TPMS question - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56 View Post
Slightly on-topic post, here.

One thing I've wanted to try with these silly TPMS systems is taking all four sensors and sealing them into a container- PVC pipe, maybe- with a Schrader valve on it. That way, you could run any tire/wheel combo you wanted without worrying about the sensors. Just stow the PVC container in the trunk and off you go. The computer thinks everything is fine, and it will even let you know when to top off the air in your container. It would require you checking the air in your tires from time to time (*gasp* the horror!), but you could run any wheels that fit, and even swap them at will.
No offense, but it most likely will not work. The sensors need to be triggered by motion before they will transmit.

2014 Mustang GT, Premium, Race Red, MT82, 3.55, Steeda Suspension, Steeda Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Steeda Tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Sorry 2014GT. The sensors are always on. They are not triggered by motion.

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post
Sorry 2014GT. The sensors are always on. They are not triggered by motion.
Actually, they are not. They go to sleep (or transmit at a much slower frequency) to conserve battery life and are awakened by motion. This is why every attempt to trick these sensors with pipes or placing them in the spare tire never works. If you don't believe me, just Google the specs on these sensors.

2014 Mustang GT, Premium, Race Red, MT82, 3.55, Steeda Suspension, Steeda Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Steeda Tuned.

GT Member

toyota and lexus sometimes use tpms in there full size spares.. Im not saying your wrong but they dont really ever move..

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
toyota and lexus sometimes use tpms in there full size spares.. Im not saying your wrong but they dont really ever move..
I'm not sure about how Toyota or Lexus configures their systems... just how Ford does it.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_GT View Post
Actually, they are not. They go to sleep (or transmit at a much slower frequency) to conserve battery life and are awakened by motion. This is why every attempt to trick these sensors with pipes or placing them in the spare tire never works. If you don't believe me, just Google the specs on these sensors.
The sensors-in-a-pressurized-pipe trick will probably work as long as your drives remain under about 20 miles, round trip.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I read some different sources about the PVC pipe method. However it is unclear if you need ONE sensor in the pipe or all 4. Otherwise the TPMS error comes up.

The shop I got to take my wheels off...didn't have the right tool to unscrew the sensors... yeah I know they were a hole-in-the-wall shop here in Atlanta so shame on me.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

If you do go to the expense/time of getting new ones installed it is also an opportunity for the tires shop to damage your rims or car.

When I bought my take offs for winter use the previous owner had transferred his to the new rims. The selling price reflected that if there had been sensors they would have been worth +$100. If I was offered two sets one with/one without I'd pick the without to save $100.

.02 of opinion

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I like the idea of the sensors in a pvc pipe and stowed in the trunk. It would really prove useful for those that race different styles. Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page