Another exhaust thread.. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Red face Another exhaust thread..

Sorry to start yet another exhaust thread but I have searched everywhere and listened to probably every youtube vid. My question is for everyone who has been down this road and their input from their own experience! So, I have a 2011 gt. I bought the FR touring exhaust because of how quiet the car was at first. I previously owned a 2005 gt. I slapped on the ford racing stingers and she sounded great! Not in thia case though. I was disappointed with hoe quiet it still was. So, i bought a JBA h pipe. It was deeper, but not enough. (Thats what she said). Finally, i deleted the resonators. Again, not enough. I dont like really loud exhaust by any means, but i couldnt even hear it idle. Sounded like the car was off. So my question is this: How can increase the deepness at idle (amd throughout)? Should i just get new AB's? If so, which ones, because i already have my res delete and jba, and ive heard/seen that they make some AB's that are great on stock sound bad w/out the resonators. I like deep tone, muscle car sound. I live in a city, actuallu downtown, so it cant be crazy loud. Obviously, no drone is a plus. Kooks? Too loud with my current set up? Ive been wanting the boss 302 intake. Will that make it deeper? Especially, i want to hear a rumble at idle. Thanks for any input! And thanksfor reading my novel!

Arthur C. Clarke 'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

GT500's, o/r H pipe, headers, resonator delete

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I cant do off road h pipe. Ive thought about the gt500s. Worried they will not have deep enough rumble at idle. People say they are quiet at idle.

Arthur C. Clarke 'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.'

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015
Apprentice

Garage
I had the ford racing sport axle backs. I also have the JBA H-pipe and resonator deletes. The ford racing sport axle backs have a nice refined noise. It is not obnoxiously loud, but decently louder than stock at full throttle and probably louder than the touring ones you are running. At idle you can hear them, but they aren't really much louder than stock (at idle). Unfortunately, I wanted louder still and got the flowmaster outlaws. I have the ford racing sport axlesbacks for sale in the FS section (shameless plug I know). Hope this helps. My quest for loud let me to the outlaws. They are obnoxiously loud at full throttle, but when cruising on the highway, not really much louder than stock in my opinion.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
GT500 mufflers with a set of headers and a catted mid pipe sound great. They do have a very low rumble at idle but they sound amazing wide open. They sound good with the factory headers and cats but they really shine with a set of headers. They do get loud too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Haha. I like the plug! I would be scared to go with the sports and it not be loud enough, AGAIN! Thanks for the reply! I am starting to think I need gt500's. I hope these are the answer. The tourings were expensive, especially for only AB's. I might just go with something like kooks...Im still confused to be honest.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Kooks or GT500 AB's?? Small price difference. Heard the kooks are just louder, but same deep tone.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015
Rookie

Hey take what I say with a grain of salt bc ive only been in the mustang/modding world for a little over a year but my 5.0 is completely stock and I just cut the catback factory boxes ( idk what they are really called and if anyone knows please tell me. The rectangular boxes at the tips of the exhaust) I cut those off and just straight piped it back and it sounds amazing!!! at idle its a low roar with that amazing pumping sound and wide open its loud really loud but low at the same time. Im looking at doing headers and x pipe later but ill prob just leave the back for that sound. And with this I dry around town and its not loud unless I want it to be. BUT BE WARNED if you drive like me with a radar on long trips get soundproofing for the car bc after 90mph its insanely loud.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Yeah, I think that would just be too loud for me. bet it sounds awesome though. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Leaning towards GT500's. Hopefully they are what everyone says they are. And, they are not too loud with my resonator delete and JBA H-pipe.

GT Member

I don't think it'll be too loud for you from what I've seen you say in the other replies above. I have heard (not literally just read) but that with the resonators deleted it caused kind of a metal rattling sounds at acceleration. I saw a video about it on YouTube and it's hard to tell but I kind of heard what he was mentioning. Said he put the resonators back on and it eliminated that sound by 85% i think is the way he worded it. Probably just isn't used to a catless exhaust sound. I have a set of off road down pipes in my garage that i've not been able to install yet and already have Gt500s and res deletes so let me know how it sounds if you do it before I do

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I don't think it'll be too loud for you from what I've seen you say in the other replies above. I have heard (not literally just read) but that with the resonators deleted it caused kind of a metal rattling sounds at acceleration. I saw a video about it on YouTube and it's hard to tell but I kind of heard what he was mentioning. Said he put the resonators back on and it eliminated that sound by 85% i think is the way he worded it. Probably just isn't used to a catless exhaust sound. I have a set of off road down pipes in my garage that i've not been able to install yet and already have Gt500s and res deletes so let me know how it sounds if you do it before I do
Ok cool. I am back and fourth between the gt500 and kooks. I have off road down pipes but do not want to worry about all the sensor issues and emissions so i havnt installed them. I have a JBA h pipe as well, that i think adds a little tone. The gt500s seem easier to find used than the kooks too. Just dont want to swap AB's yet again if i am not happy with them. I might just wait and spend 600 on the kooks.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout5.0 View Post
Ok cool. I am back and fourth between the gt500 and kooks. I have off road down pipes but do not want to worry about all the sensor issues and emissions so i havnt installed them. I have a JBA h pipe as well, that i think adds a little tone. The gt500s seem easier to find used than the kooks too. Just dont want to swap AB's yet again if i am not happy with them. I might just wait and spend 600 on the kooks.
Honestly what you should do is if you plan on using the offroad down pipes get the gt500s. The kooks will be too loud then but if you have plan on keeping your cats the gt500 probably might not be loud enough under low throttle so I've heard kooks is a little louder. If your resonators are still in you should think about removing them if you like to hear your exhaust. Sensors shouldn't be a problem w offroad if you can get a tuner and turn off the light. Emissions yeah not gonna pass like that

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page