12 Mustang GT Mod Project List - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

12 Mustang GT Mod Project List

First time post, I am currently deployed and just trying to kill some time (and money) when I come back.
Currently I have 12 GT Auto with only K&N drop , Flowmaster Cat Back, and Diablo Intune w/ 93 Octane from the previous owner.

I have modified it with Staggered 19 TSW Nuremberg w/ Potenza. Raxiom head/fog lights and tail lights.

It's going to be my daily so I didn't want to heavily modify it for drag race.
I looked into the following build base on Naturally Aspirated route
Pypes off road X Pipe
Kooks Shorty Headers
either JLT or C&L CAI
4.10 Gear
Ford Racing Brembo 6 Piston Upgrade Kit 15 in (front and rear)
Eibach Pro System Plus
BMR Adjustaable Panhard Bar

BMR Rear Lower Control Arms
Boss Racing Lower Front Fascia

Feel free to make recommendations if you have any of them or would even recommend a different route for the same cost.
Also any personal recommendations for shops in FL would be helpful as well, I have couple in mind but I would like to hear from local customers.

Thanks in advance.

12 GT Premium Auto
19' Staggered Nurburgring w/ Potenza, Flow Master Outlaw Cat Back, Raxiom Head/Fog/Tail Lights, Diablo inTune I-1000 93 OCT

Last edited by qchen; 08-26-2015 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
PONY Member

welcome, I don't have anything to provide for your build list. I can thank you for your service and ask that you be careful!

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by qchen View Post
First time post, I am currently deployed and just trying to kill some time (and money) when I come back.
Currently I have 12 GT Auto with only K&N drop , Flowmaster Cat Back, and Diablo Intune w/ 93 Octane from the previous owner.

Feel free to make recommendations if you have any of them or would even recommend a different route for the same cost.
Also any personal recommendations for shops in FL would be helpful as well, I have couple in mind but I would like to hear from local customers.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, thanks for your service.
-Pypes off road X Pipe - Might give you raspy notes. Keep your resonators with this stuff. But OR gives you more HP so I like your style on this one. H Pipes do give you more of that muscle tone and more torque down low but the x gives you more HP up high.

-Kooks Shorty Headers - Not really worth the cost and install costs if your not doing it yourself. They are a PITA to install. I got them as they allowed me to eeek every HP outta my motor. They sound cool but I couldnt tell the difference after install on the butt dyno. ARH is another good company to consider.

-either JLT or C&L CAI - Go with airaid. I think they are easier to tune. BTW you want a tune! Go with Lund or AED

-4.10 Gear - Skip this. Very expensive. I was gonna ask what gear you have but my opinion is the less gear the better unless you have great tires. Most cant make 1st hook up anyway with the tires their running.

-Ford Racing Brembo 6 Piston Upgrade Kit 15 in (front and rear) - Tits, look at Stoptech ST60 and ST40 as well. Or GT500 Take offs. Always good to have too much brakes, plus they look cool

-Eibach Pro System Plus - never used it so I cant tell ya. I had Koni's with hotchkis springs and loved it. Now i run CO's and relatively cheap ones and love them. Still Koni Dampened.

-BMR Adjustaable Panhard Bar - Good Stuff

-BMR Rear Lower Control Arms - good stuff. Make sure you get their upper control arm and relocation bracket for both the upper and lower. It helps with wheel hop and pinion angle correction

-Boss Racing Lower Front Fascia - gonna look good

Again Thanks for being a badass and keeping us safe.

11 5.0 Prem|M6|Vortech SC w/ Lund|Beef TB Kit|JLT|BAP|ID1000's|Stoptech ST-40|3:55|MGW+BFR Bracket|DSS|F14 20x9&10.5|MPSS 275/295|GC Coilovers|TR Hood|JPC BOV|BMR K-Mem-Full Sus|ARH LT/Catted H to GT500|Seat Delete|Boss Stuff|Spkrs

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
Apprentice

^+1!!
Skip the headers, skip the gears and get a custom tune from a reputable tuner (Lund or AED) i have American thunder axle backs with a lethal performance off road x pipe and I've been told i have one of the purest sounding coyotes in the area.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Converter !! Auto's love a nice stall, other than that you seem to be on point with your mods. Long tubes Intake Tune w/ suspension to support it !

Lots of parts. Still slow
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
Yes, thanks for your service.
-Pypes off road X Pipe - Might give you raspy notes. Keep your resonators with this stuff. But OR gives you more HP so I like your style on this one. H Pipes do give you more of that muscle tone and more torque down low but the x gives you more HP up high.

