Ford Mustang Forum banner

Why hasn't anyone made 10" wide brembo style wheels?

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Norm Peterson 
#1 ·
I've looked around on American muscle and noticed there is the track pack style wheel, which look like the stock brembo wheels except black. These are available in 10" wide versions. I've also just noticed that American Muscle is stocking dark charcoal brembo style wheels in 10" wide versions. However some reading shows that these are a few shades darker than the OEM brembo wheels. Does anyone else think stock brembo style wheels that are available in 10" wide version would be pretty popular? I could keep the stock wheels and tires on the front and upgrade the back to wider tires. That would be quite a bit cheaper than replacing all 4 wheels and tires. Or is there just not enough popularity in this style of wheel to warrant a 10" wide version?

#2 ·
Not sure why they aren't made, but you could look into having a set of stock 9" brembo's widened. Probably slightly cheaper than new wheels that way, assuming you already own a set. :)

#3 ·
Maybe it's because they are ugly as sin? :)

JK, just my personal opinion, and you know what they say about opinions . . . :heha:

But seriously, maybe there are copyright rules at play? They probably can't make them too exact a knock-off because they would get in trouble with big brother Ford.

#4 ·
Best to get the 10" black version and have them painted to match, possibly at a professional wheel restoration facility. The brembo wheels are at least a two stage (possibly 3) paint process which makes them difficult to match.

If you widen a stck wheel you will have to run a hub spacer to address the offset issue which widening alone does not solve.

#18 ·
This is a good point. A professional wheel restoration facility such as AWRS are moblie and will come to you. I've read about them on another forum and they did very good work. I called them and they recommended to start with black and they'd add the "hyper silver" to them to match the other wheels. Also read were others widened the wheels, but that cost the same as buying and painting. Also always a little cautious about welding aluminum.

#5 ·
Aftermarket companies wont do that because they lose out on the sale of two front wheels. They would be shooting themselves in the foot with potential revenue...

Also, I'm sure there is some legalities in the way of using the OEM paint color....I could be wrong...

#6 ·
You could paint the AM wheels the stock color before mounting tires on them. That's an option. I like the charcoal color though. It hides the brake dust better.

Pete

#7 ·
I personally don't mind the brembo wheels. If I could get different ones I would, but I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative to going wider in the back. I like the idea of painting the wheels, but If I'm going to be going through that effort, I may as well just get 4 new wheels. I could always use the stocks as spares. I suppose there are probably legal implications as well preventing an identical pair from being manufactured, so I'll quit holding my breath and save up some more money haha.

#8 ·
I think most people buying aftermarket wheels are looking for a different look than OEM besides different sizes. Everyone wants their car to be unique right?

#10 ·
I absolutely love the look of my OEM wheels, and don't currently have plans to ever swap them out.

#13 ·
I absolutely love the look of my OEM wheels, and don't currently have plans to ever swap them out.

#21 ·
It's not that a 275 won't fit. It will fit, but will be more for maximum grip as opposed to turn-in and road feel. The optimal size tire for a 9" rim is a 255. For a 9.5 it's a 265 and a 10 it's 275-285. A 255 on a 9" will have a close tread width to the 275 on that same wheel. 275s will fit by a mile and you don't have to widen it unless you want to maximize the tread width of that tire.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Yes always check with manufacturer. I went 275/40/19's on Brembo wheels all around with continental extreme contact dw summer tires with no problem. Tire rack specs say 9" rim works.
9's are OK for 275/40's . . . but only just barely.

Once in a while you find an outlier to the T&RA tables, but in nearly all cases you'll find 285's in 40 or lower profile needing at least 9.5" wide wheels. 285/45 and taller are truck tires and don't really count here.

Conti seems to be the only tire mfr selling through Tire Rack willing to let people run 285/35-19's on wheels as narrow as 9", so I would never use them as a good example to follow generally.

Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.