Stone chips.. On the rims??? What to do to protect stock AND chromes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Stone chips.. On the rims??? What to do to protect stock AND chromes?

Hey all, I am noticing rock or stone chips on my factory 18"s... They seem to ding and chip up easily... what gives? What can we put on them to help protect?

I will be putting on the AM 2010 oem chrome rims too. Chrome rims can be sensitive to waxes and stuff what do you guys recommend? That totally "pure " wax like carnuba (sp)? Something else?

2011 GT auto, 40k miles, mild tune
"If the price of your advice is an insult, I guarantee you I won't be listening."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've heard from a few guys that they have their wheels powder coated with a clear. I have a few chips from regular driving too.

'12 Black GT Premium, 6 Speed, Hurst Shifter, GT500 Spoiler, Staggered Shelby Razors, Michelin PSS, BMR SFCs, Borla S, Cortex Suspension with Coil Overs and Watts Link, Whiteline Front Sway bar and LCAs
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015
Apprentice

They are wheels mate, damage/debris is almost unavoidable.

I just got new chrome rims, and after only 100 miles, I already have some very light scratches on one of the wheels from normal highway driving.

The best protection, in my opinion, is putting some nice wax on it. If the wheel is smooth and slippery, you would think light debris should deflect better.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015
Apprentice

stay out of te gravel....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015
GT Member

The paint quality and application on the wheels on these cars is awful, even on the GT500.

That said, this stuff just happens, no way to avoid it.

Powder coat is an option for durability but, if you do damage it, say with a curbing incident, there is no repair. I'd say stripping and repainting them with good quality caliper paint or similar will give you good durability and easy correction.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I really like Mothers chrome polish.
As far as protection, try to avoid gravel & road construction areas.

1990 Oxford White GT(The White Elephant) Maximum Motorsports subframes & c/c plates , Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster "Delta Flow" mufflers, 3.73's & Mac girdle, A/C, EGR, & Smog deleted, "B" Springs, chrome Pony R's 17x8, 17x10 daily driver!
2003 SVT Cobra, Redfire Metallic
JLT RamAir Intake, Billetflow 2.93 pulley+ idlers, Mac Pro-Chamber O/R mid-pipe, Nitto 315 dr's,Billetflow brace,weight reduction, Tuned by Amazon T.S. w/ SCT software- 451rwhp/457tq
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeybiscuits View Post
They are wheels mate, damage/debris is almost unavoidable.
This.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

A. Thanks for the ideas.

hmm, well I am never in gravel.

"They are rims" excuse doesn't play well. Here's why - After having several, several cars ... I dont have even one that marks up like the factory mustang rims. I think these Ford rims are substandard:

#1 I *slightly" hit one with the lug wrench, it chipped/dented instantly!!
#2 I have another vehicle, different manufacturer, 4x the mileage NO chips, dings, dents.. nothing.
#3 None of my other 20 + cars rims (owned) have ever been so easy to damage. Chrome, satin, metallic, MANY manufacturers - you name it.

I'll try wax... Hope the chromes aren't this bad. Can you clear powdercoat chromes?

"If the price of your advice is an insult, I guarantee you I won't be listening."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015
GT Member

Like I said, the paint and its application is crap. I had to have Ford replace a wheel when a big chunk flaked off after a week, and I have the premium bbp wheels.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member

Garage
5.0 stang:

The factory body paint and finish on the rims is terrible. I know someone that while opening their door brushed his key against the paint and immediately took it to the primer. The front end bumper also chips super easily. I actually took my front bumper off and took it to my painter who sprayed another layer of clear on it, instantly making the finish more durable.

The finish of the factory rims is so weak that driving on salted roads will pit/nick them up. My solution....I keep the factory wheels on during the winter months, and use my American Muscle rim/tire combo for spring, summer, and fall.

Jedi Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3735.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	420794  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
GT Member

Eventually, these will get gnarly enough, I will just pull them, strip them and refinish them properly, in a colour that's suits me. I like the look of the BBP wheels but, the factory paint is junk.

I kind of look at it like an opportunity to personalize the car a bit. This is a budget sports car and I expect a few corners cut at this price point. Nothing i can't fix easily though so, no worries. For now, I just try to keep them clean and drive on.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Eventually, these will get gnarly enough, I will just pull them, strip them and refinish them properly, in a colour that's suits me. I like the look of the BBP wheels but, the factory paint is junk.

I kind of look at it like an opportunity to personalize the car a bit. This is a budget sports car and I expect a few corners cut at this price point. Nothing i can't fix easily though so, no worries. For now, I just try to keep them clean and drive on.
Makes sense man. JediDave, I totally agree with your statements... I wasnt going to mention the paint. But you are correct. I will try to wax the chromes.

Apprentice

Maybe try 3M clear bra? It certainly protects paint/clear coat from chips/defects. If done correctly, you wouldn't know its there. It may be hard to apply with all the contours on wheels, though.

2018 GT Base | Black | Auto | Roush Phase 1 Supercharger | Roush Triple Adjustable Coilovers | Forgestar 19X10, 19X11 wheels
Apprentice

This is sort of extreme...but you can plastic-dip your wheels. I've seen people who dip them in black, then paint over them to give them a similar aluminum or silver finish, even with some gloss. It would be a lot easier than applying a film or bra to it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in