DSS Aluminum Driveshaft - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I love my DSS, super quiet, no vibration.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
I love my DSS, super quiet, no vibration.
^ ditto, great product, easy install and smooth as glass from 0-150

was good for 8 more HP to the wheels

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Forgot I posted this... yeah, I'll probably be switching back to stock as I have vibration. Approaching 65 and higher it's a vibration that goes through the whole car, subtle but there, slightly vibrating my rear very mirror.
Wasn't sure it is needed rebalanced or if that would even help. And as it was not disclosed in the description, when the car is on the lift the shaft rubs on the top of the exhaust pipes...
Overall, I can tell a bit more snap from the beast, which I like, but I certainly don't like the vibration. I don't want it to wreck anything else or damage the motor, if that's possible.
I didn't need it but enjoyed the idea of a few extras horses with less rotating mass... and all that stuff but the vibrating ruins the benefits I've enjoyed.
With so few miles on it, I might try to sell it

Banned

The driveshaft has a balance weight on it near the rear if the shaft. Did you line that weight up with the yellow dot on your pinion flange for proper phasing? The reason you do this is to align the light side of the drive shaft with the heavy side of the pinion flange, thus cancelling out harmonic vibrations.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by stevegt2012; 12-09-2015 at 10:57 AM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Stevegt2012, I'm not sure, I *assume* my mechanic did that but I'd have to ask.
Is this something I can crawl under the car to verify?
Banned

Easily verified with the back on ramps or car on lift and drive shaft rotated so the area in question is facing somewhat down. This pic shows what you are looking for. You can see the relationship of the balance weight on the drive shaft to the yellow paint dot on the rusty pinion flange.

Note the drive shaft also has a yellow sticker near the balance weight. This is to help the assembly line quickly line up the yellow dots and phase the shaft. Your DSS shaft will have no yellow sticker so you have to use the balance weight itself as the reference point.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underside-ford-mustang-boss-302.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	484522  

Last edited by stevegt2012; 12-10-2015 at 11:05 AM.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Have you contacted DSS yet? The first one I installed had a minor shake at around 30mph. I called them and they sent me a replacement pretty quick.

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well, I got it through AM, right after the start of 2015 but didn't get it put up until summer, so I thought it'd be too late warranty-wise for them to want to do anything.
GT Member

My dss shaft started to have a clicking sound. i believe the cv joint was messed up somehow so i went with another brand.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona2012 View Post
Well, I got it through AM, right after the start of 2015 but didn't get it put up until summer, so I thought it'd be too late warranty-wise for them to want to do anything.
I think I bought mine through Lethal, I think the warranty would be directly through DSS regardless of how you bought it anyways. Not sure where you stand warranty-wise but it couldn't hurt to contact them (DSS) for tech help. They might be able to help you trouble-shoot the cause of the vibration. I just know they were great when I called them, and you're not out anything if it's a dead end.

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page