JMS PedalMAX Drive By Wire Throttle Enhancement Device? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

JBert, you speaking from experience? I really notice a difference and I can unplug it in 5 minutes without a trace. I'm sure after the thrill is gone it won't be such a big deal but for now it's bad ass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar190 View Post
JBert, you speaking from experience? . . . . .
Not exactly, haven't actually measured those numbers, and for sure they are not exact, just trying to describe how it works, as I understand it.

I do know that is pretty much how it works with Bama tune; from experience and from talking with Bama about it.

It does give the impression of more performance for sure, but I think what we are really feeling is the throttle body moving more for smaller inputs from the pedal.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
...I think what we are really feeling is the throttle body moving more for smaller inputs from the pedal.
+1

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
Read through all 52 pages of the thread at that link. Sounds like there are actually two issues here, delay before the throttle begins to open (due to possible pedal position sensor brush variations), and the speed at which the throttle body opens. The OP in the link's mod, and the alternates suggested, take care of the initial delay, while the JMS and Sprint Booster devices remedy the TB opening speed issue by tricking it by increasing the voltage signal it receives.

It seems like the mechanical mod from the link paired with one of the signal boosting devices would be a great combo.

Has anybody tried something like this with their '11 or newer car's pedal sensor?

It kind of sounded like someone had at the end of the thread in the link, but it wasn't really clear. . .

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Apprentice

I'd feel really uncomfortable bending those wires. There is an alternative where you can have the same effect without permanently bending those wires. It involves thick tape.

I did this mod myself two days ago and tried out different thicknesses of the tape (you'll know when you've put too much), and after finding the right thickness of the tape, my throttle does feel more responsive. This mod saved me $300 which I was planning on using to purchase the SprintBooster (similar to PedalMax).

Try it out. It's a 3 minute mod. Best of all, if you don't like it, you can always just remove the tape (and no harm done to your car).

Check out the original posts that talks about the mod (pictures included). Check out posts #3, 11, and 41.

Any experience with this? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minja View Post
I'd feel really uncomfortable bending those wires.]
Same here, I'd be concerned about messing them up. A couple of later posts mention rotating the sensor cover towards the firewall as having the same affect as bending the brushes. Based on the pictures and description of the sensor, and its orientation in the car, it sounds like it would work. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether it will work on the 11 and newer cars. The ability to rotate the sensor cover depends on the cover-mounting bolt holes being slotted.

minja, when you were doing the tape mod, did you happen to notice if those bolt holes were slotted or not?

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
PONY Member

My fiancee just purchased the Sprintbooster for me for my 2014 GT. I mainly went with the Sprintbooster because it had free shipping plus it comes with the little cable and button to go from normal, 50%, and 100%. It sounds like these make the car more fun to drive and I don't want a tune while I'm still under warranty so this should do for now.

I should get it next week sometime.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Apprentice

Jason...I didn't see the thread you referenced until after I did the tape mod, so I didn't see it. You should try it. It doesn't require taking apart anything. Just making sure your car is off and basically adding a thin wedge where the throttle pedal goes down and back up. You're just eliminating a fraction of that "free play" your pedal had when you stomp on the gas so that your throttle is engaged a fraction of a second quicker. Check out the posts I referenced -- it'll literally take you like a minute or two to try it out to see if it improves the throttle response. I've been happy with my results.
Apprentice

Let us know what you think after you've installed the Sprintbooster. When I looked into getting one, I preferred the Sprintbooster over the PedalMax due to the ease of the install. After you install it, I believe you can also turn it off, correct? Just wondering how much of a difference 50% or 100% will make.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Jason...I didn't see the thread you referenced until after I did the tape mod, so I didn't see it. You should try it. It doesn't require taking apart anything. Just making sure your car is off and basically adding a thin wedge where the throttle pedal goes down and back up. You're just eliminating a fraction of that "free play" your pedal had when you stomp on the gas so that your throttle is engaged a fraction of a second quicker. Check out the posts I referenced -- it'll literally take you like a minute or two to try it out to see if it improves the throttle response. I've been happy with my results.
Okay, I'll just have to get the ambition to go out to the garage, pull the cover off the car, and check the bolt holes on the sensor.

Yeah, in those 52 pages there were a bunch of guys doing the tape mod as well. There was even a guy that used a layer of the 3M tape and a penny to reduce the chance of the tape compressing over time and losing its effectiveness.

I think I'm going to explore the rotate-cover option first if it's possible, then go from there. I'm actually thinking of looking at my 04 F150 to see if something like this would work on it, lol.

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
PONY Member

Quote:
Let us know what you think after you've installed the Sprintbooster. When I looked into getting one, I preferred the Sprintbooster over the PedalMax due to the ease of the install. After you install it, I believe you can also turn it off, correct? Just wondering how much of a difference 50% or 100% will make.
There is supposedly three modes. Off, street(50%) and I think race(100%). I will give my impressions once I get it and are able to install it and drive the car.

The car is put up for the winter but if a nice day comes around, I may go get it and drive it.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lag , throttle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page