One wheel spin, 2012 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

One wheel spin, 2012 GT

I am trying to get my 2012 GT out of an icy parking spot and only the passenger side rear wheel is spinning. Is the rear limited slip broken? At one point the driver's side "woke up" and spun but only briefly.

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015
GT Member

Are you certain you have limited slip? I recall there was a point with these cares that not all had the posi, just can't recall at what time it went to all having posi.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

Old 03-11-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I was pretty sure I did. I have axle code BB 3.73s. Have left some nice double burnout stripes in the past.

I'm still stuck but now both are spinning... Weird...

Possibly the clutches in the diff were just cold?

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace

Old 03-11-2015
GT Member

I saw the 3:73 part after I posted, those I believe were always posi. You might have guessed it, cold or slightly glazed clutches causing it to not engage properly. Good luck on getting the car out.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

Old 03-11-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
You may need to replace the clutches. It's not a terribly difficult job but does require you to remove the spider gears from the differential.
Old 03-11-2015
PONY Member

Its probably not broken yet.

The limited slip does very little on ice. It uses torque on the spider gears to squeeze the clutches. If your on ice, there is no torque on the spider gears, and no squeezing of the clutch packs.

If you keep roasting one tire though, you will be burning up the differential.

Shovel it out, put some sand (or a rag) under that tire, rock it back and forth, or get someone to push on the top of one of the front tires to help.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
Old 03-11-2015
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

throw some salt in front and back of the wheels, wait 30 seconds and GO!
If that don't work, you'll have to wait until spring

2007 Mustang GT Convertible
Roushcharger ( chrome M90 ),roush suspension, roush short throw shifter, borla exhaust, style bar with light, strut tower bar, 3.73, and one heavy right foot! :kooky:
Old 03-12-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

One wheel spin, 2012 GT

After a little while the driver's side wheel woke up for good. Makes sense that the lack of torque was causing problems. I didn't spin too long with just the one wheel.

Still had a hell of a time getting out. Shredded a packing blanket I keep in the trunk for when I have to get under the car, by trying to use it for traction. I started digging through the ice and into the mud. Ultimately had to recruit the two biggest dudes I could find on the street, and with some wood and them pushing I finally got out. Thanks dudes, didn't get your names.

Only in New York City would it take two hours to just get out of a parking spot and then another hour to wash the damn thing at a BP with a $5 self serve gun.

I was a little freaked out by the one wheel peel on ice, so I had to prove to myself that everything was ok: One wheel spin, 2012 GT-imageuploadedbyautoguide1426144951.561327.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Weird day!

One wheel spin, 2012 GT-imageuploadedbyautoguide1426145010.127137.jpg

Old 03-12-2015
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Glad all is well. With all the snow and ice on Cape Cod this Winter my 5.0 is a Garage Queen.

2019 Velocity Blue GT 6m Premium
401a
Black Out Package
B&O Stereo
Active Valve Exhaust
Old 03-12-2015
Apprentice

When in snow turn off the TC.

2012 GT/CS 'Vert. Triple Black
Old 03-14-2015
PONY Member

What he said above me.

I was at the repair shop Thursday to get the pinion seal replaced. There was an ice build up on the north side of the building where they pulled the car out onto.

When I went to pull away, the wheels spun and zero traction.
Turned off the TC and presto.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Old 03-14-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
What he said above me.

I was at the repair shop Thursday to get the pinion seal replaced. There was an ice build up on the north side of the building where they pulled the car out onto.

Kids. Old Guys Rule!

2012 GT/CS 'Vert. Triple Black
Old 03-16-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
What he said above me.

Oh I did. Turned off traction control, advancetrak, everything. Eventually I had both wheels spinning their way right through the ice and into the mud. Haha. I hate winter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in