Ford Mustang Forum banner

Blowfish bracket or MGW

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Fawls 
#1 ·
Well, I've decided my next mod will be something to do with the shifter. Looked at the install instructions, etc. for the blowfish bracket and MGW shifter plus read a lot on this site. Seems like the consensus is if you put the blowfish bracket on the stock shifter it's OK. The MGW looks real nice but a little more to the install. The MGW is ~470 vs 300 for the blowfish bracket but if you put a different shifter on top of that you're over $500. Looking for input

#3 ·
If you're going to track the car, drag strip or road course, go with the MGW. However, if you just want to firm-up the shifting around town, I recommend the Barton Two post shift bracket. It's easier to install and a lot cheaper. When it first came out, it received good reviews from the forum members who installed it.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-2post-shifter-bracket-1113.html

I have the MGW shifter and I love it. But, it gives a very mechanical feel. It takes a bit more effort than the stock shifter. But, I no longer miss shifts and it is definitely worth it for track sessions, road courses in my case.

#6 ·
I've got an MGW, 1st gen, with a BlowFish bracket and it's near perfection. Of course I did all this before the latest race spec MGW came out. The race spec shifter eliminates the remote mount similar to the BF bracket/1st gen MGW-BF combination, but comes all in one. If I were starting from scratch, the MGW race spec would be the way I'd go. It's better and more positive even for normal street use.

#11 ·
I've got an MGW, 1st gen, with a BlowFish bracket and it's near perfection. Of course I did all this before the latest race spec MGW came out. The race spec shifter eliminates the remote mount similar to the BF bracket/1st gen MGW-BF combination, but comes all in one. If I were starting from scratch, the MGW race spec would be the way I'd go. It's better and more positive even for normal street use.
/\ THIS/\ Plus remember; you get what you pay for!

#7 ·
MGW. Installed mine last week and it's amazing how big of a difference it made. Install is a little more involved than the Blowfish bracket of course but it can easily be done with hand tools and a couple hours of your time.

#9 ·
I have heard nothing but good on the MGW, but I can only speak on the Blowfish bracket. It is night/day difference over stock. I do have an early version of the blowfish and there is vibration noise from shifter, but meh, the benefits of not missing 3rd is worth the rattle IMO

#10 ·
I guess what I'm hearing is go with the MGW. I probably won't be taking the car to the track but the stock shifter is definitely "mushy" Oh well, it's only money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.