Cold Air Intake? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew5.0 View Post
There are so many CAI's out there and people keep buying them. I wish someone would do a correct video showing a stock 5.0 mustang on the dyno with the results. Now put a tune on the stock Mustang with the stock air box. And show us the results. And finally put the aftermarket CAI on run it on the dyno and show us the difference. NOBODY WILL DO THIS!!!!! The manufactures will not show us that you are wasting your hard earned money on a CAI.
THANK YOU!!!

I have felt the same way reading all these magazine articles and dyno test (very biased to their advertisers anyway).

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew5.0 View Post
There are so many CAI's out there and people keep buying them. I wish someone would do a correct video showing a stock 5.0 mustang on the dyno with the results. Now put a tune on the stock Mustang with the stock air box. And show us the results. And finally put the aftermarket CAI on run it on the dyno and show us the difference. NOBODY WILL DO THIS!!!!! The manufactures will not show us that you are wasting your hard earned money on a CAI.
Couldn't have said it better!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you buy these mods expecting to get the full performance improvement that they talk about in the ads, and you actually check to see if you got it, in most cases you will be disappointed.

But still, depending on how you look at it, they are not a "waste of money" . . . . this whole hobby is just for fun; how many of us actually race our cars and are counting on that 0.1 second improvement, really? Buy this stuff because:
  • they are cool toys
  • its a fun little project to install them and then see the coolness of your work
  • they look neat under the hood
  • they give you something to talk and/or brag about (depending on how you roll)
  • it makes your car unique
  • you can tell yourself that your car is faster now, or gets better mileage, or whatever . . . no need to concern yourself with whether that is true of not
  • chicks dig guys who can do stuff with their hands
  • etc. etc. etc.
RoboStang likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

What JBert said!!

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Mud sez "buy one used for sound and looks and you'll be happy"

any butt dyno improvement is icing on the cake.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Mud sez "buy one used for sound and looks and you'll be happy"

any butt dyno improvement is icing on the cake.
i know it sounds crazy but i am only gonna by one for looks and sound. i am looking for the loudest one.

had a friend with an 02 with a C&L TB and a CAI and it sounded so good.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

for me what I posted is what I did.

I scored an Airaid used for my V6 and in a complicated deal (also bought tuner which I sold along with my OEM intake/used V8 sound tube which I never put on) it cost about $80.

Helpful hint: I don't know if it translates to the V8 but when working on it place a rag in the snorkle (lower part) to catch dropped tools/screws before they disappear.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
If you buy these mods expecting to get the full performance improvement that they talk about in the ads, and you actually check to see if you got it, in most cases you will be disappointed.

But still, depending on how you look at it, they are not a "waste of money" . . . . this whole hobby is just for fun; how many of us actually race our cars and are counting on that 0.1 second improvement, really? Buy this stuff because:
  • they are cool toys
  • its a fun little project to install them and then see the coolness of your work
  • they look neat under the hood
  • they give you something to talk and/or brag about (depending on how you roll)
  • it makes your car unique
  • you can tell yourself that your car is faster now, or gets better mileage, or whatever . . . no need to concern yourself with whether that is true of not
  • chicks dig guys who can do stuff with their hands
  • etc. etc. etc.
Lol this ^^^

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozer View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here, I apologize in advance if this thread is out of place.

But I wanted to get some input and thoughts on cold air intakes; are they worth it? are there any cons to having one (damage to engine, etc.)? any brand recommendations (knn, etc.)?

Thanks!
Here are my thoughts on Intakes.

Pros:
1. They look cool and they sound cool
2. This is something you will easily be able to install yourself.
3. They are worth owning if you are having a support cast of add on's that will require you to free up as much air restriction as possible.
4. They are worth it if you plan on running boost/FI.
5. Most cases result in a slight boost in MPG's

Cons:
1. If you are expecting a noticeable gain on its own then you will be disappointed.
2. Those CAI/Tuner combos you see, the majority of those gains are the tune. You can buy the tune on its own.
3. The power per dollar is not good at all on its own.

All in all if you want this for looks, sound and the ability to say you do you own work then sure. People have spent more money to say this lol. If you are going to have a supporting cast of parts that will make better use then I would also say yes. If none of these apply then I would say no and save your money for another mod. I hope this helps.
Rookie

First this thread really captures the true pros and cons accurately! It's all about looks and not performance, that should be your guide.

Second dyno'd my 11 two years ago, no tune with stock vs jlt vs airaid with a buddy of mine, bottom line no difference! Given this conundrum resurfaces over and over I WISH I would have kept the Dyno sheets to post!!!!

The mfg ads are bs and is a marketing combo/tuner gimmick, truth told!!!

Put your $$$ in a tune/tuner you'll be glad without question you did!!

