Tuning issues/bad tuner - ECU problems? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Tuning issues/bad tuner - ECU problems?

I installed a JLT CAI and got a custom tune at a shop in Houston that shall remain nameless for now.

They were able to only increase power by 20whp from baseline. Not much but if it runs/feels good I would pay and be on my way. However, the AFRs are constantly messed up and they have tried to fix the tune twice already. AFRs drop to a very rich 11.2-11.6 and stay there till redline when I go WOT at 3k RPMs or lower. If I go WOT above 3500 RPMs (lets say 50 roll, 3rd gear) the AFRs don't drop at all and stay lean at 13.8-14.5 to redline.

I'd hate to say the tuner is bad because it doesn't really seem that difficult to hit target AFRs on a pretty much stock car. After I contacted them again they said "I don't know what else you want us to do. I have tried everything and can't get the results you are looking for." Not the best response...

Any other reasons for the out-of-wack AFRs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Was the MAF properly calibrated for the new intake?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Man I sure hope the tuner would account for something silly like that. They recommended the JLT based on their experience with it so they should know about things like that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
Apprentice

Are you getting A/F from your dash or actual logs?

Remember its August which is the hottest month of the year. You do not want an "on the edge" a/f with high intake temps. What's your timing at?

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
Apprentice

Plus your in the heart of Hell living in Houston. Inferno down there...

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Yeah the JLT significantly increased my intake temps so they get up to 150-160 when stopped. I'm considering taking it off. I'm gathering data from the track apps gauges.

I had a cyl#2 misfire code come on for a day then go away so I was thinking it could potentially be an injector issue since fueling seems to be off. It's like the injectors can't keep up at high RPMs. That seems unlikely though because the engine was replaced about 3000 miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page