Bad shocks = tire damage? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
What do you do for a living?

No where in your world of thought

pdmustgt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member
 
sqidd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South Eastern
Posts: 9,239
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
What is number one thing shocks control too control oscillation of the springs. I seen people remove shocks from there vehicle because there to cheap to replace them and didn't cause tire issue
I see scientific theory is not your strong suit. I pretty much knew that when you started speaking in absolutes, but this confirms it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
No where in your world of thought
So not a suspension or tire engineer?


Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
sqidd is offline  
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
I see scientific theory is not your strong suit. I pretty much knew that when you started speaking in absolutes, but this confirms it.


So not a suspension or tire engineer?


Don't use big words you cannot understand. Theory not the same as facts.






Oh what do you do for living
pdmustgt is offline  
 
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member
 
sqidd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South Eastern
Posts: 9,239
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Theory not the same as facts.
Something you should consider when speaking in absolutes.

Quote:
Oh what do you do for living
I used to be suspension engineer/designer. I also spent some time testing tires for Michelin and Pirelli.

Your turn.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
sqidd is offline  
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
So you say or I could be really mean say must not been that good at it .


I'm mechanic but I have been more involved in last 10 yrs in chassis, suspension, engine in testing update parts or tests. Shocks in general don't effect tire wear or issue unless there complete dead or removed. Have seen when they're removed or completely junk vehicle had no issue with the tires but they drove like grandma
pdmustgt is offline  
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
My reason for say cannot because poeple will read this forum will think any tire issue shocks are the problem. Between me,friends and family members who work automotive and truck world shocks are most over replaced item because of being blame for tire wear or damage.

Didn't want poeple thinking shocks are issue in tire problems
In 99% of the time is not
pdmustgt is offline  
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Rogan01's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ft. Laudedale
Posts: 333
 
Many thanks to all for the kind feedback. The service manager at the chain tire store did have me come back out and had me feel the tire was wavy, out of round and the leak in the shock. Seemed straight up. Looks unlikely but possible in rare cases that shocks caused the problem but I know they had to be replaced anyway. Had to get the Cooper because already had 2. Now that we have them fairly same age we should be able to replace all 4 at the same time when they are worn. I probably not get Cooper again based on my experience and reading here.

Again, greatly appreciate the feedback!
Rogan01 is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
SquidBillyPaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, MS.
Posts: 560
 
I have seen vehicles on the interstate with a wheel bouncing up and down and assumed it was because of a bad/broken shock. If that's the case, I would imagine this would cause tire damage over time. Just my $0.02.


2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
SquidBillyPaul is offline  
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
 
Tominator's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cahokia
Posts: 3,106
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBillyPaul View Post
I have seen vehicles on the interstate with a wheel bouncing up and down and assumed it was because of a bad/broken shock. If that's the case, I would imagine this would cause tire damage over time. Just my $0.02.
There are always exceptions.....IMHO Cooper tires are sub standard.....never owned a set....

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Tominator is offline  
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member
 
sqidd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South Eastern
Posts: 9,239
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
My reason for say cannot because poeple will read this forum will think any tire issue shocks are the problem.
So your reason for providing inacurate information is perception? It doesn't matter what your reasons are, you are still making statements based on no actual knowledge. I know you don't have actual knowledge because I know of about 100 ways of destroying a tire with a damaged or incorrectly dampened damper. The blanket statements you have made are clearly not based on fact, only your conclusions based on very little data.

Quote:
Didn't want poeple thinking shocks are issue in tire problems In 99% of the time is not
And here you are flip flopping, A few posts ago you claimed that 100% of tire problems are not because of dampers.

How about you man up and admit that you don't posses the amount of knowledge to make blanket statements on this subject. And people will respect you for it. Or you can continue to make statements/claims based on having all the information at your disposal, which you don't, and people will write you off as a interwebs know it all.....that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
sqidd is offline  
MACH I Member
 
b1lk1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Long way from home
Posts: 2,747
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
What is number one thing shocks control too control oscillation of the springs. I seen people remove shocks from there vehicle because there to cheap to replace them and didn't cause tire issue
Removing shocks would make a car dangerously unstable and you would not have control after hitting a large bump and you'd crash. Period. If this is actually true, you should be reporting these morons to the state police before they kill someone besides themselves. They would absolutely have tire issues if they did this. Only a complete and utter moron would remove shocks and drive. A car becomes un-drivable when you remove dampers.

Even removing a front sway bar makes a car dangerous to drive.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

b1lk1 is offline  
GT Member
 
Blackpenguin69's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: west texas
Posts: 2,391
 
BOOM!! I knew it. Wavy tire tread = shock wear. When shocks go out, the tire is now taking all the force acking as the shock. Google it shock wear. Google bad shocks and tire wear.

On another note. The tire isnt really "out of round". It just has differenent tire thread depth. It goes up and down every 3-5 inches all the way around the tire. IT looks terrible when you spin it on the balancer. Out of round is generally a term you use when it is a manufactorer defect. Ive seen tires where they just completely left the belts out. It felt like a tube you float a river on.

SHocks do/can/will cause tire wear. PDMUSTGT

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Blackpenguin69 is offline  
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
jjandascog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 491
 
SHocks do/can/will cause tire wear. PDMUSTGT

Bad shocks/struts will kill a tire.....

2013 GT Brembo Black, 3:73, 6-Speed, GT500's, Urethan Shift Bushing, 8 Ball Shifter, J&M LCA's & PHB, Eibach Pro springs, SR Performance F/R Adj Sway bars, KONI Orange Struts & Shocks, SCT S4/XF4 tuner w/BAMA tunes.
jjandascog is offline  
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
Not flip flopping in general they don't cause tire issue. Reason why what I said you guys are talking about extreme if there no shocks at all that's what I wasn't talking about. Wave in tire don't exactly mean BAD shock hard driving , bad wheel bearings and bad alignment has Hugh effect on this. My issue is poeple will read this will think uneven wear it's has to be the shock when there's many other things that can cause this

I fully aware what shocks do and if there gone.


To boom guy Google suspension they're many suspensions without shocks on road today BOOM

Last edited by pdmustgt; 05-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.
pdmustgt is offline  
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandascog View Post
SHocks do/can/will cause tire wear. PDMUSTGT

Bad shocks/struts will kill a tire.....




Hey JJANDASCOG go bad read first post. From what I'm reading tire store did easy thing and blamed the shocks. First off how are they bad because 88000 miles? Can tire store prove there bad? Did tire store check alignment, wheel bearings, etc? Are the shocks leaking? We don't know first hand condition vehicle is in. You know how many times I've had tire guy go out to my vehicle rub his hand cross the tire oh it's bad shock REALLY. Maybe it's from way I was driving it 4x4 ranger taking corners off every other lug on inside. My wifes 02 Escape has 210,000 miles on the shocks it came with from the factory it's tires wearing ok she drives like a mad woman. There's one sure way to know if shocks are ok. Drive it down bumpy road, stop check the shocks if there warm/hot or cold. If there cold or same temp of the car there bad. Or rubber bushing has came apart in shock ends.


Maybe I should have worded it slightly different when I said THEY CANNOT. I highly doubt it's the shocks in this guys case. But you guys got your panties in twist and went off deep end which was funny to me so why not just ride it for abit .


My whole point was shocks are most over replace part and that it's so easy to blame them. jjandascog it can if there completely dead you would have to be stupid cannot feel it. But then you have to wonder what else is bad

pdmustgt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1