Adjusting adjustable rear control relocation brackets. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By csamsh
  • 1 Post By csamsh

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Adjusting adjustable rear control relocation brackets.

Good afternoon gents and Happy Fathers day to all that applies.

I recently installed BMR's excellent adjustable lower control arm relocation brackets to correct the rear suspension geometry. Im lowered on Ford Racing K springs.

With the rear control arms in the center hole of the relocation bracket the control arms are pointing slightly down. With the stock mount the control arms were pointing up and i got alot of wheel spin when I floored it.

Wheel spin has been reduced BUT the handling of the car is now "looser" ie it wants to over steer now. The car feels like I installed a stiffer rear sway bar.

I cant get the control arms perfectly level with the factory control arms. With the factory control arms I cant use the top hole because they hit the mount.

Does this make sense? will the control arms pointing slightly down really affect my handling or is something else going on?

Thanks for the help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
Apprentice

I'm still learning about this stuff myself, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the arms should be slightly angled down toward the rear of the car because under hard acceleration the rear end squats which levels out the arms, increasing traction and reducing wheel hop.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
Apprentice

I recently installed the BMR LCAs and relocation brackets as well. At the time I was stock height but last weekend I installed a set of lowering springs. At stock height I was using the middle holes on the brackets. I haven't re-adjusted the LCAs yet, but as far I know, the LCAs should be close to level, or point slightly downward in the rear. I haven't noticed any issues. Do you also have an adjustable panhard bar? I have heard that if the axle is a little off center one way or the other, it'll feel loose and cause some problems.

1995 Mustang GT, White: BBK CAI, Magnaflow O/R X, Magnaflow Magnapack catback, Hurst short throw & Black FR500s.

2013 Mustang GT Premium, Sterling Gray: JLT oil separator, JLT CAI, Pypes O/R X, Roush axle back, Lund Tune, Eibach sport lines, BMR LCAs with relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Steeda wing, Boss 302 rear diffuser, Stillen splitter, Billet upper grille, Roush high flow lower grille delete, sitting on 17x7 & 18x10.5 Dark Stars

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
GT Member

mine is slightly down too. I still dont see why you cant use the top hole though. Im not understanding what its hitting.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
mine is slightly down too. I still dont see why you cant use the top hole though. Im not understanding what its hitting.
Here is a post from 2013 that has a photo of the stock LCA and the part that prevents it from being used in the top hole. It looks like a slight modification will allow use in this hole.

Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Lower control arm relocation bracket

I run Steeda LCAs and BMR brackets. I'm using the second hole and my LCAs are angled slightly lower in the rear.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Here is a post from 2013 that has a photo of the stock LCA and the part that prevents it from being used in the top hole. It looks like a slight modification will allow use in this hole.

Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Lower control arm relocation bracket

I run Steeda LCAs and BMR brackets. I'm using the second hole and my LCAs are angled slightly lower in the rear.
ahh i see, WEll good news is that BMR has LCA's for $80 that will fix that issue.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

Yes that makes sense. You're inducing some roll steer with the altered geometry.

Stock Car Roll Steer - The Effects of Rear Axle Movement - Stock Car Racing Magazine
BMR Tech likes this.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you gents for all of your inputs, and yep Ive got an adjustable panhard bar, 0 thrust.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Would stiffening or softening the rear shocks eliminate some of the roll steer? I guess Ill try out!
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
Would stiffening or softening the rear shocks eliminate some of the roll steer? I guess Ill try out!
Yes but it doesn't counteract it- it just adjusts handling bias through a different mechanism. Generally, more rear rebound=more oversteer on corner entry.

GREAT shock tuning writeup-

http://www.theoryinpracticeengineeri...%20article.pdf
BMR Tech likes this.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page