"Whine" after SR Performance LCA Install - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

If the noise wasn't there prior to changing to LCRs, unless it's coincidence, it isn't the differential, right?

I have whine for sure as well, been that way since it came back from SAI. I had the differential rebuilt a couple of times to no avail.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
If the noise wasn't there prior to changing to LCRs, unless it's coincidence, it isn't the differential, right?

I have whine for sure as well, been that way since it came back from SAI. I had the differential rebuilt a couple of times to no avail.
The whine may have been there, just less noticeable because of the rubber bushings, I was also running a Borla ATAK setup at the time, so hearing anything other than the exhaust wasn't possible haha! The hood and Rear decklid are being replaced under warranty Tuesday so I figured I'd have them check the diff as well and see what they say.

2013 Sterling Gray GT/CS - |On3 Performance Twin Turbo|| E85 tuned by Sai Li||MGW Race Spec||Boss 302 Intake||Corsa GT500 Sport Exhaust||3.73 Gears|| BMR UCA||BMR LCA's|| BMR DriveShaft Loop||Shaftmasters One-Piece||19x9.5 TSW Nurburgring Gunmetal With 275/35 Goodyear SuperCar F1's||30% Tint All The Way Around|
#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey
Site Sponsor

Glad to hear those elastomer bushings are working well for you!

Dylan Abbott
[email protected]

www.bmrsuspension.com

VISIT FOR PRODUCT ADVICE, TECH AND SUPPORT ON FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/BMRMustangSupport

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
Glad to hear those elastomer bushings are working well for you!
Absolutely love them, will be getting the rest of my suspension through BMR

2013 Sterling Gray GT/CS - |On3 Performance Twin Turbo|| E85 tuned by Sai Li||MGW Race Spec||Boss 302 Intake||Corsa GT500 Sport Exhaust||3.73 Gears|| BMR UCA||BMR LCA's|| BMR DriveShaft Loop||Shaftmasters One-Piece||19x9.5 TSW Nurburgring Gunmetal With 275/35 Goodyear SuperCar F1's||30% Tint All The Way Around|
#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey
Apprentice

Just out of curiosity, can you pinpoint the location of the noise? Specifically, left side, right side, middle, high up or low?
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Middle, low, rear, much quieter after elastomer bushings. Still present but not mind numbing like it was with the SR arms.

#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey
Apprentice

My 2 cents... You shouldn't hear any whining (higher pitch) from the LCA's even with the firmer bushings. Since your stating the noise is middle, not on the outsides where you the LCA's connect, you may want to take a look at the carrier bearing and right at the pumpkin.

When you changed the LCA's out you did change the angle of the drive shaft. It's possible when the LCA's were disconnected maybe the axle move out of place far enough to put the drive shaft out of alignment (be it ever so slightly).

(I know what I'm about to say may sound crazy and unsafe but it can be done safely without incident. <~~~ But if you kill yourself trying it, I hold no responsibility.)

I would jack up the car, support the axle and the body in the rear, block the front tires, start the car and run it through a few gears and see if you can pinpoint the noise. 2 people would be the only way I'd do it.

Again, not trying to give unsafe advice. I've done it in the past and I used 4 jack stands and 2 jacks. I did safety overkill and I didn't go crazy on speed.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyp View Post
My 2 cents... You shouldn't hear any whining (higher pitch) from the LCA's even with the firmer bushings. Since your stating the noise is middle, not on the outsides where you the LCA's connect, you may want to take a look at the carrier bearing and right at the pumpkin.

When you changed the LCA's out you did change the angle of the drive shaft. It's possible when the LCA's were disconnected maybe the axle move out of place far enough to put the drive shaft out of alignment (be it ever so slightly).

(I know what I'm about to say may sound crazy and unsafe but it can be done safely without incident. <~~~ But if you kill yourself trying it, I hold no responsibility.)

I would jack up the car, support the axle and the body in the rear, block the front tires, start the car and run it through a few gears and see if you can pinpoint the noise. 2 people would be the only way I'd do it.

Again, not trying to give unsafe advice. I've done it in the past and I used 4 jack stands and 2 jacks. I did safety overkill and I didn't go crazy on speed.
Might just give that a try.

#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Vibrations will travel the length of the housing and stiffer LCA bushings will absolutely transfer more noise into the cabin

Quote:
If the aftermarket LCAs are the same length of the factory LCAs then once they are bolted back in place the axle will be in the same location in relation to the driveshaft and body of the car as it was with the factory arms.

Quote:
I wouldn't.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Vibrations will travel the length of the housing and stiffer LCA bushings will absolutely transfer more noise into the cabin.
You are completely correct, stiffer bushings result in NVH. But when I hear someone describe whining I don’t think of vibration in a low pitch shake the car sensation, whining to me is a higher pitch sound. I’ve also (in my experience) never heard LCA’s have whining come from the middle of the car but not the sides where they are connected.

Quote:
If the aftermarket LCAs are the same length of the factory LCAs then once they are bolted back in place the axle will be in the same location in relation to the driveshaft and body of the car as it was with the factory arms.
I was referring to the removal/installation of the LCA’s. At the time of the installation of the new LCA’s I was saying its possible that something was out of alignment at that time. And once the car was returned to the factory location whatever was slightly off kilter remained slightly off and is causing the noise, possibly something binding or a bad bearing that has reared its ugly head.

Quote:
I wouldn't.
It'a risk that most wouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page