Koni Adjustable Shocks and Struts or Eibach? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Cool Koni Adjustable Shocks and Struts or Eibach?

Hi all Mustang dudes and dudettes. I have a Black 2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack. I have lightly modified my car with the following: Eibach Pro Springs, A&M Adjustable Panhard Rod, Barton 2 Post Short Throw Shifter, Steeda CAI and Tune and FRPP Cat Back exhaust.

I just replaced my original stock tires (Pirreli PZeros) to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 255/40 - 19's. BTW, huge difference in terms of handling and ride for the better.

I am now looking at replacing The Shocks and Struts. I will be getting them from American Muscle.

I am looking at the Koni Yellow adjustable Shocks and Struts or the Eibach Pro Damper set. The Koni's are about $640 and the Eibachs are about $460.

I am hoping I can get some opinions with some Mustang guys that have either of these.

To me I can afford either one and I am leaning towards the Eibachs to keep it all in the family. However, the Koni's (I believe) are the same shocks and struts for the Boss 302.

Can anyone elaborate which should I get?

Thanks in advance

CJ
2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack, FRPP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton 2-Post Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Springs, A&M Panhard Rod, Steeda CAI & Tune
Save the Manuals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaz1961 View Post
Hi all Mustang dudes and dudettes. I have a Black 2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack. I have lightly modified my car with the following: Eibach Pro Springs, A&M Adjustable Panhard Rod, Barton 2 Post Short Throw Shifter, Steeda CAI and Tune and FRPP Cat Back exhaust.

I just replaced my original stock tires (Pirreli PZeros) to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 255/40 - 19's. BTW, huge difference in terms of handling and ride for the better.

I am now looking at replacing The Shocks and Struts. I will be getting them from American Muscle.

I am looking at the Koni Yellow adjustable Shocks and Struts or the Eibach Pro Damper set. The Koni's are about $640 and the Eibachs are about $460.

I am hoping I can get some opinions with some Mustang guys that have either of these.

To me I can afford either one and I am leaning towards the Eibachs to keep it all in the family. However, the Koni's (I believe) are the same shocks and struts for the Boss 302.

Thanks in advance
koni yellows are without a doubt better than the eibachs. More people use the yellows than probably any other adjustable shock.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015
Rookie

I have the yellows and I like them, but they are stiff. I needed something to control my sportlines, so I went with the yellows. In your case, you may want to consider the str.t. Are you just driving on the street, or do you track your car? I don't know much about the Eibachs, but more than likely they are valved perfectly for your pro's.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015
Apprentice

Think about trying Bilstein s197 struts and shocks they are lighter and stronger, 1.25 inches shorter and mono tube nitrogen charged. A little more expensive, yes but I have this set up and it flat out works. I haven't even changed sway bars yet, but I do have Vorshlag's camber/caster plates to adjust front suspension. I'm also using Eibach pro springs. Bump steer is non existent. Unless you are tracking or need adjustable Koni shocks, the ride quality is wonderful, but cornering, braking and accelerating much more controllable.

2011 GT black,6mt,3.73,Brembo,Vorschlag/Bilstein/Eibach, Scott Drake LCA brackets, adj. panhard bar, JHR shifter, bracket, and clutch line, Metco upper control arm & bracket, J&M Extreme lower control arms, RTR front spoiler, coming eventually Forgestar 18x11 wheels.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015
Rookie

bilsteins

14 GT steeda lca & uca, steeda relocation brackets, steeda front & rear sway bars, bmr panhard, 3.73, torsen, kw variant 1 coil overs
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015
GT Member

bilstiens

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

After hours of research and pricing I bought Koni Str.t [Lifetime Warranty. Auto Anything $346.20 shipped] and Steeda Sport Springs.[ $169.99 shipped]

My 2014 is a DD for the most part. Occasional drag strip will be only track time.

Gotta get rid of the row boat handling!
freewayflyer likes this.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaz1961 View Post

Thanks in advance

Hey Kamakaz -

That's a tough one - Having had both on not only domestics and imports and I would say shoot for the Eibach Pro-Damer Shocks & Struts not only from a price perspective but from a performance standpoint as well. I came out of a Euro background before I came full circle and while I had no trouble with Koni's parts or service I had a better overall driving experience running the Eibachs. I'm not commission based here and I don't get "points" for reccomending one over the other but it's only my .02 from what I've used in the past on multiple builds! Shoot me a PM if you don't have our forums discount code either and we'll see if we can knock that price down for you a little more as well!

Let me know if you're to have any other questions and I'm here to help!

Alex

Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015
Rookie

Did you finally decide which way to go?
Rookie

I have 2014 Mustang GT with Eibach Pro's and Ford Racing "K" Springs. With my Hankook Evo's I can hug those high speed curves and the ride is amazing!
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
I just installed yellows and eibach pro springs late last month. My opinion is that it is stiffer but less harsh on bigger bumps if that makes sense. I feel all the little bumps and grooves but it's not like it makes the car bounce around. The handling is 100x better. The only negative to me is that the steering is MUCH more sensitive to road surface transitions now. So in the Reno area that means my cars front end wiggles arround quite a bit in certain parts of town.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
PONY Member

I had eibach pro springs on the stock shocks and struts and it rode fine, but didn't do much other than lowering the car. I upgraded the shocks and struts along with the sway bars to eibach and now essentially have the pro system plus. Its a nice upgrade, although I can't comment on how it would compare to koni yellows. Most people on here say the koni's are better and they are adjustable so that is a plus. If you're really into the adjustability aspect and being able to dial in how you want the car to handle, i would say go Koni's. I'm more of a straight line performance guy and wanted to all my suspension parts to be under one roof so I stayed with eibach and I don't regret it.
Bill'sFive.0 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
PONY Member

I put some Koni yellows on my 944 S2 in high school and loved them. I put some Koni oranges on my Mazda 3 in college and loved them too. Never tried the Eibachs so can't comment on them, but haven't had an issue with Koni. I did try some KYB dampers once that lasted about 5k before they started squeaking, so I'd stay away from those. If you race on the weekend or do autocross, I'd recommend the yellows for adjustability. If not, the oranges will treat the just as well and cost a lot less. Happy driving.
freewayflyer likes this.

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarad View Post
Did you finally decide which way to go?
. . . OP hasn't been around for . . . 7 months today.

I've had pretty good experience with the OE springs and Koni yellows, for daily driving, longer trips, and even HPDE road course running up to and including in an advanced group. Pretty good doesn't quite mean 'perfect', but it's been plenty good.

FWIW, I don't think I'd run front springs much stiffer than about 250 or 260 lb/in with the yellows in the above range of driving situations - you'd most likely have them dialed up almost to the point of having no more adjustment left. Might go 300 for a track-only (plus the travel to and from the track) car.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Apprentice

Koni yellows for sure. I love mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page