Why is it so hard to shift quickly? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Why is it so hard to shift quickly?

Ok so I may be a dummy and doing this all wrong, but you know what really grinds my gears? It's the constant grinding of my gears!

I find whenever I shift under normal operation (meaning I take it slow and very deliberate), my car shifts fine. But, the second I try to shift as quick as I can (including when I quick-shift), there seems to be a 30-40% chance that I'm going to miss a gear or get some gear grinding. When I switched from the factory shifter to the steeda shifter, things improved but it still leaves a LOT to be desired.

Is there a good fix for this, or am I just doing things wrong???

2011 Mustang GT, 577 rwhp 475 ft-lbs
Grabber Blue
, 6spd mannual, Brembos, 3.73s, HID, security pack, 401A interior, GT500 spoiler and California Special/BOSS 302 front fascia.

Roush Phase II supercharger kit with CAI, Steeda custom dyno tune, STEEDA TRI-AX short shifter, Eibach pro kit springs, KONI STR.T shocks and struts, BMR panhard bar and camber bolts, JLT oil separator, Mickey Thompson street comp performance radials (255/285 19s), Velgen VMB5 gun metal wheels, and Borla S-Type axle back exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
Double post

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The stock shifter and all of its components that aren't replaced with the aftermarket shifter you have is a Lego piece of crap(not to insult Legos). The shift arm is 3 floppy pieces and the bushings might as well be gummie Bears.
If you really want to be able to bang the gears get a MGW race spec or the blowfish bracket.
Anything that leaves the shifter attached to the body is going to leave you with high rpm high torque shifting issues since the engine will torque over but the shifter will be held stationary from the body attachments.
freewayflyer likes this.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossy207 View Post
Ok so I may be a dummy and doing this all wrong, but you know what really grinds my gears? It's the constant grinding of my gears!

I find whenever I shift under normal operation (meaning I take it slow and very deliberate), my car shifts fine. But, the second I try to shift as quick as I can (including when I quick-shift), there seems to be a 30-40% chance that I'm going to miss a gear or get some gear grinding. When I switched from the factory shifter to the steeda shifter, things improved but it still leaves a LOT to be desired.

Is there a good fix for this, or am I just doing things wrong???
The usual answer is this I'M TOLD.

When the engine is producing a lot of torque, it tilts sideways and takes the transmission with it. The Mustang has what is referred to as a remote shifter (not directly connected to shift forks) that is located at the rear of the tranny.

Anyway, this tilt or axial rotation puts pressure on the shift linkage forcing it to be somewhat out of alignment. This makes your shifts work as you described.

There is a device that you can buy called a Torque Limiter. It's a bolt-on apparatus that limits the amount of torque rotation applied to the Transmission/Shifter. I believe you can get one
LIKE THIS ONE.

Read the full description and you will see that it's SUPPOSED TO address this problem. I don't have one so I can't testify as to it's efficacy but it's a starting point.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu13gt View Post
If you really want to be able to bang the gears get a MGW race spec or the blowfish bracket.
blu, which one gets the job done better in your opinion? I'm thinking of doing one of these too. I'm guessing the shifter is the better but more expensive option. Your thoughts?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have the MGW and it's great. It completely replaces everything related to the mickeymouse stock shifter and it really is what Ford should have built the car with in the first place.

Ive heard good reviews on the blowfish bracket too and it does come with a driveshaft loop built in. But if cost is the concern there really isn't much of a differentlce for anyone who still has the stock shifter since it wouldn't make sense to use the blowfish without upgrading to a better shifter as well.

Most people say just go with the MGW. I can't say for sure but I would be inclined to agree with that since my experience with it is so positive. The install only took 2 hours on a lift taking my time drinking beer and bsing with my best friend for the first time in a year.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Stock 2016 EB
2014 Smart for Two.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I have the MGW and it's great. It completely replaces everything related to the mickeymouse stock shifter and it really is what Ford should have built the car with in the first place.

