2014 GT -- Need help diagnosing noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 GT -- Need help diagnosing noise

Hi All,

I've lurked here occasionally in the past. I joined because my 2014 Mustang GT has developed an intermittent noise and I don't know what's causing it. I was hoping that some of you out there might be able to help.

I basically have an intermittent noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine bay on the passenger side. The sound only appears under light throttle conditions. It does seem to be provoked by aggressive use of the throttle, for example when doing some quick acceleration onto the highway.

I made a recording of the sound that you can hear if you follow the link. The sound is the irregular higher pitched sound that you can hear above the road noise.

I fear that it might be detonation, but I have searched threads here and haven't found someone describe a sound like what I have going on in my car. I will appreciate your help. The sound is the irregular higher pitched sound that you can hear above the road noise.

I fear that it might be detonation, but I have searched threads here and haven't found someone describe a sound like what I have going on in my car. I will appreciate your help.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khUA...m-upload_owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I can't get the link to work.....

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBillyPaul View Post
I can't get the link to work.....
+1 on the video link not working... goes to a white page and nothing loads.

2014 Mustang GT, Premium, Race Red, MT82, 3.55, Steeda Suspension, Steeda Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Steeda Tuned.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015
GT Member

its like a scraping noise almost.

no idea why this site and youtube dont work well together but link works for yall now on my post.
this----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khUAdd0_tSw

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015
Apprentice

Garage
OP, do you have any mods?

2014 Mustang GT, Premium, Race Red, MT82, 3.55, Steeda Suspension, Steeda Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Steeda Tuned.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_GT View Post
OP, do you have any mods?
Oops. I forgot to mention that my car is stock. No mods.

GT / 6MT / Brembo / 3.73
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
its like a scraping noise almost.

no idea why this site and youtube dont work well together but link works for yall now on my post.
Thanks for reposting the video link. It will be hard to know what I'm talking about without seeing the video.

The noise definitely has a metallic sound to it. It could be a rattle too, but I have been struggling to think of what could make such a sound.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RubyRedGT View Post
Thanks for reposting the video link. It will be hard to know what I'm talking about without seeing the video.

The noise definitely has a metallic sound to it. It could be a rattle too, but I have been struggling to think of what could make such a sound.
no problem. Next time when it doesnt work copy past your URL for the video with extra character in front of the link with no spaces like i did with the ----. OR For others that cant watch the video, When you get the black page go up the the url and find the Http://youtubeXXXXXXX in the middle of the url and cut it out and search the part you cut out. for some reason this site adds a ton of url info.

OP i would check all of your compartments for stuff, glovebox, cup holders, door pockets. after that see if it will do it in nuetral when reving. if it does then have someone else rev it while your head is stuck in place you hear it. maybe its something to do with the a/c- heater. idk

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015
PONY Member

My advice take it for what it's worth. Take it to a Ford dealer. Believe me. I had a noise and posted on this forum and got several good guesses. In the end, I took it to the dealer and drove it with the tech. He was able to observe the noise and honestly told me he had no idea what it was. I left the car, got a free loaner and later that day they told me they had to call Ford. They provided diagnostic procedures and the problem was isolated and resolved. Got the car back the next day. No one here had guessed even close. Good luck and please post when you have it resolved as I did to help others. Noises are hard to describe and diagnose remotely sometimes.

Last edited by Rogan01; 03-08-2015 at 04:33 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
OP i would check all of your compartments for stuff, glovebox, cup holders, door pockets. after that see if it will do it in nuetral when reving. if it does then have someone else rev it while your head is stuck in place you hear it. maybe its something to do with the a/c- heater. idk
Yeah, I've already ruled out loose stuff in the glovebox (and elsewhere). I also checked to make sure that my cabin air filter was secure and that nothing obvious was rattling around up there. That said, the noise is definitely coming from the direction of the engine bay.

I've also done some tests like you suggested. It's weird. Sometimes when I have been cruising along and heard the noise, I would change gears, put it in neutral and change revs, etc... and convince myself that it was a rattle. However, there was one time when the noise was very clearly related to how much throttle I was using. I would hear the noise off-throttle and then it would go away on throttle. Perhaps it was still a rattle, but I want to put to rest that it might be something more damaging like detonation.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
My advice take it for what it's worth. Take it to a Ford dealer. Believe me. I had a noise and posted on this forum and got several good guesses. In the end, I took it to the dealer and drove it with the tech. He was able to observe the noise and honestly told me he had no idea what it was. I left the car, got a free loaner and later that day they told me they had to call Ford. They provided diagnostic procedures and the problem was isolated and resolved. Got the car back the next day. No one here had guessed even close. Good luck and please post when you have it resolved as I did to help others. Noises are hard to describe and diagnose remotely sometimes.
Point taken. However, I was hoping that this community could perhaps give some insight before I start talking to a mechanic.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RubyRedGT View Post
Point taken. However, I was hoping that this community could perhaps give some insight before I start talking to a mechanic.
when i bought mine i heard a rattle sound. i knew it was coming from the back seat area tho. turned out to be a missing screw on the back seat latch.. went to ford and they said they would take care of it but it was a special self tapping bolt that needed to be ordered and it would take 8 weeks. after 2 weeks i went to google and didnt some part number finding. I found it and got it in two days by myself.

moral of the story is, dont rely on the dealership. but they can do stuff for free.

PONY Member

Quote:
when i bought mine i heard a rattle sound. i knew it was coming from the back seat area tho. turned out to be a missing screw on the back seat latch.. went to ford and they said they would take care of it but it was a special self tapping bolt that needed to be ordered and it would take 8 weeks. after 2 weeks i went to google and didnt some part number finding. I found it and got it in two days by myself.

moral of the story is, dont rely on the dealership. but they can do stuff for free.
Did you diagnose the problem or did the Ford dealer? Seems like they figured it out and you then got the part. Just saying, from my recent experience, if you are under warranty, no problem with using this forum as I frequently do for help/advise but why not take it in to the dealer for a diagnosis? Especially with a recurring noise as they have access to diagnostic equipment. My 2 cents. Good luck OP and please post your resolution either way.
PONY Member

Garage
My ears aren't the greatest, but I honestly can't hear anything unusual in that video.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
Good luck OP and please post your resolution either way.
Thanks. It seems like the noise is a puzzle to the community here too.

I'll definitely re-post if I get it resolved. However, I am pretty swamped at work through the end of this month. Since no one thinks it might be something like detonation, I have less of sense of urgency to get it looked at. I'll take it someone in a few weeks.

Thanks to all for the inputs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page