Ford Mustang Forum banner

Tuner In Hand...Buy SC Kit...

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Tominator 
#1 ·
This question is mostly for the vendors I suppose...

I already have a Diablo Sport Tuner w/lifetime BAMA tunes from American Muscle and now considering a Procharger or Vortech SC .

Is it possible to but the kit without the tuner but get the tune and load it with the tuner already purchased?

Options and opinions please?

#2 ·
Hey Tom,

Great question! Whenever you are ready to order your blower, let me know and I can definitely get in touch with the manufacturer and see if I can get a kit out to you minus the tuner, should not be a problem!

When are you thinking about going the boost route?

-Will

#3 ·
Ok, but that only partially answers my question.

Can the supplied tune be used with the Diablo instead of the SCT tuner that seems the choice of tuner is all these kits.

And then can that tune be modified for the more aggressive shifting for the automatic transmission Mustangs as the BAMA race tune has included?

#5 ·
I am quite capable of the installation myself. It is only the installation of the tune that concerns me. Thx

Sooner or later it would get tuned on the dyno, but most of the kits I see come with a SCT tuner. I've purchased a Diablo and that $400 I'd prefer not to throw away!

#6 ·
Problem is going to be finding someone that uses diablo since software is different. I was saying VMP or Beefcake can just send a tune, but they do SCT. You need to find a place that can send a diablo tune, which I don't know of any.

#7 ·
Good Day Tominator,

I just got off the phone with Vortech, and they informed me that a kit is available without the tuner.

Regarding the tuner and the tune, they are unable to provide a baseline tune for the diablo sport tuner. I recommend having your car taken to a shop to for a custom tune after installation.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. You can PM me directly or use any of the contact information listed in my signature below.

Thank you. :handshake

-Shawn

#8 ·
Problem is going to be finding someone that uses diablo since software is different.
Though the software is 'different' they must speak the correct language to communicate with the ECM.

IMHO, BAMA should be able to read and copy the changes to their software.

Shawn,

Having been a Vortech customer for 15 years I had already touched base with them on the availability of their kit sans tuner, but thanks for the effort!

I'm wondering if AM takes trade ins?:handshake

#9 ·
#11 ·
From the linked page above...

NOTE: These tunes come free with Bama tuner purchase
It appears that indeed the SC tunes, or at least for the SCs listed are indeed free!

#13 ·
If you had to purchase this model for the SC tunes, the "Free Tunes For Life" advertisement would be false!

Maybe someone from AM can clarify this.

#16 ·
I went through your exact issue back when I had my '05 GT. I had the Diablo and then I bought a tuner Vortech kit and had a hard time finding a tune for it. I ended up buying an SCT device anyway.... so be prepared to do the same.

#17 ·
I'd have bought a SCT tuner had I known getting a tune for the Diablo would be an issue as I had planned on a SC from the beginning.

Notice how Alex with AM has not responded any further...dissapointed.gif

#19 ·
There's a reason most tuners do not use Diablo but rather SCT.

And I find it odd that you're willing to spend over $6000 on a blower but seem to be hung up on getting a free tune for it from all places Bama.

#20 ·
The 'free tune' is not free. I paid for a SC tune when I bought the Diablo according to the wording on American Muscle....see links above...

THEN, both Procharger and Vortech will email you a tune that is only compatible with a SCT tuner AND reduce the cost by $300.

Around these parts $300 is a lot of money!

#21 ·
If you want a Paxton/Vortech setup contact Terry @ Beefcake Racing. You'll be surprised on how good the price is plus he uses Lund for tuning albeit with SCT. You could then sell the Diablo although you'll probably find it difficult to move.

#24 ·
All the 'canned' tunes are for 91 octane. The reason is that tuning for '93 without a dyno is too close to the edge of HP/engine damage.

If SCT can tune and BAMA cannot, then BAMA has no business tuning anything.....IMHO

However, the ability of BAMA to tune or not to tune a car with a power adder is not the issue.

My problem is the language used on the websites to sell you a product....all brag. No fact....

Again, you'll notice how all the vendors are VERY conspicuous by their absence of posts in this thread!dissapointed.gif

#25 ·
In Bamas defense, it does say "some restrictions apply" and that link does exclude exclude non-stock superchargers 2011 and up.

As I said earlier, I think the best bet is to sell the Diablo and get an SCT. That's what I did when I had a Diablo because I wanted to be able to choose from more tuners.

Either way, good luck and hopefully it gets worked out so you can enjoy that boost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
Well, it is not in doubt that I'll sell the Diablo at some point.

However, American Muscle, even with it's stellar shipping and mostly great customer service, is off my vendors that I buy from list.

Had they responded by changing their wording on the site and apologizing for the misunderstanding or even a proper explanation, all would be good.

However, by their continued silence they have said a lot more....dissapointed.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.