Squeak in rear passenger suspension - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Squeak in rear passenger suspension

Hi, so I have a chirp/clunk in my rear passenger side suspension that has been there since right after I bought the car new. I took it to ford and they couldn't hear anything so I dealt with it and here we are 12,000 miles later and I decided to do new shocks/struts and lowering springs. I went with the eibach shocks/struts and the SR performance lowering springs which is a mild drop. After lowering the chirp/clunk has become more pronounced and honestly sounds like the rear end is about to fall off. Does anybody know what I could look for? I know when you lower the car it becomes a stiffer ride so I believe it made that problem worse. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015
PONY Member

Is the squeak on the right or the left?
Does it squeak with an up and down motion and no bumps, or just certain sharp bumps?
Can you replicate the squeak by pushing down in the trunk area and bouncing the body?
Have you removed the spare tire and jack and is the squeak still there?
Do you have a Shaker box in the trunk?

Squeaks are usually a process of elimination.

I had separate squeaks in my rear passenger side area.

The first squeak was an up and down motion I could replicate by pushing down in the trunk area with the car stationary in my garage. I used silicone spray on everything I could find under the car. I lubed all the shock bushings, every piece of rubber or urethane bushing I could find, as well as the rubber mounts for the exhaust. The problem was solved. The up down suspension travel sounding squeak was gone.
I never did figure out exactly what made the noise, by lubing everything it went away.

But there was a second/third squeak which took me a year to find. I was sure it was the spare tire, but it wasn't. That squeak only happened on certain bumps.
I lubed every hinge I could find, on the trunk lid, the folding rear seat hinges, everything.

It turned out to eventually be the Shaker 500 box. I dismounted it, silicone sprayed the mounting bracket bolts and reinstalled. Part of the problem was solved in that the squeak changed pitched. Then I lubed the trunk seal and tightened the red plastic nuts that hold the speakers to the rear deck lid.

Finally, all was solved.

I think I burned through a can and a half of silicone lube spray before everything was done and had spent hours tracking everything down. And it took a year of persistence to get things right.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

It squeaks with up and down motion but not when pushing on the trunk. When I hit sharp bumps it's a really loud squeak. It's the passenger rear. I'll try removing the spare tire and everything in the trunk and see if that fixes it. Thanks for all the info man, I appreciate it. I figured ford won't do anything because of my aftermarket suspension

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015
PONY Member

If you have the boom box in the trunk on the passenger side, check that.

Sound can travel oddly and sometimes the squeaks and rattles are not from where they seem initially.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
Rookie

Mine does the same thing traveling down a bumpy road. Seems to be coming from the passenger rear. I'd like to know if there is a TSB on this and/or if anyone has figured out what the problem is and how to fix it. I really don't like taking my car to the dealer unless I do some homework and share the knowledge with them.

My car is a 2014 GT with the Track Pack, ~4,500 miles

2014 gray
track pack
stock

Last edited by John1; 08-03-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: updated post with car info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page