LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Advanced Track behavior

I'm concerned that I either disabled the stability / traction control, or it's not working.

The last couple of times I took out the stang, I punched it in second and got loose in a big way (which is fine). I didn't feel or see any dash lights to indicate any of the AdvanceTrac was or was not working. When I first got the car (2 months ago), the thing wouldnt let me get loose if I wanted to. I could physically feel it "stabilizing" the car when tires spun a little and that's what I expected here on out.

With all the kiddy controls turned on, does anyone else's car still let them break traction enough to fish-tail?

Could I have accidently disabled this function? If so how to I re-enable full AdvanceTrac?

Thoughts?

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
Mine will get pretty loose when temps are below 55 or so. Even with all the nanny protection on. P zeros aren't that sticky in cooler weather.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu13gt View Post
Mine will get pretty loose when temps are below 55 or so. Even with all the nanny protection on. P zeros aren't that sticky in cooler weather.
Thanks, could it be that it's all working and I just don't notice it? It has been 50-55 here the past couple of days. The wife drives it every day to work and I only drive it every once in a while, so I'm not intimately familiar with it. She doesn't push hard so she never reports anything about performance.

My Mustang is coming in on a truck tomorrow, so I'll have my own to play with. I was just concerned because this looseness just started recentlyt, but the temps have dropped in the last couple of weeks.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
It's most likely just the cooler temps making your rear tires about as useful as hockey pucks. Just monitor it and see if it continues even when temps get warmer.
crjackson2134 likes this.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Mine seems kind of inconsistent. When I first got the car I could get it pretty sideways a few times with no indication (lights or feeling) that the nannyware was intervening. Other times I've seen the TCS light come on at the first hint of wheelspin, or in one case when I was slowing down!?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade

Last edited by wjbertrand; 11-16-2015 at 08:22 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you have the Brembo/track package the stability control is much more forgiving than the standard system. In sport mode, there's even more "freedom". But, it is quite magical in how it works. If the track is rain soaked, I put the car in sport mode. It saved me from myself on multiple occasions.

Now then, the backend can get loose, but, it won't "fishtail" much. To disable it completely, have the car running, put foot on brake and press the TCS button and hold it down. After about 30 seconds it will display "AdvanceTrak disabled" (or "off" I don't recall).

I will add, when I first started reading this forum, there were several cases of people driving around with AdvanceTrak off and sending their car off the road. The Coyote engine above 4000 RPMs is just a beast. Randomly stabbing the throttle can lead to unplanned adventures. The AdvanceTrak system can be very helpful.
wjbertrand likes this.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
If you have the Brembo/track package the stability control is much more forgiving than the standard system. In sport mode, there's even more "freedom". But, it is quite magical in how it works. If the track is rain soaked, I put the car in sport mode. It saved me from myself on multiple occasions.

Now then, the backend can get loose, but, it won't "fishtail" much. To disable it completely, have the car running, put foot on brake and press the TCS button and hold it down. After about 30 seconds it will display "AdvanceTrak disabled" (or "off" I don't recall).

I will add, when I first started reading this forum, there were several cases of people driving around with AdvanceTrak off and sending their car off the road. The Coyote engine above 4000 RPMs is just a beast. Randomly stabbing the throttle can lead to unplanned adventures. The AdvanceTrak system can be very helpful.
I do agree with everything you said about the desirabilities of AdvanceTrak. I do have a Track Pack car, and I have no need to turn off the nanny. It's my wife's daily driver. I just noticed it getting loose where it didn't before so I wondered if I was having a problem with it.

It seems it's more than likely the temperature dip as of late has revealed the shortcomings of the stock tires. I'll know for sure in a few days as my 2nd '14 GT TrackPack will be delivered tomorrow and I can compare.

Thanks for the input.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I can understand why the car might get a little squirly in the cold weather; but don't understand why the light did not come on.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I can understand why the car might get a little squirly in the cold weather; but don't understand why the light did not come on.
I guess it is POSSIBLE that it came on and I was hyper focused on the road and controlling the car so much I just missed seeing it. At least that's what I hope.

V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I guess it is POSSIBLE that it came on and I was hyper focused on the road and controlling the car so much I just missed seeing it. At least that's what I hope.
Yeah the light only flashes at the peak of engagement so it is easily missed if the car steps out un-expectingly and you focus on keeping control. Especially during the day it is can easily be missed.

Dosen't the traction system in the 11+ cars learn driving style and that affects changes? I think I read something about that back when I had my 2011.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
If you have the Brembo/track package the stability control is much more forgiving than the standard system. In sport mode, there's even more "freedom". But, it is quite magical in how it works.
Thanks, I did not realize the programming was different for the Brembo cars.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thanks for all the great information, I've learned a lot. I got my new car today (another '14, not really new but only 4K mi., still smells new) and it was the same. I purposely made it break loose a few times and I never saw the light on it either. I'm so mindful of the surroundings, I just disregard the idiot lights. Thats just me I guess, I don't take my eyes off the road.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed/confused concerning the new car, so I'm going to post a new thread for some advice and information.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've found that my Track Pac system is much less invasive than the system on my V6 Perf Pkg...as in like you I thought maybe I'd disabled it accidently.
It has scooped me up in the rain pretty good once or twice though so I know it's working, the main difference I found was that it will let me break the rear end loose to a point beyond the V6's system which used to just about bust my nose on the wheel cuz when it sensed wheel spin it just shut the motor off.
Overall I much prefer the Track Pac set up.

Scott
freewayflyer likes this.

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I do agree with everything you said about the desirabilities of AdvanceTrak. I do have a Track Pack car, and I have no need to turn off the nanny. It's my wife's daily driver.
It only goes off until you press the button again, or you turn the car off. It resets to fully on everytime you turn the car off. So unless you turned if off and then swapped seats with your wife without turning the car off, it will be on when she gets back in.

Also, performance tires turn to ice skates when you get below 50*. That is more than likely what you were experiencing and not advancetrak doing something strange.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
It only goes off until you press the button again, or you turn the car off. It resets to fully on everytime you turn the car off. So unless you turned if off and then swapped seats with your wife without turning the car off, it will be on when she gets back in.

Also, performance tires turn to ice skates when you get below 50*. That is more than likely what you were experiencing and not advancetrak doing something strange.
Good info. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in