My battery just exploded.... - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

My battery just exploded....

Hi-

I have a 2014 GT and keep the OEM battery on a Genius charger/trickler.... Removed that tonight, closed hood, turned on ignition and the battery exploded out the top and sides. WOW! That is freaking scary...

I drove the car a couple of months ago to get inspected and it has been sitting since May...

What happened? Acid poured out the bottom of car... Can I just put on protective gear and remove the old battery and reinstall?!?! Not sure what to do here.

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8582.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	465242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
Apprentice

mix up a $hitl*ad of baking soda and water into a paste and get it EVERYWHERE any acid made contact with ANYTHING.

Sulfuric acid is VERY CORROSIVE.

get that old battery out of there NOW.

You haven't started yet?

RWSRWS

crjackson2134 likes this.

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSRWS View Post
mix up a $hitl*ad of baking soda and water into a paste and get it EVERYWHERE any acid made contact with ANYTHING.

Sulfuric acid is VERY CORROSIVE.

get that old battery out of there NOW.

You haven't started yet?

RWSRWS
+1 Get the old battery out and clean everything. It'll make a mess of your paint and start to eat metal.

I can't say for sure but you may be able to get a warranty claim if the battery was defective. Although I wonder if the trickle charger might have overcharged the battery, in which case the Ford warranty won't cover it.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Your charging of the battery produced gas. Small spark and BOOM!!

In the past this was much more common, but get that acid neutralized ASAP!

No, this is not a warranty item...

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Wow, that's scary.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I thought exploding batteries was an urban legend, a myth, or at least a thing of the past . . . apparently not!

The spark and explosion had to be inside the battery; not sure how that works?

But yeah, scary stuff for sure. Careful with that acid . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
When charging a lead/acid battery, you should always do so in a well ventilated area. During charging process, gasses are released and are VERY explosive. The gasses tend to collect in pockets such as under the hood if it is lowered while charging. I've had this happen before too, many years ago. That's why there is an exact procedure for jumper cable connections when boosting a car with a low battery (I know this was not your case, just throwing it out there). It's all about the gasses and sparks. Bad business... Sorry for you turn of events though. As others have said, remove the old battery ASAP and neutralize the residual acid residue. A baking soda compound works pretty well, and there are commercial products that may be more effective. It really will eat right through the metal with time. Good luck...

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks everyone for the suggestions. Baking soda in a spray bottle with water seemed to work. Sprayed and dumped it everywhere I could.

The old battery split right down the middle front to back and blew the caps off.

New battery installed and everything seems ok.

Im going to switch battery charger brands just in case. I was using a Genius 3500...which seems like a really nice unit.

Mike
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member

FYI, mine did the same thing a few months ago, except I drive mine every day and it was not on a charger the night before, or anytime for that matter.

2013 GT Brembo Black, 3:73, 6-Speed, GT500's, Urethan Shift Bushing, 8 Ball Shifter, J&M LCA's & PHB, Eibach Pro springs, SR Performance F/R Adj Sway bars, KONI Orange Struts & Shocks, SCT S4/XF4 tuner w/BAMA tunes.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandascog View Post
FYI, mine did the same thing a few months ago, except I drive mine every day and it was not on a charger the night before, or anytime for that matter.

Oh man I hope I never experience this. Glad you were OK tho OP I've heard of people having this happen to them while they were jumping the car and got acid all over the vehicle and themselves. Thanks for letting us know
standingwave likes this.

Lots of parts. Still slow
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
Your charging of the battery produced gas. Small spark and BOOM!!

In the past this was much more common, but get that acid neutralized ASAP!

No, this is not a warranty item...
Just wondering why this would not be a warranty item? Because he used a charger on it? I don't think that should void a warranty. While it is a "wear" item, the battery did not just die, it exploded.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Just wondering why this would not be a warranty item? Because he used a charger on it? I don't think that should void a warranty. While it is a "wear" item, the battery did not just die, it exploded.
If it's the result of a defective battery then I don't see why it wouldn't be eligible for warranty coverage-albeit prorated.

If it's due to the maintenance charger overcharging the battery then it wouldn't be covered. I have a feeling this is the cause.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandascog View Post

JJ-

did you have a motorcraft battery? That is what mine was..original to the car...

M.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

The battery was not defective. There are warning labels on it....never charge a lead acid battery in an enclosed space.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
GT Member

Long ago riding in my dads truck driving down interstate battery blew up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page