Ive heard good reviews on the blowfish bracket too and it does come with a driveshaft loop built in. But if cost is the concern there really isn't much of a differentlce for anyone who still has the stock shifter since it wouldn't make sense to use the blowfish without upgrading to a better shifter as well.

Most people say just go with the MGW. I can't say for sure but I would be inclined to agree with that since my experience with it is so positive. The install only took 2 hours on a lift taking my time drinking beer and bsing with my best friend for the first time in a year.
Sounds great, what about additional NVH? I bought a '14 GT last month and the wife ended up with it. She complains about the shift under load, and stiff suspension. I told her she picked a car that's meant to be stiff and she'll have to live with that aspect. But if I can improve the shift that would be great.

Friday, I bought another '14 GT for myself (since she took the 1st one). It should be here in a few days (being shipped). I anticipate if shifting just like the first one, so everything I do costs double. I have two cars to support here.

Can the shifter and the blowfish bracket both be done to the same vehicle, or would there be any point in that?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
NVH increase is negligible to me. I don't hear any extra noise except a little bit more transmission gear whine under hard acceleration and a little visible vibration of the shifter but it's not enough to feel really and I don't mind at all.

No you cannot do a MGW race spec shifter and a blowfish bracket together. You can do a blowfish bracket and regular MGW shifter but I don't think you get the better linkage with that shifter. To me the only reason to go with the blowfish is if you already have an aftermarket shifter and want to get it mounted to the transmission but don't want to spend the 500 on a race spec, or if you just gotta have the driveshaft loop.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Stock 2016 EB
2014 Smart for Two.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
NVH increase is negligible to me. I don't hear any extra noise except a little bit more transmission gear whine under hard acceleration and a little visible vibration of the shifter but it's not enough to feel really and I don't mind at all.

No you cannot do a MGW race spec shifter and a blowfish bracket together. You can do a blowfish bracket and regular MGW shifter but I don't think you get the better linkage with that shifter. To me the only reason to go with the blowfish is if you already have an aftermarket shifter and want to get it mounted to the transmission but don't want to spend the 500 on a race spec, or if you just gotta have the driveshaft loop.
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll be going the MGW race spec then. I'll just have to find a trusted shop to install it.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Simple install man. If you can watch their YouTube video and have any mechanical skill at all you can do it yourself. Might take you longer than 2 hours depending on your skill level. But really this isn't a job to be scared to do yourself as long as you have basic hand tools and some jack stands or acces to a lift.

Stock 2016 EB
2014 Smart for Two.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Simple install man. If you can watch their YouTube video and have any mechanical skill at all you can do it yourself. Might take you longer than 2 hours depending on your skill level. But really this isn't a job to be scared to do yourself as long as you have basic hand tools and some jack stands or acces to a lift.
Not scared of it all and I'm ASE certified, but I'm retired, disabled, and no longer have tools or a place to work. I can't really pull wrenches anymore. It's physical abilities that I lack these days.

If I had a lift and tools, I'd probably do it (then be in a lot of pain for the next week or so). Since I don't have either I'm not even tempted. I should be able to find someone in Charlotte to do the pulling. After all, we have the Lowes Motor Speedway & NASCAR hall of fame here. Should be able to find some motor heads around here somewhere.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Ahh. Ok. Understood. Well good luck. And remember they build the shifters in batches so you may have to wait for a bit once you order your shifters.

Stock 2016 EB
2014 Smart for Two.

Last edited by blu13gt; 11-09-2015 at 03:56 AM.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Ahh. Ok. Understood. Well good luck. And remember they build the shifters in backed do you may have to wait for a bit once you order your shifters.
Good to know, not in a great hurry. It's just another item on my upgrade list....

MACH I Member

Strange. I actually find that my car shifts more smoothly at high RPM and when I shift fast.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Rookie

Garage
@ matthewr87 my car too, maybe we are just lucky?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page