Ford Mustang Forum banner

Failed Sync Upload: "Reinsert USB"

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wjbertrand 
#1 ·
I screwed up a Sync update by killing the motor before the update took. I now get a blinking warning indicator on my Nav screen that says: "Reinsert USB."

Reinserting the USB thumb drive (which has the update) does nothing. It continues to flash. I have no access to any Sync features, including "Master Reset" as long as I get the same message error. Re starting the car does nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
I had the same problem all day Saturday trying to perform the update, including getting the system stuck saying "reinsert USB". The prompt would disappear a few seconds after replacing the USB but the system would just sit there for over an hour and not complete. I figured I "bricked" the system because the system wouldn't work at all and none of the buttons were responsive.

I woke up Sunday with a fresh perspective and the first thing I did was go out and purchase a high quality Sandisk USB drive. Did a quick reformat on it to remove the junkware that came with it and then placed the 3 unzipped files onto it. To get the system unstuck from the "insert USB" loop, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. Doing that seemed to return the system to it's previous functionality.

I then went through the installation process again and this time it behaved differently, I could hear the system re-booting and the display changes from "installing application" to "phon" then to "Sync" and finally installation complete! It only took about 5 minutes this time.

The strongest recommendation I can offer is to get a good quality USB drive from a reputable manufacturer. I had been trying to use a freebee one some vendor gave me at a trade show.

#4 ·
I had the same problem. I forgot to start the car and I walked away for like 10 minutes after starting the install.
I came back and i couldnt tell what was going on. Pulled the USB and got the replace usb message. I put it back in and nothing.
Tried to start the car and just clicked. Thought bricked ECU. Disconnected the battery for like 5 minutes, reconnected and jumped off another vehicle and everything works. New update installed and all

#5 ·
Disconnecting the battery for five minutes did the trick. My thanks to you and the others on this thread for helping.

#6 · (Edited)
Welp, I'm not so sure about this update. Today when I first started the car my phone would not automatically connect to sync like it used to. I had to open the phone's Bluetooth settings and select sync before it would connect. When I came out from work this afternoon, again it would not automatically pair. When I said "Bluetooth audio" it said there was no BT device connected, even though the phone settings seemed to say it was. The little BT logo was displayed on the radio as well. On top of that, both times sync fell back into it's old habit of defaulting either to the USB or radio.

When I got home I tried turning off the car, opening the door until the radio display went blank and then turning on the car again. Again it defaulted to the radio or the USB again and then displayed "connecting...." and gets stuck there until I manually change the source. If I say "phone" it again just says connecting... and I cannot make any further manual or voice commands when in phone mode.

So far the only improvement with this "update" is the BT metadata display.

UPDATE: This is strange. Left the car sit all day Friday and then jumped in it to do a couple of errands this morning and everything worked perfectly, even after a couple of stops and restarts. I don't know what the problem was before but I hope it continues to work like it did today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.