Thoughts on matte black stripes??? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

$2400 is way high. I had a quote for that but to use the Mystic Chrome paint for the stripes and that shtuff is expensive. I was going to say try the Plasti Dip too. there is a trick to doing the straight line but once you figure it out, it looks slick. Plus you can just peel off. I did the Boss like look on my hood. It took longer to tape and prep than it did to paint. Plus the Plasti Dip is cheap!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I did this myself and it cost less than $40.

Vinyl hood installed

In my opinion vinyl is much better option than painting. It is cheaper and it can be removed.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
$2400 is the cost of a nice set of KW V3 adjustable coilovers that will make your ride and handling very much better. The vinyl looks great. Keep it. Lasts practically forever. Buy a $200 car cover to keep it nice while parked outside, and get some KWs or other coilovers with the excess.
So ive heard that putting a car cover on a somewhat dusty car can scratch the paint. Is that true at all or is it really not that big of a deal?

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foozer View Post
So ive heard that putting a car cover on a somewhat dusty car can scratch the paint. Is that true at all or is it really not that big of a deal?
Putting a car cover on a clean car can scratch the paint, especially if it is outside where the wind can cause it to rub.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
PONY Member
S197 Member

Stick with the vinyl. I've had my matte black stripes on for two years now, and it's holding up extremely well. I wax over them as I go, and have had no ill effects. The only downside to the wax is you'll have to go back over all the inner and outer edges with a detail brush to get the leftover dried wax out. Kinda of a pita, but hey. I don't think (personal opinion) that painted on stripes would have the same look and texture as the vinyl. Replacing and/or removing vinyl is cheap and easy. Changing your mind on painted on stripes... not so much!

Also, don't use microfiber cloths on them when they are hot, such as out in the sun at a car show. When the stripes get super hot, they get very soft. Even gentle rubbing when hot can leave scratches in them. Ask me how I know!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Rookie

Garage
I like the matte black on black. Much more than white on black. I don't know much about paint so I wonder if they just spray the matte over the clearcoat? They don't clearcoat the matte afterwards, right? I wonder how it would hold up. My last Mustang was Vista Blue coupe with a matte spoiler and I really liked that.

2009 GT Vista Blue convertible auto
Apprentice

matte black paint is VERY susceptible to water stains/water marks.

RWSRWS

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
PONY Member

I've had vinyl matte black stripes on for a couple of years. With normal use, you are going to get wear and tear. You have to be very careful about removing any stains or dried bug or bird poop. If you don't soak them enough, you'll rub too hard and leave rub mark. A rub mark leaves a slight shine which it noticeable under certain light and angels. I use a detail-er on them with good results.

The rear bumper below the trunk is also susceptible to scratches. I ended up pulling 'em off, taping it, and spraying 'em on with a flat black rattle can. Also I've used a car cover since I've had them and even under windy conditions, they won't scratch.

Here are the sprayed stripes. The match is very close, and when they scratch, I can just lightly sand them and spray again.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
Apprentice

Looks sweet, but I'd agree with not painting them. Unless you have money to burn (and even then, 2400 can net you a whole load of other nice upgrades) vinyl should be just as good provided you take care of them. Heck, at that price you could just re-do the vinyls if they get worn for much cheaper haha

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabhy View Post
looks sweet, but i'd agree with not painting them. Unless you have money to burn (and even then, 2400 can net you a whole load of other nice upgrades) vinyl should be just as good provided you take care of them. Heck, at that price you could just re-do the vinyls if they get worn for much cheaper haha
=========================================

+1

rwsrws

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
They look nice as is. If they get worn and messy down the road, just replace them. Much cheaper than a paint job.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Apprentice

I was just quoted $700 for a matte black double stripe on my 2012 GT. Does that sound too high? He said he was using the highest quality vinyl.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
For the price of paint you can purchase matte black stripes and have them reapplied every few years for the next 8-10 years...or more, depending on vinyl condition.

If you intend to keep the car forever...paint them and be done. If not, keep the vinyl and have them reapplied when they start looking bad to you.
Apprentice

Damn, got another quote today for two 10" stripes bumper to bumper. $850!!

This was from a Signarama - Signarama Deptford | South Jersey's Sign Store
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I like the subtlety of the black on black stripes. My dad has a 14 GT500 with the black stripes and they are a pain to take care of. Really need to get them painted on.

2003 SVT Cobra Torch Red 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page