Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I feel my auto 5.0 GT lost some oomph

Hello friends,

I am a fully non technical guy to begin with, I just love my Mustang.

I have driven it daily for the last 4 years and have put over 68.000 miles on it.

And I have the feeling that it's lost some oomph, I feel it when I start it, before when I put it into D, I had to brake firmly or the car would start advancing inmediately, on a steep uphill it'd move also, now it goes backwards in a steep uphill on d if I don't push the throttle.

My mechanic says the clutch is in perfect condition and he says it's me, that have gotten too comfortable with the huge torque and power it has, but the uphill thing is not subjective.

Consumption remains very similar, haven't felt any difference.

I also have the feeling it's harder for the car to rev up, at first, when I stepped hard on the throttle I had the feeling it was more a projectile than a car, now it takes some time to gain speed...

is it the clutch?

Is it that the engine is "worn out"? I really doubt it, for 68.000 miles (and never been tracked) is nothing for such a huge engine...

Thanks in advance for your expert comments.

cheersssss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
Apprentice

Not sure man, you can try a tune to get back that pep. If your not tuned, I certainly suggest one. You can always dyno it to see if your numbers are where they should be. That is the only way to really know.

11 5.0 Prem|M6|Vortech SC w/ Lund|Beef TB Kit|JLT|BAP|ID1000's|Stoptech ST-40|3:55|MGW+BFR Bracket|DSS|F14 20x9&10.5|MPSS 275/295|GC Coilovers|TR Hood|JPC BOV|BMR K-Mem-Full Sus|ARH LT/Catted H to GT500|Seat Delete|Boss Stuff|Spkrs

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
Apprentice

Are you sure your mechanic was not referring to the clutch packs in the auto transmission? These 6r80's are pretty stout.

Probably due for tune up. Then look into tuning. It makes a big difference on the auto cars. My car tune only was ripping off 12.4's on the stock Nero's.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
Rookie

What gas are you using? Maybe try 93 octane for a bit if you are not. That plus a tune might help things out a bit.

US Navy. Miami Raised, San Diego Living.

Owner:
2003 Mustang GT - Auto, Dark Shadow Gray, LED Interior, 6000k HIDs, Yellow Fogs.

Past Fords:
2000 Crown Vic P71 - White on Black 18" Saleen Reps
2001 Ford F250 SD - Black w/ Chrome on 22" GA7's Deep Dish
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
GT Member
Classic Member

I agree with ^^^^ above. Start with a good tune-up using correct and good quality plugs and filters etc. Its amazing how some of these small things add up to a lot of performance loss. Good luck!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
why not try and change the trans fluid? the oem could be worebroke down and not as responsive.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There isn't exactly a clutch in automatic transmission, but there is a torque converter, which kinda does the same job . . . sounds like it is slipping at idle; I am not sure what might cause that; fluid a little low maybe?

There isn't much of a "tune up" to be done at 68,000 miles, pretty sure the spark plugs are good for at least 100,000 . . . but make sure the air filter is clean or replaced; fuel filter replaced; throttle body cleaned; MAF sensor cleaned . . . that's about it.

Also might be worth clearing the adaptive memory in the computer . . . . unhook the battery for about 20 minutes . . . or I think there is a fuse you can pull, to make that a bit easier. This resets the computer.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
disagree, there are clutches and clutch plates in an auto transmission. the torque converter transfers the fluid to mechanical force and turns the input shaft and pump. not splitting hairs but just sayin.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
There isn't much of a "tune up" to be done at 68,000 miles, pretty sure the spark plugs are good for at least 100,000
True, but they are usually mighty worn by that mileage, especially if you drive hard.

But it's probably only gonna cause a 1 or 2 hp loss, maybe a slight loss in mpg.

I think it's in the OP's head. His butt dyno needs to be recalibrated. He's used to the power.

Time to start modding.

FYI My '06 with bolt ons feels slow to me. I've had it for too long lol.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
disagree, there are clutches and clutch plates in an auto transmission. the torque converter transfers the fluid to mechanical force and turns the input shaft and pump. not splitting hairs but just sayin.
Yep. Torque converter is a fluid coupling. It is actually designed to slip and maintains some degree of slippage up until the ECM commands the torque converter clutch locked. On non-lockup transmissions a torque converter will never achieve a 1:1 transfer of RPM to the transmission. If an engine is steady state cruising at 2000 RPM a non-lockup converter might only spin the transmission input shaft at 1800 or so RPM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

so what do the clutch plates do?

OP described that car rolls backwards on hills in drive, that sounded like torque converter to me -- not sending through the same amount of torque that it used to at idle

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
i think its all magic HA! the auto transmission is a great piece of engineering. it has clutches, clutch plates, a pump, valve bodies, check valves, electronic giszmos etc... it all runs on the fluid pressure. back to the OP's issue, could be degredation of the fluid, adaptive learning as stated above, or also in the mind. "butt dyno needs recalibrated" where do you plug in the tuner?...HAHA good stuff.

PONY Member

Actually it does sound like a tranny issue - good chance the bands need adjustment and you could prob use a fluid flush - I am no expert but there is slippage in auto transmissions - other than caused by the torque converter unless it has broken internal fins - and you would hear that. You need to do some internet searching on auto transmissions and adjustment - specific to your tranny - good luck.
spanish fly and crjackson2134 like this.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
so what do the clutch plates do?

OP described that car rolls backwards on hills in drive, that sounded like torque converter to me -- not sending through the same amount of torque that it used to at idle
The hard part about a post like this is that it's very subjective and without being there to look at and drive the car there is no way to know if there's actually an issue or not. I've driven lots of automatics that can roll backward a bit on an incline when the engine is idling.

There are a several sets of clutches in an automatic transmission and they are applied and released using hydraulic pressure during upshifts and downshifts. When a car is stationary the first gear clutch will be applied but the car can remain stationary because there is no direct mechanical connection between the engine and transmission.

The torque converter clutch typically only engages at cruising speeds. In fact, if you're cruising at a steady 65 mph and tap the gas just enough to see the tach raise just a few hundred RPM it's probably the torque converter clutch disengaging. Anything more and the transmission will probably downshift.
MACH I Member

Drive a Nissan Micra for a few days. Then your Mustang will be good as new again

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page