2011 GT: AC Making Clicking Sound - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 GT: AC Making Clicking Sound

My 2011 GT started to make a clicking (click, click, click ...) sound when I start the engine or change the direction of the blow. Usually it clicks most, if I change the direction from defrost to front blow or from front blow to defrost. It does NOT click, if I chance the temperature or put circulating mode on/off. Having the AC on or off does not have any effect.

I did some searching and found out that the problem is one of the door actuators:

Ford Service Manuals - REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Has anyone had exactly same behavior in their 2011-2014 Mustang? Which actuator behaves like that when it is broken? Please do not tell me that it is the one behind the passenger's airbag... Other 2 I can change myself, but I am not sure do I want to touch the one behind the airbag...?

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I believe that you will find that it is this actuator.

Your symptoms are the same that my daughter had in her 2010 GT. It was a royal pain to get to (as are most things under the dash) but it is possible to replace yourself (and a whole lot less expensive than having the dealer do it). If I recall, she purchased the part on-line for around $40. The dealer wanted around $200 to replace it.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post

Your symptoms are the same that my daughter had in her 2010 GT. It was a royal pain to get to (as are most things under the dash) but it is possible to replace yourself (and a whole lot less expensive than having the dealer do it). If I recall, she purchased the part on-line for around $40. The dealer wanted around $200 to replace it.
I really hope it is that one and not the one behind the airbag. I will have to drop the glove box and check which one is broken.

2011 Mustang GT Premium

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015
PONY Member

I had a similar problem with one of these clicking actuators, I think it cost me around $300 (dealer repair). I'm not sure which location it was. This seems to be a fairly common problem on Fords.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:

I had exactly same one broken in my GT. Thanks for the tip!

I removed the glove box today and it was pretty easy check which one makes that ticking sound. Now I just have to order the right replacement part and find right tools to do the job myself. 2 of the screws seems to be difficult to reach with normal screw driver.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just ordered replacement part from Amazon (Greenway Ford). It was $13.49 + tax with free shipping. I hope this is the right part?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DZN4NG

2011 Ford Mustang HVAC Blend Door Motor | FordParts.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Replacement part arrived on Monday and today I tried to change the part without success. I was able to remove 2 of the screws but I did not have right tools to remove last one on the bottom further away from myself. How did you guys do it?

2011 Mustang GT Premium
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If I recall correctly that last screw required an offset ratchet screwdriver. It was a while ago but I think that is what I used.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
If I recall correctly that last screw required an offset ratchet screwdriver. It was a while ago but I think that is what I used.
I tried that, but it was not even close that I was able to do it with offset ratchet screwdriver. There was no room for the screwdriver and the socket.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I believe that this is the tool that I used.
2011 GT: AC Making Clicking Sound-imageuploadedbyautoguide1440754999.324060.jpg

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I believe that this is the tool that I used.
Attachment 459777
I tried exactly similar tool, but with 8mm socket. It still did not fit there. I have to modify the tool and socket quite a bit to make the it smaller.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I was able to fix the problem today. I had to modify my offset ratchet screwdriver to make it fit. It was pain still to do it. Now the AC is working again perfectly and I saved couple of hundred bucks

I also opened my faulty actuator. One tooth of the gear was broken and that caused the clicking noise.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
PONY Member

My 2011 GT Mustang had the clicking failure for a long time. It would go CLUNK - CLUNK - CLUNK about four times every time I started the vehicle.

As far as I could tell the AC worked fine, except for the objectionable noise. There was obviously something wrong, maybe the dual zone control was not operating properly, but this was almost always a one-passenger vehicle.

This was just analyzed and repaired by me.

There are three blend door motors on my dual-zone HVAC system.

Parts Listing

The glove box was removed. With me under the dash, the vehicle was started, to make the sound. I felt the strongest vibration from the passenger side front blend motor, so that is the one I yanked.

Of course Ford made one of the screws almost impossible to remove. The other two came out no problemo using a 8mm socket w/ 6" extension. The difficult screw required a combination wrench an 1/6 rotation turns to get it out. (That screw replacement required a magnet tool to get it started. My bet is that the dealership NEVER replaces that screw.)

Once the blend door motor was out I opened the motor to verify the failure. One tooth was gone on the final gear. Of course, the highest torque / lowest speed / most gear stress failed on that plastic gear.

The dealership parts department confirmed they have LOTS of this failure. Also a service guy started my car one time for another problem and announced I had the blend door motor failure. The listings for this part on eBay have sold thousands of these parts.

The new blend door motor was disassembled and appears to be identical to me, with NO design improvement to prevent this failure.

HVAC Floor Airflow Blend Door Motor Installed

Failed Motor Gearbox - One Tooth Missing

New Mopar YH-1801 AR3Z-19E616E Blend Door Motor

New Mopar YH-1801 AR3Z-19E616E Blend Door Gearbox

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page