I feel my auto 5.0 GT lost some oomph - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks all for your comments.

I don't think a tune is the solution, I want what I had, not something else...

I don't think it's the sparkplugs, I replaced them at 50.000 miles, it did drive a bit better, but not back to when we started "going out".

I'll check the tranny fluid, that seems the most sensible...

Definitively had a good laugh with some of your comments, I love the overall attitude in this forum...

Have a nice day everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Read carefully.

Your problem is a 10 minute fix.

There is nothing wrong with your transmission.

The car uses a factory feature tune which detects and anticipates your driving style and adjusts parameters accordingly... mainly to do with the transmission. This is done for better fuel economy. So when you drive like a senior citizen the car detunes its self to save fuel. This has a direct effect on the way the transmission operates, shifts, and handles power. All of the automatics have this, v6 and GT.

Open your hood. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnected for 10 minutes. After 10 min connect it again and youre done. This will restart the ECU and solve your issue.

There is a fuse which can be pulled which disables the adaptive tune feature for the transmission... So the car always stays on high performance and does NOT adapt to lower performance to save fuel. You can find the thread about this fuse in the v6 section of the forum.

cpembach1 likes this.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Drive a Nissan Micra for a few days. Then your Mustang will be good as new again
Can't get Micra's in the US. Apparently they're too small for Americans lol. Or maybe we're the only ones crazy enough to buy them?

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hello again, buddies,

I changed the tranny fluid, a bit better but still not what it used to feel like.

It can't be the keep alive thing, my battery died a few months ago and I went through the complete "resetting"...

And no, a supercharger or a tune up shouldn't be needed to get back to the begining...

The uphill roll back is what makes me believe I am not being subjective...any further suggestions?

Have a great day everybody
GT Member

the uphill rollback suggests the torque converter is starting to go a bit soft. Lots of reasons why this might happen. Any shuddering through the driveline at light throttle, 35-45 mph? The delay in engagement can indicate this. Try this: warm the car up, blip the gas a couple times and shift into drive as the revs come down. Any clunks, clicking or noises? Do a stall speed test. Manually select second and hold the brakes lightly and see how high the revs go when you press the gas fully (Don't do this for more than 5 seconds). If the stall speed is elevated significantly over 2000 rpm, this may indicate a problem.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish fly View Post
Hello again, buddies,

I changed the tranny fluid, a bit better but still not what it used to feel like.

It can't be the keep alive thing, my battery died a few months ago and I went through the complete "resetting"...

And no, a supercharger or a tune up shouldn't be needed to get back to the begining...

The uphill roll back is what makes me believe I am not being subjective...any further suggestions?

Have a great day everybody
I've not built any automatics in decades, and I know a lot of things have changed. I suspect there isn't really anything worng but what you are noticing is natural wear not failure.

Instead of guessing, I would go to Ford and ask to speak to their tranny guy (if dealers even have one anymore. When I was a tech. we actaually rebuilt and repaird engines / trannys ourselves as opposed to farming it out or getting a crate replacement). If they don't have a builder on site, try to find a well known transmission builder with a good rep.

I wouldn't be surprised just an adjustment of some sort is in order.

It seems you are looking for that tight/crisp feel of a new product but you're driveing something that has loosened up a bit and it bothers you. It can't stay new forever, but it can be adjusted. Just like drum brakes have to be adjusted once in awhile, sometimes so do bands in a transmission (if it has them, not sure about this tranny).

Torque Converters... Yes, they do go bad and they do become worn. I've never personally repaired a vehicle where the torque converter specifically had this as it's only issue, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. In my personal anecdotal experiences, when a torque converter goes bad, it presents with other problems that are way more noticeable than lack of idle creep or hill holding. However you should speak with someone who makes a living at this, my knowledge is decades old.

Valve Bodies... They do wear, and they can lose pressure when starting to fail. A valve body can be diagnosed by a good transmission guy.

So the bottom line is, don't keep guessing. Find a good professional, tell him the problem, pay for a diagnostic then follow through.

Good luck.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo

Last edited by crjackson2134; 10-31-2015 at 02:54 PM.
GT Member

There are no bands in this trans....there haven't been in autos for decades. Now its clutch packs like a motorcycle clutch or trak lok rear end. Like anything, these can wear. The shyt and abuse these transmissions can take without immediately exploding is absolutely amazing. Lots of 9 sec drag cars on unmodified 6r80s.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member

Maybe the car is fine, it's just broken in? Run a 0-60 and do a quarter mile pass and see what those numbers are.

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
There are no bands in this trans....there haven't been in autos for decades.
I guess that shows my age a little. It's been decades since I built a transmission. Good to know, thanks for that. BTW, we had clutch packs back then too.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1N8R View Post
Read carefully.

Your problem is a 10 minute fix.

There is nothing wrong with your transmission.

The car uses a factory feature tune which detects and anticipates your driving style and adjusts parameters accordingly... mainly to do with the transmission. This is done for better fuel economy. So when you drive like a senior citizen the car detunes its self to save fuel. This has a direct effect on the way the transmission operates, shifts, and handles power. All of the automatics have this, v6 and GT.

Open your hood. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnected for 10 minutes. After 10 min connect it again and youre done. This will restart the ECU and solve your issue.

There is a fuse which can be pulled which disables the adaptive tune feature for the transmission... So the car always stays on high performance and does NOT adapt to lower performance to save fuel. You can find the thread about this fuse in the v6 section of the forum.

I was just going to try and say what Terminator just said... try this first before anything!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I guess that shows my age a little. It's been decades since I built a transmission. Good to know, thanks for that. BTW, we had clutch packs back then too.
Me too, to be honest...I've been at this game for over 30 years. Check this out, full vid rebuild of a 6r80:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJUCCVUevMI
moonrakercat likes this.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Me too, to be honest...I've been at this game for over 30 years. Check this out, full vid rebuild of a 6r80:

Thanks, I'll have a look-see later tonight. Yeah, it's been over 35/36 years here too... I still love to play but want someone else to pull the wrenches now

I'm new to Mustangs and there IS a lot to learn, but they sure are fun...

GT Member

Im still pulling my own wrenches....SC installs, engine builds whatever. Sill a pleasure but I do take it a little slower these days.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Im still pulling my own wrenches....SC installs, engine builds whatever. Sill a pleasure but I do take it a little slower these days.
I can't really, I'm disabled now. I'm so far behind the times now I'd probably screw up more than I fixed. I do simple things sometimes but even that is rare.

PONY Member

Quote:

Amazing video - thanks for the post. I would love to spend a month working at that shop. What I would learn !

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page