I've run FRPP and Bama like them both for different reasons!

2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Race Red - 5% Tint - 6MT - Brembo's - Roush A/B - FRPP/BAMA Tune - KN Filter - Barton shifter - 3.73s - JLT catch - Raxiom Navigation - Redline struts - Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-04's
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11chicagostang View Post
First this thread really captures the true pros and cons accurately! It's all about looks and not performance, that should be your guide.

Second dyno'd my 11 two years ago, no tune with stock vs jlt vs airaid with a buddy of mine, bottom line no difference! Given this conundrum resurfaces over and over I WISH I would have kept the Dyno sheets to post!!!!

The mfg ads are bs and is a marketing combo/tuner gimmick, truth told!!!

Put your $$$ in a tune/tuner you'll be glad without question you did!!

I've run FRPP and Bama like them both for different reasons!
come on and spill the beans. tell me more about the tunes. i am thinking about getting the ford tune
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekofske View Post
CAI doesn't help much unless you have a larger exhaust to move all that air out, on the other hand cooler air entering the intake helps your car burn fuel more efficiently, my guess is any mustang owner will take 1-2 more mpg, that makes it worth it.
There is a lot of truth in this. The engine is actually an air pump. Volume in and volume out. CAI's and throttle body spacers are all just hype if you don't follow through with things on the back end. I'm a noob to the Mustang, but I know these things from previous vehicles and mods. In all truth, the exit flow should come first, then the inflow. Not sure why I was even looking at 73mm throttle bodies yesterday....but it's always fun to look right?
Cooler air in is good, it's the density actually and a higher flowing filter than stock is just building upon the OEM engineering. Don't get me wrong, but the high dollar kits are like fish bait and guarantees of 5-10hp is simply BS just for installing it. I won't knock K&N for their products. I still use their oil filters exclusively on one of my vehicles running all synthetic motor oil. Any air filter that you have to oil and clean occasionally is just not much better than a dry filter with more surface area like an Amsoil filter.
Marketing is marketing. Everyone is just jumping at the chance to take your hard earned money (take the government for example), and they will do almost anything to make you believe that you need their product to make everything better. That can turn into a tailspin for those who are not willing to wait for the best advice. The working man has to be careful with his credit cards. The government wishes you would use them to no end so you can end up depending on them soon.
Technology is also screwing us in ways, just when we think that high tech stuff is making things easier for us, it's actually stabbing us in the back and we let it.
Okay, before I get a full page ad going here........ Spend your money however you see fit. You start in the wrong place, it will just keep on building. That's what the market depends on.......and the market doesn't exactly make America these days. Remember....our government is printing money like it was going out of style. Money that's actually costing more to make than what it's worth.
My bad....rant over. I just saw an opportunity and ran with it. My apologies if I got off subject or offended anyone.

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'
PONY Member

Garage
Previous years and generations of Mustangs had non effecient air boxes, my 2006 V6 for example. So Ford addressed it in the later model S197s. Do the CAI manufacturers just say, "Dammit, we'll just close our doors."? No, they will still try to sell their products.

Remember data is like bikinis, if you pick the right ones, you can make anything look good.
JDavisArk likes this.

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gManTexas View Post
Previous years and generations of Mustangs had non effecient air boxes, my 2006 V6 for example. So Ford addressed it in the later model S197s. Do the CAI manufacturers just say, "Dammit, we'll just close our doors."? No, they will still try to sell their products.

Remember data is like bikinis, if you pick the right ones, you can make anything look good.
But then again looks aint everything right?
Some of the wildest ones don't look real good on the streets.......they look better in the sheets. LOL!
Not putting words in your mouth, but I take it that's what you were sayin'

I hope that I haven't stepped on anyone's toes here with what I've said even though it's true to the best of my knowledge. I got sucked up into the basic boost mods years ago with promises of RWHP gains. I know a lot more now than what I did then. Boy do I have stories to tell!

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'
Apprentice

For my 12 I got the Airaid intake tube. Pretty cheap, cleans up the intake assembly, doesn't really add much more noise but there is a slight difference. Put an Accufab TB, the intake tube, and axle backs on before I got a tune. Gave that info to Steeda and when I uploaded the tune today, night and day HUGE world of difference. It's all in the tune. Thanks Steeda

JDavisArk likes this.

2008 California Special: Boss 302 stroker, KB huffer, driveline, fuel, electronics, suspension, chassis, some outdoor pretty parts, Boss 338's i.e. nothing really left that's stock. Meth injection under construction. Tuned by Chris Tuten at The Muffler Shop.
2012 California Special (DD): Minor modding, just looking for sound, throttle response, and handling from this one, nothing fancy. Tuned by Steeda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page