Ford Mustang Forum banner

Replacing rear deck-lid - 2014 GT

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Springer200 
#1 ·
I am interested in replacing my rear deck lid faux gas cap and see lots of options online. Two questions I would appreciate help with:

1) Does the entire panel need to be replaced (tail light to tail light) or can only the faux gas cap come off? If yes, how is it fastened?

2) If the entire panel needs to be taken off can this be done without breaking the clips? I have seen lots of pictures that show the clips break, apparently quite easy. Is this just a matter of not being careful, or is it difficult to remove without damaging?

I am interested in swapping, however want to be able to swap back the original in the future.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

#2 ·
If it's anything like my 13 GT, the whole panel needs to come off. The cap is manufactured onto the decklid. What you do from the removal will be dependent upon what decklid you want. If you go with CDC or RTR, there is a "hump" on the trunk for where the faux cap use to be. You will have to get a hole saw and cut that out. If you go with the trucarbon decklid, it mounts right over with no drilling. Either way, the faux cap will not remove on it's own, you have to remove the hole decklid and replace it with something else.

What were you planning on doing?

#3 ·
Also, are you just replacing the faux cap center? Like putting a 5.0 as opposed to the GT emblem? I'm almost 100% certain the faux cap does not come off of the decklid so you might have to find a different avenue. You can replace the caps on the 2010 to 2012's, but not on our models... I believe. I actually helped a buddy remove his cap from this 2012. But our decklid is one solid piece. Very inconvenient for modding dissapointed.gif

#4 ·
1) Does the entire panel need to be replaced (tail light to tail light) or can only the faux gas cap come off? If yes, how is it fastened?

2) If the entire panel needs to be taken off can this be done without breaking the clips? I have seen lots of pictures that show the clips break, apparently quite easy. Is this just a matter of not being careful, or is it difficult to remove without damaging?
1. Yes, the entire panel will need to be replaced. It is held in by an insane amount of "spring" clips that are molded into the part (seems like a stupid design, they MUST not have wanted it to rattle...). There are also a couple of screws (lower corners) if I remember correctly.

2. Probably, but it would not be easy. I worked at a body shop while in college, so I have at least a basic understanding of getting stubborn clips to release, but that panel is really tough - its held in so tightly, I could not get my tool in between to release many of the clips, and once a couple broke, I just said screw it and broke the rest. The panel itself is intact, and double-stick tape would hold it, if I wanted to put it back.

You did not ask, but I have the RTR rear, and really like it. It is metal, with rolled edges, and double-stick tapes on (that's all that holds it). I ran another bead of 3M tape around the circumference (much wider than the RTR tape) - two layers (remember the edges are rolled so it is thicker around the edges) I also cleaned the trunklid with 3M Wax & Grease Remover, which helps the tape to stick.

Its been on there at least 6 months, and it is holding perfectly.

I did cut the "bump" off of the trunklid with a cut-off wheel, which worked really well, but remember to cover the car (at least the rear) with a couple of tarps - sparks!). I also used some aerosol automotive-grade primer & some touch up paint around the exposed metal where I made the cut.

I also took aluminum tape (AC Tape - Home Depot) and covered the hole that I cut, as well as the holes for the clips, JUST IN CASE water was ever able to get between the RTR panel and the trunklid - I did not want to leave a path open into the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.