-Kooks Shorty Headers - Not really worth the cost and install costs if your not doing it yourself. They are a PITA to install. I got them as they allowed me to eeek every HP outta my motor. They sound cool but I couldnt tell the difference after install on the butt dyno. ARH is another good company to consider.

-either JLT or C&L CAI - Go with airaid. I think they are easier to tune. BTW you want a tune! Go with Lund or AED

-4.10 Gear - Skip this. Very expensive. I was gonna ask what gear you have but my opinion is the less gear the better unless you have great tires. Most cant make 1st hook up anyway with the tires their running.

-Ford Racing Brembo 6 Piston Upgrade Kit 15 in (front and rear) - Tits, look at Stoptech ST60 and ST40 as well. Or GT500 Take offs. Always good to have too much brakes, plus they look cool

-Eibach Pro System Plus - never used it so I cant tell ya. I had Koni's with hotchkis springs and loved it. Now i run CO's and relatively cheap ones and love them. Still Koni Dampened.

-BMR Adjustaable Panhard Bar - Good Stuff

-BMR Rear Lower Control Arms - good stuff. Make sure you get their upper control arm and relocation bracket for both the upper and lower. It helps with wheel hop and pinion angle correction

-Boss Racing Lower Front Fascia - gonna look good

Again Thanks for being a badass and keeping us safe.
Thanks, that's great info to know before hand, I guess my build idea is that I want to get everything done at once, 1 custom tune that I can just use for year to come. I am not a track or drag race guy, I just get more bit out of my car and better handling.

The brake system I looked at are actually pretty cheap for the whole set off AM, everywhere else are usually double the price.

I do have brother's performance and steeda as some of places I looked at to get it done, both has really good reputation so I figured whoever I pick I'll get the most out of it.

l think stock auto gear are at 3.31, everyone seems to say either 3.71 or 4.10 would be better way.

12 GT Premium Auto
19' Staggered Nurburgring w/ Potenza, Flow Master Outlaw Cat Back, Raxiom Head/Fog/Tail Lights, Diablo inTune I-1000 93 OCT
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by qchen View Post
Thanks, that's great info to know before hand, I guess my build idea is that I want to get everything done at once, 1 custom tune that I can just use for year to come. I am not a track or drag race guy, I just get more bit out of my car and better handling.

The brake system I looked at are actually pretty cheap for the whole set off AM, everywhere else are usually double the price.

I do have brother's performance and steeda as some of places I looked at to get it done, both has really good reputation so I figured whoever I pick I'll get the most out of it.

l think stock auto gear are at 3.31, everyone seems to say either 3.71 or 4.10 would be better way.
Yes any custom tune from a reputable person will work for years to come. And its not dependent on your use of the car, just the mods.

I've never seen a brake system that is cheap. Do you have a link? Just wanna make sure your not getting some POS that isn't any better then the stock setup. And BTW the stock setup is good and you'll get a lot out of it if you upgrade the pads, fluid, and Stainless Steel Braided lines. They have plenty of stopping power especially for a cruiser. I only got upgraded brakes because I hate money and love the look, lol. The do feel amazing tho

I think the next thing you are addressing is the suspension so in regards to you taking it to steeda, nothing wrong with that.. You can call Kelly from BMR and he will get you only what you need and nothing you dont. Plus you can install this stuff yourself if ya want.

IMHO the 3.31 is a great gear setup. Allows for the most traction and best MPG. I have 3.55 and I think its great but it came with the car. 3.73 is fine but for a grand or more its not worth it. A stall converter is what you want to look into. I dont have any experience with these but its really for drag racing.

Get a badass tune and suspension(dampers,springs,PH bar, Upper and lower control arms with relo brackets, and some aftermarket brake pads. That will transform your car. No need to get nutty unless ur crazy like the rest of us. But trust me start with these and work from there if you see that its not enough for ya.

11 5.0 Prem|M6|Vortech SC w/ Lund|Beef TB Kit|JLT|BAP|ID1000's|Stoptech ST-40|3:55|MGW+BFR Bracket|DSS|F14 20x9&10.5|MPSS 275/295|GC Coilovers|TR Hood|JPC BOV|BMR K-Mem-Full Sus|ARH LT/Catted H to GT500|Seat Delete|Boss Stuff|Spkrs

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

The combo of shorties and cat delete and daily driver makes no sense to me...if it's a DD, keep the cats. If you're deleting the cats, go long tubes. You've already got some pretty nice tri-y shorties from ford.

