Do I really need to use 5W50 Oil? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gManTexas View Post
$12 a quart, it better be good. The thread over on svtperformance says not to pay retail for it though.

Anyway, is there someone on AFM that is running it and thinks that it is superior to other synthetics? Also, in line with the original question of this thread, should I be running 10w30 instead of the 5w20 being in Texas?
$20 a year and you can sign up for their preferred customer discount or whatever they call it. If you only buy oil once in a while the $20 might not be worth it. I buy a lot of oil from them so in the long run I come out pretty far ahead on it.

5w-20 will work fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
$20 a year and you can sign up for their preferred customer discount or whatever they call it. If you only buy oil once in a while the $20 might not be worth it. I buy a lot of oil from them so in the long run I come out pretty far ahead on it.

5w-20 will work fine.
Might be worth it, I have three cars, 2 of them Mustangs. They are all on Mobil 1 right now.

It sounds like a lot of people have benefited from running the 10w30 in the Coyote. Not sure about the oil squirters though, assuming I have them in my 2011.

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
PONY Member

And that is the big question for some of us. Do we have oil squirters or not.

I wish I knew if I do or do not.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

PONY Member

I believe the oil squirters were in the 2011-2012 cars, and the 2013-2014 cars do not have them. The raised engine bay temps from not having the oil squirters was supposedly the reason for the vents in the hoods of the 2013-2014 cars.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member

From what I have read across the net, there is some confusion.
Best I can tell, there was a change made in November/December of 2011 during the latter part of the production of 2012 models.

If true, mine is a February 2012 build, so there is a possibility I do not have oil squirters and have the phosphate coated pistons.

Until something goes horribly wrong, I guess I won't find out until then.

Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

PONY Member

What are oil squirters? Good or bad?
PONY Member

A quote from somewhere or another:

Quote:
I will give you my clumsy explanation, oil squirters are usually designed to squirt the bottom of the pistons to keep them cool among other things. Most engines just rely on the windage for this purpose

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
From what I have read across the net, there is some confusion.
Best I can tell, there was a change made in November/December of 2011 during the latter part of the production of 2012 models.

If true, mine is a February 2012 build, so there is a possibility I do not have oil squirters and have the phosphate coated pistons.

Until something goes horribly wrong, I guess I won't find out until then.

I would be surprised if something went horribly wrong... Do you suspect something? Think positive and enjoy!
PONY Member

If given a choice, I would prefer the phosphate coated pistons without the squirters.

I would like to know just because.

Maybe I could let TSA scan my car and tell me.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_n_Thunder View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to do the oil change on my '14 GT w/Track Pack. The owners manual calls for 8 quarts of 5W20 for regular GT, and 5W50 for Track Packs. The thing is, 5W50 oil is a lot harder to find, and much more expensive. Royal Purple doesn't even make it. Would I be alright just going with a 5W20? Or should I just suck it up and pay the extra $$ for 5W50?

Thoughts? Experiences?
I read through the whole thread, and even if the car is never tracked (meaning road course) I still would not use anything below 5W30 full synthetic. If you're enthusiastic enough to use the revs this engine is easily capable of, the hot viscosity just might be more valuable than an EPA MPG benefit that Ford might not have even gotten credit for anyway (because of that 5W50 Track Pack spec). No reason your local Ford dealer shouldn't have the Motorcraft 5W30 full syn in stock - I'm always able to find it for my 4.6 (which also specifies that 5W20 blend stuff that I'll never use in it again).

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
MACH I Member

My GT was built on February 14th, 2012, which was about two weeks before the start of 2013 production. I'd be curious to know about the state of my squirters as well.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
PONY Member

Does anyone ever wonder why for the 2015 Mustang GT with the performance pack, that Ford doesn't recommend anything other than 5W-20? Why no 5W-50 this year, especially since the 2015 5.0 has been slightly beefed up internally? I'm assuming that Ford marketed the PP like the Track Pack of the last generation.

With that being said, I would run what Ford recommends at least during the warranty period because from my experience with Ford and warranties, they will use any excuse to deny a warranty if they can.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page