, I do agree with the others. If you're not wanting to, or can't afford to, load a tune to take advantage of the intake then save your money. The factory intake manifold looks pretty good on its own. I've even thought about putting mine back on.

#7 ·
I have a SCT X4 with Bama 91 tune, just sent them my info and all mods I had (including 302 intake) and they sent me the tune. Loaded easily and worked perfectly first time I started the car up. Big increase in power from 6500-7500rpm.

#8 ·
i can afford the tune and intake,just didnt want to have to buy a tuner for 400.00 and use it once.
and yes i thought about it and with only gains at high rpm's why bother spending all this money on something and never use it for what its designed for.
thank you everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.