Pre-Storage Oil Change Opinions Please? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
It really is just for peace of mind. I sleep better, also if you don't have access to a cat then just put a few dryer sheets in the car, I put two in the trunk, two in the passenger compartment and one under the hood.

The Critters hate fresh laundry apparently.....and Dana that's just mean.....

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Change it in the spring when your ready to drive. It's 3.5 months not 3.5 years. But, as with most people, if you will sleep better at night then do what you need to do. Lol.

Throw at little Lucas or stabil in the tank. Preferably full of fuel is best.

PONY Member

Agree with above. I change my oil every spring in my 69' 912 and have not had any issues. My grandpa does the same thing with his 56' 356 speedster and 84' 911 and has not had any issues either.

PONY Member

I have put mine away for 2 winters here in NH - altho if the roads get clear I will take it for a run - I make sure it is topped off with gas - as for oil - I change it in the spring before it goes to the track - Never had a issue - Of course I am anal about oil changes - ever 2000 miles with Mobile One - piece of mind as the car is run hard a lot -
Apprentice

My opinion on this is if you are close to an oil change change it before you put the car away and when you take it out of storage just drive it the add pack in the oil will be in fine shape for a full run in spring.

My expieriance working on small mower motors has shown that if you leave dirty oil in a motor for an extended period of time if you pull the dipstick the oil will look clean?? Why? The reason is the sludge or impurities separates from the oil and sits in the bottom of the oil pan I have seen this many times. But if you change out the oil then put fresh oil in get the motor good and hot then put it away there will be no sludge that will build in the oil pan.

This is the practice I used on a Briggs & Stratton powered 1979 Wheel Horse tractor and last year when I rebuilt the motor the oil pan was spotless.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
A lot depends on how many miles you put on the car each "season" and what you consider a normal oil change interval. I only put 2k-3k on the car each season, I get the car out in the spring, run it a couple hundred miles (to re-suspend all the junk in the oil so it will come out at the oil change), then change the oil. In the fall I just leave the existing oil in it because it's only got 2k-3k mies on it.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in