Thoughts on matte black stripes??? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thoughts on matte black stripes???

Hey guys, I just put on some vinyl matte black stripes on my 5.0, thoughts?

Also, I am thinking about getting them painted on now (the vinyl has been kind of a test run). My paint shop quoted me for $2400 for the ten inch stripes with a 1/8 inch pin strip next to each of the 10inch ones. Does this sound about right? And has anyone had both vinyl and painted, which did you prefer?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1384.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	441170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1387.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	441178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1386.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	441186  
freewayflyer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I love the look! That price for painted stripes seems a bit high to me but maybe I'm just cheap! I think I paid in the neighborhood of $800 when I had them painted on my 69 Mach1 but that was about 5 years ago.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
I love the look! That price for painted stripes seems a bit high to me but maybe I'm just cheap! I think I paid in the neighborhood of $800 when I had them painted on my 69 Mach1 but that was about 5 years ago.
Thanks! I think it kind of brings the black alive. Yeah he originally told me it would be between $1500 - $1800 when I talked to him in person, but then on the phone he was like "yeah its gonna be $2400". Maybe I'll start looking at some different shops and get a second opinion. I do trust that these guys would do a great job though.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm still unsure about mine. Black on black. I guess that I'm slowly coming around to the looks of them, but I've thought about peeling them off as well. For now, less surface area for me to wax.
If it were me, I'd always rather have the option of taking them off. Painted on sounds so permanent and the cost alone would turn me off on the ordeal. That's just me. I say do what you feel best. For $2400 I'd be happy with the vinyl stripes and look into upgrading something else. Again....that's just me. Just sayin'

crjackson2134 likes this.

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
I'm still unsure about mine. Black on black. I guess that I'm slowly coming around to the looks of them, but I've thought about peeling them off as well. For now, less surface area for me to wax.
If it were me, I'd always rather have the option of taking them off. Painted on sounds so permanent and the cost alone would turn me off on the ordeal. That's just me. I say do what you feel best. For $2400 I'd be happy with the vinyl stripes and look into upgrading something else. Again....that's just me. Just sayin'

Yours looks awesome too. Yeah the $2400 is what is really got me hung up. I may just leave these on and then when they start to crack or peel then look into doing the paint.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozer View Post
Hey guys, I just put on some vinyl matte black stripes on my 5.0, thoughts?

Also, I am thinking about getting them painted on now (the vinyl has been kind of a test run). My paint shop quoted me for $2400 for the ten inch stripes with a 1/8 inch pin strip next to each of the 10inch ones. Does this sound about right? And has anyone had both vinyl and painted, which did you prefer?
I like it bro. I'm getting ready to put some matte black rocker stripes on mine.

2008 Triple black Convertible GT Premium, Auto
Charcoal premium wheels, Appearance and comfort packages
Roush CAI, Bama Tune, FRPP axle backs.
Steeda strut brace, Honey comb rear deck lid, Sequential tail lights, Tail light frames, MMD side scoops, MMD styling bar.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thank you for saying so. I got one other like today on the stripes (I bought it this way), so that's why I'm liking them more and more. If mine crack or peel, I'll just take them off and leave it that way..

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
The only worry I have is that I have heard that after about a year of having the stripes on you might notice different color tones in the paint due to sun fade :/ So I figure if Im gonna keep them on for a while I may as well paint them at some point.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I dunno about black actually. I'd figure the effects of stripes would take more of a toll/discoloration on lighter color paints where dissimilarity or fade would be more obvious. I would think that one full (3-4 months depending) summer might do that versus a whole year anyway. I've managed to debadge a couple of vehicles after 3-4 years weathering with no noticeable shadows or light spots. You've just got to break it down to the basic paint again and start over with the right products, diligence, and care.

PONY Member

Garage
I really like how black matte stripes look, I have them on my car, but they are a pain to take care of properly. Some people wax over them but you're really not supposed to. So waxing the painted parts around them is also a pain.

$2400 is way too much to paint stripes.

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gManTexas View Post
I really like how black matte stripes look, I have them on my car, but they are a pain to take care of properly. Some people wax over them but you're really not supposed to. So waxing the painted parts around them is also a pain.

$2400 is way too much to paint stripes.
Yeah, thats kinda why I want to paint them :/
How long have you had yours and how are they holding up?

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foozer View Post
Yeah, thats kinda why I want to paint them :/
How long have you had yours and how are they holding up?
I'm thinking they have been on for several years, they were already on when I bought the car used. The stripes were put on professionally, both on the hood and rocker panels.

The car was a garage queen and the guy really took car of her.

I did a lot of research into taking care of the matte stripes and I use Aerospace 303 on them, which also works well on the black plastic fascias in the front and back of the car.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Aerospace-Protectant-Trigger/dp/B00KN0UOEE

Anyway, the stripes still look great, a few swirls and slightly faded, but that only shows up when the car is needing to be detailed. This is in central Texas where we get tons of hot sunny weather. The major problem I have is that they literally add an extra hour to detailing the car between treating them and avoiding them with wax on the painted parts.

Painting on your stripes is the way to go, however, I'm not sure how "matte" you can get them. Maybe plastidip or bed liner material, LOL!

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gManTexas View Post
I'm thinking they have been on for several years, they were already on when I bought the car used. The stripes were put on professionally, both on the hood and rocker panels.

The car was a garage queen and the guy really took car of her.

I did a lot of research into taking care of the matte stripes and I use Aerospace 303 on them, which also works well on the black plastic fascias in the front and back of the car.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-.../dp/B00KN0UOEE

Anyway, the stripes still look great, a few swirls and slightly faded, but that only shows up when the car is needing to be detailed. This is in central Texas where we get tons of hot sunny weather. The major problem I have is that they literally add an extra hour to detailing the car between treating them and avoiding them with wax on the painted parts.

Painting on your stripes is the way to go, however, I'm not sure how "matte" you can get them. Maybe plastidip or bed liner material, LOL!
Yeah I bet its a pain, I hear that turtle wax ice is a really good way to wax a car with vinyl because it doesnt leave any white. If i got them painted they would be matte black, but then with a full layer of clear coat, so yeah it would definitely have more of a gloss look.

PONY Member

$2400 is the cost of a nice set of KW V3 adjustable coilovers that will make your ride and handling very much better. The vinyl looks great. Keep it. Lasts practically forever. Buy a $200 car cover to keep it nice while parked outside, and get some KWs or other coilovers with the excess.
PONY Member

I ordered a 2014 GT black with the black satin stripes. One of the sharpest color combos I've ever had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page