Cold Air Intake? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Cold Air Intake?

Hey guys, I'm new here, I apologize in advance if this thread is out of place.

But I wanted to get some input and thoughts on cold air intakes; are they worth it? are there any cons to having one (damage to engine, etc.)? any brand recommendations (knn, etc.)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

From what I read, not really. I bought and installed air raid CAI before reading that they are not necessary. I kind of agree, I didn't feel much of a power gain, the little that I felt was probably from the tune. When I had my old 2006 V6, those you could feel a difference right away.

freewayflyer likes this.

2012 Race Red Ford Mustang 5.0

R.I.P.
Grey 2006 Ford Mustang SCS
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015

CAI doesn't help much unless you have a larger exhaust to move all that air out, on the other hand cooler air entering the intake helps your car burn fuel more efficiently, my guess is any mustang owner will take 1-2 more mpg, that makes it worth it.
JDavisArk likes this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015
GT Member

If you use the search feature im sure you will find your answer alolt faster and more in depth. THere are like 105 threads about CAI's

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekofske View Post
CAI doesn't help much unless you have a larger exhaust to move all that air out, on the other hand cooler air entering the intake helps your car burn fuel more efficiently, my guess is any mustang owner will take 1-2 more mpg, that makes it worth it.

I'll agree with the first part of your post that a "CAI doesn't help",

The OE intake is a better Cold Air Intake over any of the open element intakes that sit inside the engine compartment as it pulls in ambient air.

Cold air doesn't increase fuel mileage, actually it'll cause a drop in mileage since cold air is more dense than warm air you need more fuel to maintain the proper A/F ratio. That's why everybody likes likes those cold track days with their negative DA's .

>>> thoughts on cold air intakes; are they worth it? are there any cons to having one (damage to engine, etc.)? <<<

You'll need a tune for a CAI or you'll risk running lean and popping a piston (specially #8).

There are some 'no tune required' CAI's, but they're a waste of money unless you just want the look of an open element CAI.

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks so much for all the information. If I were to do a CAI I would be doing it mainly for the sound and looks. Does anyone know if the hood vents on a 2013 will be an issue for an open CAI? Or do they stay dry? I just don't want to hydrolock my car.

Thanks!

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015
Rookie

They will increase throttle response a little. And the sound the throttle makes. Each CAI has its own sound to it. I have an SR Performance which is basically a BBK without BBK logo on it. It can be installed without a tune, but it makes a whistling sound at low RPM throttle if you don't tune it. Just a warning.

Like I said, they all sound different, but they will increase throttle response and maybe upper RPM horsepower.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015
Rookie

Also- hood vents should not cause issues. I have a Boss 302S grille which just has netted holes/openings where the GT fogs used to sit (which allows more air into radiator and engine bar) and everything is fine. I have the Boss 302 fascia, so my fog harnesses now run down to smaller fog lamps at the bottom of the car (like a Boss). With this grille, though, the car runs cooler and during the winter, the ECU likes to throw a code if you get a good gust of cold air into the engine bay stating that the thermostat is not opening correctly.

This is correct, but it is also incorrect. Yes- the thermostat is not opening in the normal amount of time. But it is not due to a malfunction with the thermostat- it is due to the fact that the car runs cooler and takes longer to reach that temperature of which the thermostat opens. If you have a tuner like I do, it's not a big deal. You just clear the code and go on with your day. Just more food for thought. EFI has a lot of funny stuff that carb'd motors didn't have to deal with, so it takes some experimenting and sharing of information to know what each change will do.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015
GT Member

i have a '14 and when i had my airaid on, my car stalled out about 4 times due to water before i could get home and change it back to stock. I got out in the rain and dried everything with a towel i had every time. It was mainly the water drops on the MAF causing the issue.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Apprentice

I went back and forth on purchasing a CAI for my 2013 GT and after much reading on several forums I decided to stick with the stock air box. I did add an Airaid intake tube to replace the stock intake tube the Airaid tube is supposed to flow 400 CFM more air over stock? And it will not have the noise canceling chambers that the stock intake tube has this could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel about intake noise. As for water getting in the vents of a 2013 or 14 hood yes it can happen I tested mine with a significant dump of water and I would only get a few drops of water but for me that's just too much I don't want any water near my intake! I also purchased the small foam water blocker from JLT to cover a small area of the air vents over the intake it works ok but really needs to be silicon in to be real effective and I did not care for blocking off the vents. The cover that Airaid sells as a rain shield is a bit of a joke why bother just use the stock air box problem solved! I also take issue that if the seal was so good on the Airaid cold air intake you should not have a water issue. I am told the Steeda cold air intake seals to the hood better I'm not sure about the other brands. I did not feel overall the gains were worth it adding a CAI and frankly I would have always worried if I got caught in a big rain with my "13" and water saturating the intake filter no worries with the stock box.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll just stick to the stock airbox for now.

Apprentice

There are so many CAI's out there and people keep buying them. I wish someone would do a correct video showing a stock 5.0 mustang on the dyno with the results. Now put a tune on the stock Mustang with the stock air box. And show us the results. And finally put the aftermarket CAI on run it on the dyno and show us the difference. NOBODY WILL DO THIS!!!!! The manufactures will not show us that you are wasting your hard earned money on a CAI.
Bill'sFive.0 likes this.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT/CS 3:73 gears Roush Axle Backs Barton Shifter and Two Post Bracket JLT oil separator passenger and driver side Chrome shift knob with Barton chrome boot retainer
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Going for looks and sound? Steeda.

Has a nice whistle and looks the best under the hood. Function? Eh'... I couldn't tell a difference. Even after I put a larger inlet tube and wider throttle body on. All benefits came from the tune IMHO

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiZ_65 View Post
Going for looks and sound? Steeda.

Has a nice whistle and looks the best under the hood. Function? Eh'... I couldn't tell a difference. Even after I put a larger inlet tube and wider throttle body on. All benefits came from the tune IMHO
Thanks. That is just what I needed to know.
PONY Member

+1 on the Steeda, its a quality piece. I ran it before I went the procharger route. Not sure about the gains but it looks nice and has a good sound to it like ChiZ said. IF you're concerned about the hood vents letting water in JLT sells a piece of foam that will block off the part of the hood vent that is over the CAI.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page