Which Long Tube Headers with FM Outlaw Axel Backs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Which Long Tube Headers with FM Outlaw Axel Backs

My next MOD is going to be installing long tube headers on my 2012 GT. I currently have Flow Master Outlaw axel backs. I am not quite sure what all I should replace along with the headers and also what brand to go with. It sounds like Kooks is the way to go for the easiest install/fitment and quality of material. Oh, and of course sound. Any recommendations would help. I am hoping to buy this week and install as soon as all the parts come in.

2012 Mustang GT Premium: Shaker 1000 audio, Lava Red Metallic, BBK long tube headers, BBK High Flow catted x-pipe, GT500 mufflers, MGW race spec shifter, JLT CAI with 91 octane BAMA tune, J&M rear LCA's, Roush front grilles, GT500 rear spoiler, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Regardless if which header you choose, I strongly recommend a catted mid pipe. Otherwise the car will be insanely loud with those mufflers. I tried an off road pipe with my headers for a few months with a set of GT500 mufflers and it was way too loud. It's still loud with a catted mid pipe but it's tolerable and sounds a lot better.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015
Redkrash12

def go catted

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015
GT Member

I have the kooks 1 3/4" primaries and catted H pipe with GT500 style axle backs and the car sounded pretty good and not too loud. But after putting the Borla overaxle pipes in which eliminated the resonators the car got pretty loud. Like almost Nascar loud. So loud I have not installed my kooks catless pipe as I imagine it would be insanely loud.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015
Apprentice

Garage
I'd say High Flow Cats, if you go O/R you will get exponentially louder and probably get additional engine noise besides that sexy rumble.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I am definitely going catted on the mid pipe. I was thinking of maybe going ceramic coated BBK headers with a BBK catted mid pipe. Also putting 22" resonators on to help with the cackle. Should I be trying to go with 1 7/8" or 1 3/4". I was thinking go as big as I can. I just don't know if larger will be harder to install or cause any fitment issues.

2012 Mustang GT Premium: Shaker 1000 audio, Lava Red Metallic, BBK long tube headers, BBK High Flow catted x-pipe, GT500 mufflers, MGW race spec shifter, JLT CAI with 91 octane BAMA tune, J&M rear LCA's, Roush front grilles, GT500 rear spoiler, more to come
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I meant 12" resonators

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
I have1 3/4" BBK stainless headers with catted mid pipe and it has more power than I can put to use when I track it. Unless you're going all out I don' t think you need 1 7/8". go
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015
GT Member

If you plan on FI in the future then you would want to consider 1 7/8" primaries. I found an article online that had a formula that I used to determine what primary size would work best for me. I can't find that online right now and my research info is at home. I chose 1 3/4" primaries. Kind of wish I went 1 7/8" now because I eventually want to supercharge my car.

I have not watched this link but it may help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7PfOXP2Vf0

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Great video. Very scientific. Conclusion= shorty headers give you more torque above 5100 rpm and long tubes give more torque below 5100 rpm.

1 5/8" headers have peak torque at 4175 rpm
1 3/4" headers have peak torque at 4500 rpm (this one may be slightly off)
1 7/8 headers have peak torque at 5100 rpm

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
A pro in my area in Michigan, says his preferred system to get rid of cackle , have a nice deep hollow sound and not be annoyingly loud is as follows. BBK or Kooks headers, hi flo cats, BBK or Kooks x pipe with 12" or 18" resonators, custom welded Flow Master delta 50's over axle, finished with 4" chrome tips (cosmetic of course).

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Does anybody know of a cat back setup to go with the BBK LT's that will create that low deep consistent sound without the cackle and is not too loud. I want to put the whole exhaust on myself and then take it in for a tune.

Has anyone had any luck with a mail order tune instead of a custom dyne tune after installing headers?

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
So I bought 1 7/8" BBK ceramic long tube headers, the BBK high flow catted x pipe, flowmaster hushpower mufflers and a Bama 93 octane tune.

I started the install. I currently have everything taken off. Tomorrow I will start putting on the new parts.

So when jacking the engine, is there anything besides the engine mount nuts that need to be removed? I noticed the brave that holds the transmission in place is bolted to the transmission. So when I jack it up is it going to bend? Or bend anything for that matter? Can I really just Jack it up 5" without hurting anything?

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
My install is complete. I installed the 1 7/8" BBK headers, BBK catted x pipe, left the stock 2.5" cat back on and ended up deciding on FR GT500 mufflers instead of the FM Hushpowers. Oh and a Bama 93 Octane race tune.

I had an issue with the front driver side O2 sensor (bank 2 sensor 1). I kept getting an error code. When I did the install, the O2 extension harness wouldn't snap into the stock harness properly (this is the one that is hard to get at right over the side of the tranny. I ended up pulling the the wire off of it loom that connected to the frame above the transmission and it gave me enough slack to eliminate both harnesses and connect directly to the headers.

No check engine light, perfect tone I was looking for with no rasp or drone (none). But the GT500's quieted it down a lot. I am think of removing the stock cat back that has the resonators and possible going to an off road H pipe.

Here is a sound clip

Apprentice

Some people have the misconception that different headers sound better than the factory ones. If you ran open headers either factory, shorty, or longtube they would all sound the same. Its the midpipe (x or h) and mufflers that change the resonance, pitch, and overall sound. Spending 1500-2000 grand (kooks, anerican racing etc.) for longtube setup to gain maybe 5-10 hp over N/A catless midpipe is a horrible value proposition.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page