Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wannamach1
  • 1 Post By kdaly1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
rear view mirror rattle

My 2013 has developed a rattle in the rear view mirror. Anyone else experienced this. 40k miles so it's out of warranty.

2013 5.0 Track Pack. Special ordered new by me.
401A, Navigation, Roush AB, Boss 302 side exhaust, Steed CAI, ProDyno Tune, MGW Race Spec, MRT Louvers, MRT Hood Struts, Roush Hood Scoop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Two years this month with 12,200 miles and mine stared to rattle about a month ago. Only happens on the highway. Starting to get on my nerves!

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Had mine replaced twice under warranty. Second time about 3 weeks ago. This time it was actually so bad it was masking a dash rattle, so now I have to fix that.

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
(with Procal): [email protected] 1.913 60' on stock Goodyears

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
So I guess replacement is the only answer. I had thought about trying to open it up. Lol. Maybe see the cause. I don't know what to do at this point.
huberoy123 likes this.

2013 5.0 Track Pack. Special ordered new by me.
401A, Navigation, Roush AB, Boss 302 side exhaust, Steed CAI, ProDyno Tune, MGW Race Spec, MRT Louvers, MRT Hood Struts, Roush Hood Scoop
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamach1 View Post
So I guess replacement is the only answer. I had thought about trying to open it up. Lol. Maybe see the cause. I don't know what to do at this point.
I'd probably try and open it up too. Im sure youll be able to fix it if you did
huberoy123 likes this.

11 5.0 Prem|M6|Vortech SC w/ Lund|Beef TB Kit|JLT|BAP|ID1000's|Stoptech ST-40|3:55|MGW+BFR Bracket|DSS|F14 20x9&10.5|MPSS 275/295|GC Coilovers|TR Hood|JPC BOV|BMR K-Mem-Full Sus|ARH LT/Catted H to GT500|Seat Delete|Boss Stuff|Spkrs

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015
Apprentice

Garage
I wanted to do that too, and I would have if they hadn't replaced it under warranty. At times I also wanted to fill that piece of crap with gorilla glue, and see if that would make it quiet!

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
(with Procal): [email protected] 1.913 60' on stock Goodyears
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015
Rookie
S197 Member

Mine doesn't make noise. But on the highway it shakes and blurs the image. And hands free calling is useless. No warranty on that part and dealer didn't really help. Has done that for a couple years.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015
Rookie

There are two reasons the mirror is rattling. First is the mount to the windshield. To fix this I wrapped an elastic band under the mount on the windshield, twisted the elastic band once returned the opposite direction over the mirror and under the mount. I still had enough length of the elastic left so a third wrap was needed. The wraps are not visible and that issue was resolved. The second rattle is the female connector rattles to the mirror case. I unplugged the wire harness, and rotated the mirror so I could see the port. Than I mixed a small amount of fast setting JB Weld. I used a toothpick and applied a small amount around the perimeter of the female plug. After it set I reinstalled the wire harness adjusted the mirror and happy to say rattle free!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015
PONY Member

As Fast Freddy already posted, for some people this can be fixed by wedging a rubber or elastic band or o-ring under the plastic mounting piece on the windshield. If you google "mustang mirror rattle fix" or similar you can find some posts about this with photographs, and there are one or two youtube videos.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page