Ford Mustang Forum banner

Issues after installing BMR LCA's, relocation brackets, and panhard bar...

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Blackpenguin69 
#1 ·
2 issues...

Ok, I installed the BMR LCA's with the relocation brackets and the panhard bar. The next day I noticed that I developed a rub/creak coming from the driver's side LCA area when going over bumps/acceleration from a stop and while braking. It could be from the LCA or the panhard bar, but the fact that I get it from dead stop to braking tells me that it could most likely be coming from the LCA. It's hard for me to duplicate the issue without driving. I've tried shaking the car in different directions in multiple spots and can barely get it to duplicate. I torqued to spec and greased all fittings after install.

Also, I noticed that I'm getting a clicking/knocking noise from the rear axle from 1st to 2nd gear mostly. Occasionally, I get it in 3rd. I'm not certain if the relocation brackets caused a pinion issue in my driveline or not. It's not during excessive acceleration, it's from moderate throttle input. I know that our cars are known for having driveshaft slop from the factory, but it's a little noisier than normal.

It's been a week now and the noises are still there. Luckily, they haven't gotten worse. I haven't had time to get back on a lift to try and re-torque everything and possibly put my LCA's in a different spot on the relocation brackets.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what could be causing this? I'd appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you lube the bushing faces real good? Also, the relocation of the LCAs may have changed your pinion angle. Could be your axle clunking.

Definitely check all the bolts for torque specs.

#5 ·
So, I saw a thread like mine almost immediately after I posted this thread. I didn't put lube on some of the hats of the bushings. I think I'm going to disconnect everything and lube the hats/faces of the bushings and re-torque again.

As far as the clunk, the BMR tech mentioned that stiffer LCA's could cause more noise in the differential area. More noise from the driveshaft when you have less play coming from the suspension. So, I'm gonna try and move the aft part of LCA's up one notch to see if it gets rid of some of the noise.

#3 ·
I would re torque all fasteners and re grease with synthetic grease. You may have to drop the panhard bar if there are no fittings. The LCA's will not change the pinion angle but the K springs did. I would verify that setting. The stiffer bushings will transmit more NVH but not generate the noise if installed properly.

I would give Kelly at BMR a call or email and he will walk you thru what you can try to identify where this noise may be coming from.

#4 ·
I think i know what your talking about. I have it or somthing like it. I took my relocation brackets off and it still does it. Im going to put my stock driveshaft back on today and see if it still does it. If it does then im gunna check the brakes. IF thats not it then im pretty sure its inside the diff. Its like a loud creak/ping sound. Does it like 1-2 times when pulling out of my garage and then again 1-2 times when getting into first and going and maybe once when getting in 2nd gear. Im hoping its not the driveline or supsension. I really want it to be like a brake caliper slider or somthing easy. The fact it doesnt do it while cruising or just rolling back out of the driveway easily throws out the idea of it being bearings.

#6 ·
If everything is installed and torqued properly, then any clicking/clunking is likely to be coming form your drivetrain, and being amplified by the new suspension pieces.

As for squeaks, groans, moans, etc....this will improve when/if the bushings are lubricated properly. Sometimes, it takes a little more than just putting grease through the fittings. Once you get the bushings lubricated though, you should not have to drop the ends to re-lube, you can simply just lubricate the fittings.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

#7 ·
I'm running a set of BMR relocation brackets and their panhard, and its just as quiet as the car was from the factory.

Try swapping the factory control arms back in - its a pretty easy swap, 10x easier than those damn LCA brackets. See what kind of difference that makes.

Personally I have no more plans to install aftermarket control arms. Lowered and with the control arms in the middle hole on the BMR brackets, this thing stick like glue on hard launches. With improved damping and stiffer rear springs helping the modified suspension geometry I don't have any wheelhop, and drag launches or track days are going to be a lot of fun!

#8 ·
i had mine all apart today. After switching the driveshaft and taking all the control arms off and putting them back on, i am 90% sure its am axle bearing. Its a sharp click like a snap sound and it only does it on really tight turns and starting moving forward and reverse. I spun my Right rear tire and i could faintly hear a knocking sound. Left rear didnt do that. Im guessing with the weight of the car it makes more of a snapping/clicking sound.

#10 ·
Thanks for all of that. I'm gonna try and get it up on a lift this weekend. I don't want to drive the car anymore than I have already with these sounds. I'm confident that I'll get to the bottom of it. I'm out here in England and luckily there's a place near by that does warranty work for my car. I'm gonna disconnect everything from the LCA's to the PH bar. If all checks good, I'll spin my wheels to see if I get the same thing as you. I don't notice the clicking noise on turns. It's mostly from moving forward. And it's not a consistent click, it only does it between shifts or when if I step on the gas pedal anywhere between 1st and 2nd gear.

Thanks for all of the help guys, keep em' coming! I'll be sure to keep you guys posted to see what I find out!

#9 ·
So that might mean there could be a bad wheel bearing? If so, then that would be covered under a warranty I would imagine. Did you totally rule out the shifting of the brake pads?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.