2014 GT Brembo caliper click - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2014 GT Brembo caliper click

I upgraded my standard GT front calipers to the OEM Brembos a while back, and I've noticed a clicking sound when braking for the first time after changing direction; i.e. backing out of the driveway in to the street and stop *click*, pull forward to the stop sign at the corner *click*, then it doesn't happen again until I stop in reverse.

It sounds like the pads (Centrics) shift slightly on the locating pins depending on which direction the rotor was spinning.

Is this common? I'm thinking [hoping] it's not a serious issue, but thought it worth asking.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015
Apprentice

Weird. Can't say I have that happen on my factory Brembos. You may want to take the wheel off and spin the rotor and hub back and forth by hand and see if you can see anything happening like rubbing or something.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't notice that click either. I have the SVT 07-09 GT500 Brembos.

Could be those centric pads have real big holes where the pins go through, which allows them to shift like you say.

Probably a good idea to take a look, make sure nothing is loose before it becomes a real problem.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yep, need to pull a wheel and see what's what. Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I think you've described exactly what's happening. I've had other cars that did that, but not noticed this with my factory Brembo equipped Mustang which still has the OEM pads in it. Sounds to me like the aftermarket pads are slightly undersized. Also check to make sure the various anti-rattle clips and shims are all in place and that the pad contact points in the caliper holder aren't binding.

Having said all that, and if all else seems in order, I don't think the noise is a problem outside the annoyance factor.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Pads are moving in the bore like you thought. Nothing to worry about. You should hear what a set of full floating race rotors with aggressive pads sounds like. You would think the wheels are falling off.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015
GT Member

Mine do what you describe, Im not worried about it. It only happends the first time i back out of the garage.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks all. I pulled a wheel and the clip was skewed a bit, but otherwise no issues. Good to hear that I am not alone or imagining things.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015
GT Member

Not a problem, normal with all Brimbo brakes. They are non floating vs factory GT which are floating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in