Shift RPM - stock or modified? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Shift RPM - stock or modified?

I'm wondering if any of you with stock intake have modified your shift point? I have an auto that currently shifts at stock RPM. My mods are in my signature. I have some 265 18 Mickey Thompson drag radials that are a bit shorter than stock. I believe the diameter difference is causing me to shift just before I cross the line in the quarter mile, and I'm considering added a couple hundred RPM's to see if that carries me across in 4th. What I don't want to do is fall out of the power curve so much that I'll lose anything that way. I plan to do some trial and error with my sct, but in the meantime, I thought I'd seek out input here.

I know I can reserve a dyno session, but there are good resources here that I can look to until I get to that point.

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
(with Procal): [email protected] 1.913 60' on stock Goodyears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015
PONY Member

Shift RPM - stock or modified?

I shift at 7000 rpm with the coyote intake manifold, kooks long tubes, cold air, and a boss rotating assembly. Just wind it out a little more. Like you said, you really have to look at your dyno sheet to know when your power drops off.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015
Apprentice

Garage
With the stock manifold you start to loose the powerband around 6-7k, Boss Manifold will help you make better power higher in the RPM band but you can always wind out 4th only if you're looking to save a shift from 4th to 5th.

Lots of parts. Still slow

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015
PONY Member

A proper solution would be a cobra jet intake manifold, I can't wait for that mod... you'll never have to worry about that curve turning town at 7000 rpms ever again! 😉
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks for the comments. I plan to get a line lock soon, installed at a shop that has a dyno. I'll run it there, see what's a good point for me. Until then, I'll try adjustments with my Bama tune.

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015
Apprentice

Stock intake is done after 6500 rpms. So 67-6800 ideal. If you need to make it through the traps just rev it out instead of shifting. Look at any stock intake dyno sheets.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
it's an auto and I don't "manually" shift it. I don't trust myself that much! So I'm looking for alternatives.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
Rookie

Please do not do "trial and error" with the SCT if you plan on running sustained or repeated high revs. The Coyote blocks weakness are the rod bolts and oil pump. Both of which do not like high rpm. There should be an adjustment for your tires, the 18" MT you discussed using in the SCT X4 programmer. Go to the tire size, select revs per mile, for the 18" tire its around 1200. Then see what rpms you go thru the traps with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr289 View Post
Please do not do "trial and error" with the SCT if you plan on running sustained or repeated high revs. The Coyote blocks weakness are the rod bolts and oil pump. Both of which do not like high rpm. There should be an adjustment for your tires, the 18" MT you discussed using in the SCT X4 programmer. Go to the tire size, select revs per mile, for the 18" tire its around 1200. Then see what rpms you go thru the traps with.
I have no idea where you got that 1200 revs per mile for any 18" tire, but they're wrong (18" is a wheel measurement at the bead seat, not the tire diameter, and not even the wheel's maximum diameter to the outer edges of the flanges).

A 265/40-18 tire (suggested by an 18" tire a little shorter than stock)
only turns about 790 revs per mile. I have a full set in this size for my "3-season" driving . . .

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
PONY Member

I had my auto with the stock intake shifting @ 7300 rpm.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
GT Member

I play it safe with 7K...

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Rookie

It was a tire vendor site, sorry, forgot which one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page