MT82 Pops out of second gear and grinds. 2013 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

MT82 Pops out of second gear and grinds. 2013 Mustang GT

Hi guys im new here but I think it was time to start getting into forums, anyway recently I started experiencing problems with my transmission, every time now when im shifting into second it goes in with no problems but as soon as im about to let go of the clutch the stick pops out, even when im at a stop and I press the clutch and put it in second it goes in no problem just like when im driving but if I let go of the clutch to take off it pops out also, now this is not all the times, if I throw the stick into second really fast it will actually stay in or if I put the car in first then second it will not pop out. Also if im driving and throw it fast into second like for example doing some high rpm shifting it goes in but I can feel a slight clash or grind on the stick. My car is a 2013 with 65k miles on it already because I do a lot of highway to and from work everyday. I purchased the car used with 11k miles and based on the carfax before I had the car it looks like ford had already did a trans rebuild, and not 5 months ago my third gear had a nasty grind and they fix it once again and now it looks like is the third time. Problem is this time is out of warranty and now I might have to pay Ford to fix it again with the same crappy parts as they did before.

I went ahead and swapped the QDC fluid that it has stock and went with Royal Purple MaxGear 75w90 oil since I have seen a lot of guys having success with this and it got a bit better but it still messed up. Is this caused because my second gear syncro is failing ? I don't understand why sometimes it just shifts normally into second. I have already contacted Deysha by PM and hope to hear from her as soon as possible, this is really irritating that I still have 5 more years of payments on this car and im looking at spending 5k or more into getting my trans fixed up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
Something people aren't aware of. If ford repairs or replaces a component that component gets a brand new 12month 12k warranty. They might try to stiff you but it's worth a try. Plus you have had more than one problem with the transmission. So there is a history of issues. Sometimes that will get you further when just outside the warranty. If they refuse to help then maybe consider upgrading the tranny instead of paying for repairs to a trashed MT82.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015
PONY Member

Deysha may be able to help you here.

Touch base with her - she has a very good reputation !

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have already contacted her with PMs just waiting on her answer. Im just afraid the dealer might try to denied everything because I have long tube headers and a cai filter installed, when the first time the car went in for repairs the car had a boss 302 manifold and cat deletes lol and they did not say anything, anyway lets see what happens. This is really frustrating that you pay for a 30k car and It already has had 3 trans problems and not a real solution can be found. Anyway keeping my fingers crossed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I wonder if fitting a better shifter, such as an MGW or Barton would fix the problem? The OEM shifters are pretty sloppy and imprecise. Perhaps the shifter just isn't firmly placing it fully into gear?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
I wonder if fitting a better shifter, such as an MGW or Barton would fix the problem? The OEM shifters are pretty sloppy and imprecise. Perhaps the shifter just isn't firmly placing it fully into gear?
I have already tried with a Hurst Shifter and no fix, its internally damaged for sure.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015
Rookie

Most likely its a 2nd gear failure. You're going to need a new 2nd gear, new 2nd gear synchronizer ring and potentially a new 1/2 synchronizer assembly. I would also suggest bronze fork pads and shift rail stop bushing while its a part.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015
PONY Member

Garage
When gears pop out like that, its is almost guaranteed that gear is done and the tranny needs removal and fixing.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in