Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Blazin72
  • 1 Post By graz
  • 1 Post By JDavisArk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Stang is going to sit for 2 weeks

So I'm a DD and don't have too much know on things to do when storing/letting it sit for a while. I'm headed overseas for 2 weeks and based off the little battery drain incident I had a couple weeks ago, I'm a little nervous leaving it sit for 2 weeks.

So are there any things I should do before I leave? I was thinking disconnect the neg battery terminal?

-Black 2012 5.0 Mustang (manual); Cobra Jet intake with twin 67mm throttle body; MGW Race Spec shifter; 545g Flossy Shift Knob; MAC axle-back exhaust; SVE black GT4 wheels, 18x9 front, 18x10 rear SOLD
-Ingot Silver 2011 V6 Mustang (auto); 10 psi Procharger supercharged, full exhaust- BBK headers & catted x-pipe/Borla mufflers, 1-piece aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 gears 409rwhp/313rwtq SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
Apprentice

Ok mine is a 2011 non DD low miles but original battery and can sit for up to 6 weeks with no issues, I wouldn't blink an eye to 2 weeks sitting. I don't disconnect anything, I hope this is of some comfort to you.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you are concerned, get a Battery Tender.

http://www.batterytender.com

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Two weeks? Just park it
freewayflyer likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thumbs up

"Two weeks? Just park it"

add my two cents, LOCK IT!

my 2014 gt olny has 4000 miles on it,got it 4/2014 new. sits a bunch of weeks in a row,no issues. [in a garage and covered]
you will have no issues.
freewayflyer likes this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
"Two weeks? Just park it"

add my two cents, LOCK IT!

my 2014 gt olny has 4000 miles on it,got it 4/2014 new. sits a bunch of weeks in a row,no issues. [in a garage and covered]
you will have no issues.
Just remember this. Assuming that his 2012 was built in 2011, his battery is 4 years old or possibly more. Not the same as having a 1 or 2 year old battery.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
He should be fine. If it does go dead because of an old battery they it'll have to be replaced regardless.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Two weeks? You need somebody to wash it or drive it while you're away? Or both?
anjunabeats91 likes this.

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015
PONY Member

When I lived in the Northeast, mine would sit for over a month at a time in the winters in an unheated garage. Now that I live in Southern California, it still sits for weeks because I like to ride my scooter to work. Still fires up just fine every time.

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the input, sounds like I should be ok. For those who didn't see my last thread, the reason why I'm little leery about this is because my seemingly healthy battery took a sh** on me sitting for less than a week while I was waiting for my emailed tunes to come after installing a CJ intake. I guess now I know that can happen with batteries, but still is a little odd that out of no where it just died with no preceding signs of fatigue. Car had mid 30K on it at the time.

-Black 2012 5.0 Mustang (manual); Cobra Jet intake with twin 67mm throttle body; MGW Race Spec shifter; 545g Flossy Shift Knob; MAC axle-back exhaust; SVE black GT4 wheels, 18x9 front, 18x10 rear SOLD
-Ingot Silver 2011 V6 Mustang (auto); 10 psi Procharger supercharged, full exhaust- BBK headers & catted x-pipe/Borla mufflers, 1-piece aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 gears 409rwhp/313rwtq SOLD
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Did you find the cause of the battery dying after sitting for a week and correct it? Not trying to be a wise guy, but if not, why do you think it will be OK after sitting for two weeks?

GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
Just get a battery tender. Problem solved.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post
Just get a battery tender. Problem solved.
Yup. Post #3.

BOSS Member

Garage
A battery tender is an option but it doesn't solve a problem. If the battery is discharging after a week or two then the battery needs to be replaced or there is a parasitic drain somewhere that needs to be corrected. I realize there are "always on" and devices in standby when the car is shut off but they shouldn't drain the battery in that short period of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page