Which Long Tube Headers with FM Outlaw Axel Backs - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
yes I agree and understand. That's why I bought BBK. Now I'm playing around with maybe a different mid pipe and over axle pipes

I want to put a sound clip of my set up but I'm having a hard time getting the video to download

2012 Mustang GT Premium: Shaker 1000 audio, Lava Red Metallic, BBK long tube headers, BBK High Flow catted x-pipe, GT500 mufflers, MGW race spec shifter, JLT CAI with 91 octane BAMA tune, J&M rear LCA's, Roush front grilles, GT500 rear spoiler, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Does a quieter muffler mean less flow?

2012 Mustang GT Premium: Shaker 1000 audio, Lava Red Metallic, BBK long tube headers, BBK High Flow catted x-pipe, GT500 mufflers, MGW race spec shifter, JLT CAI with 91 octane BAMA tune, J&M rear LCA's, Roush front grilles, GT500 rear spoiler, more to come
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Picked my GT up from storage and first thing I noticed is the GT500 mufflers sound better than they did last year.
I'm still not 100% satisfied on the sound. I'm at 90%. I have BBK long tubes, BBK high flow Catted X pipe, stock over axles with resonators and the finally GT500 mufflers. I am looking for a little more volume and a throatier sound.
I am looking for advice on the next step to achieve my two goals.
OPTION 1: replace the over axles with LTH over axle pipe (which will eliminate the stock resonators and enlarge pipe size)
OPTION 2: replace my Catted BBK X pipe with a Catted or O/R h pipe

Also looking for suggestion on what brand will fit nice with my BBK long tunes for option 2

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava12 View Post
I'm still not 100% satisfied on the sound. I'm at 90%. I have BBK long tubes, BBK high flow Catted X pipe, stock over axles with resonators and the finally GT500 mufflers.
This is exactly what I have. I love it and wouldn't change a thing on it. I get lot of compliments too.

I started with an offroad pipe and made it 3 months. I didn't like it.
I still have the pipe. It's just been leaning against a wall in the shop for the last three years. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by Blazin72; 03-20-2016 at 02:34 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Quote:
I'm still not 100% satisfied on the sound. I'm at 90%. I have BBK long tubes, BBK high flow Catted X pipe, stock over axles with resonators and the finally GT500 mufflers.
This is exactly what I have. I love it and wouldn't change a thing on it. I get lot of compliments too.

I started with an offroad pipe and made it 3 months. I didn't like it.
I still have the pipe. It's just been leaning against a wall in the shop for the last three years. PM me if you're interested.
You have the same setup is what I have now? How long have you had the GT500 mufflers? Did they get deeper over time?
Apprentice

I have kooks 1 7/8" LTH, x-pipe with the race cats, and 2 3/4" over the axle pipes waiting to be installed. I have FM outlaw axle backs on there now. Can't wait. Going to go with a 93 Lund tune at the same time the headers are installed.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
You have the same setup is what I have now? How long have you had the GT500 mufflers? Did they get deeper over time?
I've had them since summer 2013. I installed the headers in December of that year then changed to the catted mid pipe in March.

The only time I noticed a change in muffler tone was when I installed the headers or changed the mid pipe. I actually did not like the GT500s behind the factory exhaust. I thought they sounded too blatty. The off-road pipe just made it too loud. The catted pipe took the edge off but they still get plenty loud when I open it up.
PONY Member

AMR long tubes with high flow catted X pipe great sound but loud with any custom muffler - GT500 is the least aggressive
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
AMR long tubes with high flow catted X pipe great sound but loud with any custom muffler - GT500 is the least aggressive
You have the same setup as I do, (different brand headers But probably don't sound much different). I like the sound a lot. I'm just looking for a little more bite at WOT and a little more gurgle when downshifting. I had the Flowmaster outlaws on there with this setup before I put the GT500's on and it was ridiculously loud. Everyone could hear me coming down the street. Which didn't allow me to tear it up much without attracting attention.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
JG-1, post a sound clip when you get everything installed. I know what that setup sounded like on my car and I am interested in what the over axle will contribute with the larger pipe and eliminating the resonators.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
The outlaws sound great on a stock exhaust
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG-1 View Post
I have kooks 1 7/8" LTH, x-pipe with the race cats, and 2 3/4" over the axle pipes waiting to be installed. I have FM outlaw axle backs on there now. Can't wait. Going to go with a 93 Lund tune at the same time the headers are installed.
Where did you decide to buy your over axle pipes? Did you go with LTH, Lethal Performance or another brand?

Apprentice

Quote:
Where did you decide to buy your over axle pipes? Did you go with LTH, Lethal Performance or another brand?
I bought the Lethal Performance over the axle pipes. Waiting on their delivery and then everything will be installed. Lethal is running a 10% off sale right now so I ordered them yesterday. The LTH and x-pipe are Kooks. Got a killer deal on them from Maryland Speed.
Apprentice

Quote:
JG-1, post a sound clip when you get everything installed. I know what that setup sounded like on my car and I am interested in what the over axle will contribute with the larger pipe and eliminating the resonators.
Will do!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
JG-1, thanks for the heads up on the sale. I think I'm going to buy a set today? The difference between yours and mine will be the mufflers. Very interested in how it will sound. I have the Outlaws in the garage if mine doesn't end up loud enough.
Some say without resonators it gets raspy and others say deeper. We will soon find out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page