Locked out of gear - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Locked out of gear

So went to the drag strip for the 4th time with this car. First time I shifting hard into 3rd I missed it once and it made me mad because I felt like it should not have missed but there was some deflection. Barton 2 post bracket went on and shifts firmed up quite a bit and next 2 times at the track were great! Ran my personal best of a 12.6 with just CAI and some drag radials on 20" wheels (I think thats decent for the huge wheel size) Anyway. Last night I go to race my buddies 475WHP cammed Camaro SS and hes running low 13's when I show up and figure this is in the bag! Well my first run I get locked out of second completely at high RPM. Once my tach droped below 4.5k It let me back in. I fall behind but once I finally catch second I pull up beside him and figure im still in this!! Well high RPM shift into 3rd. LOCKED OUT. It just wont go in into gear I could feel the gates and I was where I was supposed to be. In any event I lost that run. After making all the excuses to my friend about my gear box we ran again I ran a 12.89 he ran a 12.93. Mustang with 100 less WHP FTW! Because this thread was not long enough lets get to the solution even though I know this is talked about many times. But new products and all I want to go over all options. SS clutch line inexpensive but hear does not do all that much? Barton short throw shifter, easy to install but if going shifter MGW? MGW Race spec expensive but worth it? Also I don't know if im comfortable installing that myself as I would be the barton because I read you need to drop the tranny for the MGW race spec correct? Is the MGW going to be a shifting dream come true? Or blowfish bracket? This seems hit or miss from feedback and NVH is a huge complaint 90% of the time it seems. Is there anything else im missing? Would whiteline trans bushings help this at all? I'm just really frustrated that my car is locking me out of gear when I need it most. input and outcomes of what you did and what worked / did not work would be awesome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015
PONY Member

The MGW is fantastic. As far as NVH... there's maybe, and I mean MAYBE, a little more transmission noise at very high RPM (5k+) otherwise I don't think it's any louder at all. Vibration? I think it vibrates LESS. In neutral or in gear you can stare at the stock shifter and visually see it wobbling. The MGW doesn't.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015
Rookie

MGW shifters make a big difference. The key to them working so well is that its fixed to the unit itself so it moves with it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
The MGW is fantastic. As far as NVH... there's maybe, and I mean MAYBE, a little more transmission noise at very high RPM (5k+) otherwise I don't think it's any louder at all. Vibration? I think it vibrates LESS. In neutral or in gear you can stare at the stock shifter and visually see it wobbling. The MGW doesn't.
who cares if its loud or not, If it works then it can sound like Gilbert Gottfried for all i care. I want it so bad.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

"my first run I get locked out of second completely at high RPM. Once my tach dropped below 4.5k It let me back in."
There IS a TSB regarding this stay out condition..... it's centrifugal force at play here,FORD is aware of this and the issued a TSB for it, take it to your dealer for the free fix!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015
GT Member

You don't need to pull the tranny out but lower the tranny. Here is the install video if you have not seen it yet. https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

But here is another option that you can try for 20 dollars. I am thinking about trying this myself since I already went the Barton shifter direction. https://www.facebook.com/MGWshifters...75967979237941

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015
GT Member

Is it lock out or missing the shift gate because many call it the same. It is very easy to hit between shift gates if man handling the shifter. If you don't want to spend a lot of money then buy blow fish bracket.

I've had MGW gen1 then added blow fish bracket which made it very nice. But MGW race spec makes it better which I have now
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
who cares if its loud or not, If it works then it can sound like Gilbert Gottfried for all i care. I want it so bad.
Hey I'm in the same camp. I bought it under the impression I was going to hear a bunch of gear whine constantly - and I was fully ready to accept that for how good of a shifter everyone said it was. And it is definitely that good of a shifter. The lack of noise increase is just a bonus.

I got behind the wheel of a friend's mustang who still has the stock shifter unit and it feels holy **** terrible in comparison. I didn't realize just how flimsy and rubbery it felt until getting the MGW and then trying someone else's stock. I can't recommend the upgrade enough.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
It was lock out not a mis-shift. I know the difference I have had the car for about 11.2k miles so far and have mis-shifted 3rd about twice before I got the barton 2 post bracket and never again untill the other night doing redline shifts. I am very cool and calm shifting even while racing. I dont bang the gears. Slow is smooth smoth is fast. But I never mis-shifted 2nd in my life and I drive a lot. (Its straight down lol) I could feel the beginning of the gate where it needed to go but would not lock in I know my shifter well and this was a definate lock out of both 2nd and 3rd. No mis-shifts on this particular case. Anybody know the TSB so I can reference it to the dealer if I decide to go that route? Or do you think they will give me problems for having a barton 2post bracket installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page