Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

Greetings all.
Just to be safe to not violate the -
"Necroposting" advisory, I thought I'd start this new thread just to let everybody know I'll soon find out what it's like having a one-piece driveshaft on my 2012 5.0.
I am anticipating it being a nice, minor thing that makes my Pony a bit more snappy.
A big shout out the the folks at the Driveshaft Shop for helping me get new bolts... since I put the originals in one of my "strategic locations (you know, a place I'd remember them later)"... it took my wife to find everything and long story short, it goes into my shop tomorrow.
I'll be eager to give a report on my findings.
Have a good one everybody!
Mark

kdaly1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Did you get it installed yet? Impressions?

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
(with Procal): [email protected] 1.913 60' on stock Goodyears
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015
PONY Member

I too installed one. I went with Shaftmasters. Excellent pc. Easy install. Buttery smooth. But a couple of good things that SM includes surprised me. New bolts,Loc-tite,A socket for the bolts and a cleanup tap to clean the bolt holes prior to installation! Very nice touch. Shaftmasters had the best price I found. The only downside is that I thought the car would be quicker in the qtr. mile. I've run it numerous times in the past so I knew what the car turns. Absolutely no change in ET or MPH. Oh well still nicer than the bulky stock unit.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well. After the first week with the ONE PIECE, I can say I like it. I believe to the slightest degree the car feels snappier and more responsive.
I do seem to feel a bit of vibration at around 70MPH but below and above there it's smooth.
Also... not really that concerned about this but I seem to be noticing an up tick in MPG... I have my usual commute tomorrow for school so I plan to test that theory for sure.
Not sure if the Driveshaft Shop would think it needs rebalanced or what but I did also have my tires rotated and I was thinking it could be that until the fronts wear a bit.
Otherwise I am satisfied and even with a little vibration I plan to keep it on for the weight savings. Can't hurt the engine if it's Turing 25 less pounds.
I also had a BMR Loop installed but not sure I'd really need it the way it's tucked up above the exhaust and the mechanic did show me that while on the lift the shafts rubs on the exhaust in the back but while on the ground it doesn't, kinda disappointed with that fitment issue but it's fine on the ground and I don't plan on jumping it to full flex anytime soon.
Thanks for reminding me to post my impressions. Forgot there for a bit.
Mark
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

You mean 'SNAPPY' only cost $700!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well, being a novice, not sure what else I'm supposed to feel.
Since I had it done, my driving has been around town and as I said my highway commute will begin tomorrow to give me more time in the car and under highway conditions... all I've done so far is run the kids around town.
And I would like to do my car performance gps test as well to see my 0-60 times to get some definitive data. But that will have to wait till fall.
And I sold my DeLorean back in November so that snappiness WAS a bit of stupid money, so I really wasn't concerned about dollar-per-HP, it was more of an impulse buy... that and a set of 20 inch Shelby Razors. And two years prior to that, I added a set of Roush Axlebacks (more weight reduction)... so I am curious to see my 0-60 times for sure.
So yeah... don't judge... lol.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I got a DSS AL driveshaft because I didn't like the "clunkiness" of the two-piece unit. I definitely noticed the difference after it was installed. The CV joint is more forgiving of pinion angle setting. For me, it was money well spent.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015
Apprentice

I didnt notice any difference with mine. I think I'm glad I bought it lol. First one had a defect. Second one is fine. Both sucked to install on jack stands with a lowered stance.

11 5.0 Prem|M6|Vortech SC w/ Lund|Beef TB Kit|JLT|BAP|ID1000's|Stoptech ST-40|3:55|MGW+BFR Bracket|DSS|F14 20x9&10.5|MPSS 275/295|GC Coilovers|TR Hood|JPC BOV|BMR K-Mem-Full Sus|ARH LT/Catted H to GT500|Seat Delete|Boss Stuff|Spkrs

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I like the idea of an aluminum driveshaft, even if the difference is not super noticeable. It is an efficiency thing -- getting more of the power that the engine produces to the rear wheels. Any time you can do that, it's a good thing.

That said . . . when I had one in my car, I couldn't tell much difference, except for the vibration under certain conditions (this was one without the CV joint) . . . so I took it out, to be check out and rebalanced if needed . . . . and it is still sitting there in my workshop waiting . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice

I would be concerned about the vibration though. I'd see if the tires were okay but you would've felt that before if it was the tires.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would be concerned about the vibration though. . . . .
Yeah, that's why I took it out, to make sure there is no issue with the shaft itself.

I noticed a vibration, more like a low frequency hum, when coasting in neutral at highway speeds. I figured that was the driveshaft vibrating around a bit, since it had no load on it to keep it from moving around.

I'm pretty sure it is just inherent vibration due to the "phasing" issues in the drivetrain; due to the fact that the orientation of the transmission in the chassis is not optimum, so the transmission/driveshaft and driveshaft/pinion angles cannot be perfectly equal and opposite like they "should" be.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Yeah. I need to get that checked. Not sure why it would be doing that given that it was balanced from the DSS. I have to look for a shop that can balance it again and check my set up to see what's up.
PONY Member

I too find the vibration to be troublesome. I ran mine up to 120mph and it was smooth thru the whole mph range.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Right. I took mine to almost 120 as well and it only does it around 70mph. You know, cruising speed.
GT Member

i had the dss one and i sold it, i didnt like it at all. I bought the dynotech one and i love it. I have no issues with it. Although you need a long allen wrech socket to torque it down and i didnt have that before i started lol.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page