Big brakes also make no sense. They'll slow you down- those rotors weigh 32lbs each. Either keep the stock stuff or do the 14" setup. For street stuff or drag racing the calipers barely matter.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

On the gears....go find a gear calculator and plug in some values. I bet you'll find 4.10's and the auto to be way too short without using a mega-tall tire.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

PONY Member

Garage
I don't know if they would work or not - but I got Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust to replace the dual stock of my 2014 GT/CS and it is super sounding. And mine is a summer car but we drive it quite a bit during the summer. We don't race it at all - except by ourselves out in the country and not really racing just pushing the gears a bit LOL. You would have to cut your bumper just a bit and get the matching valance for the GT500 Quads but from what I understand there is a line already on the bumper to follow to cut. There is a video on you-tube. A guy putting the Corsa on a 2013 GT.

https://youtu.be/iFYUYVudfcg

(2) 2014 Mustang GT/CS Premium California Special Race Red
1 Convertible w/Black Top
1 Coupe with Panoramic Roof
Coupe has the navigation system, Vert after market Pioneer 8100 Nex with Metra Kit
Both 19 x 8.5-in. machined face with black
painted aluminum wheels
Both with 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust.
BOSS Member

Garage
Automatics come with a 3.15 in the rear axle. Most auto guys are finding it's better to leave the gears alone and go with an aftermarket torque converter- Circle D is the big name there.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I'd do brakes and suspension mods.....and put a SCer on it.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
Yes any custom tune from a reputable person will work for years to come. And its not dependent on your use of the car, just the mods.

I've never seen a brake system that is cheap. Do you have a link? Just wanna make sure your not getting some POS that isn't any better then the stock setup. And BTW the stock setup is good and you'll get a lot out of it if you upgrade the pads, fluid, and Stainless Steel Braided lines. They have plenty of stopping power especially for a cruiser. I only got upgraded brakes because I hate money and love the look, lol. The do feel amazing tho

I think the next thing you are addressing is the suspension so in regards to you taking it to steeda, nothing wrong with that.. You can call Kelly from BMR and he will get you only what you need and nothing you dont. Plus you can install this stuff yourself if ya want.

IMHO the 3.31 is a great gear setup. Allows for the most traction and best MPG. I have 3.55 and I think its great but it came with the car. 3.73 is fine but for a grand or more its not worth it. A stall converter is what you want to look into. I dont have any experience with these but its really for drag racing.

Get a badass tune and suspension(dampers,springs,PH bar, Upper and lower control arms with relo brackets, and some aftermarket brake pads. That will transform your car. No need to get nutty unless ur crazy like the rest of us. But trust me start with these and work from there if you see that its not enough for ya.

Thanks for the input, the brakes I thought that was reasonable was this:
Ford Racing Brembo 6-Piston Mustang Brake Upgrade Kit - 15in Rotor M-2300-T (05-14 GT, Bullitt, Boss, GT500) - Free Shipping
And I am with you on that the too, the prev owner painted the stock caliper green and now it's fading, maybe I should just buy the caliper cover instead? But sometimes I just feel the brakes are too soft and I don't know if everyone else has the same problem with stock brakes.

Yea I looked at some torque converters yesterday, couldn't really find any for the year, I just don't know if I searched for the right brand or place.

12 GT Premium Auto
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Like the others have said ... thank you for your service!

As far as a shop goes, we have shops in both Pompano Beach, FL & Valdosta, GA. IF you would like, you can email me at [email protected] & we can put one hell of a package together for you including install & military pricing.

The benefit would be going with all of the same brand, getting a great price & having both the parts & install backed by Steeda!

Here is our installer in GA, you are in great hands:

James B.
ASE-Certified Technician

James has over 25 years of experience as a Ford ASE-factory trained technician and is located at our Valdosta, Georgia location. He is also an SCCA road racer and auto-crosser with over 15 years of racing experience. James brings many years of experience to the team and is working closely with the engineers in Valdosta on product development for the S550.

Here is what we can do from a handling perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_snajrgC0g

Shoot me an email with your budget & we can start to build your custom package!

Best Regards,

TJ

That's awesome, I'll shoot you an email with my build list, and driving to GA is a possibility as you guys do have the front fasicia w/ cooling that I am really interested.

12 GT Premium Auto
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
The combo of shorties and cat delete and daily driver makes no sense to me...if it's a DD, keep the cats. If you're deleting the cats, go long tubes. You've already got some pretty nice tri-y shorties from ford.

Big brakes also make no sense. They'll slow you down- those rotors weigh 32lbs each. Either keep the stock stuff or do the 14" setup. For street stuff or drag racing the calipers barely matter.

Do you have any recommended 14' set ups? Thanks.

12 GT Premium Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
built list , modifitcation , naturally aspirated , shops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page