post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Question Custom Tune w/CAI vs, Detune/Warranty

Hi,

Lately I've been thinking really hard about ordering an AirRaid CAI w/BAMA tune from AM.

I'm really wanting to gain some torque below 3,000 RPM without sacrificing everyday drivability and smooth operation I now have. Is this even possible to have the best of both worlds?

A Ford dealership salesman that has befriended me (and is a Mustang enthusiast) told me I can simply remove the CAI and restore the stock tune from the tuner device if I need to bring the car in for unrelated warranty service.

Does this work? Can the dealer/tech. tell that you have "de-tuned" the car and refuse warranty service due to this?

Also, there is a local speed shop here that dyno tunes Mustangs as their specialty. Would that be a better option than getting the BAMA/AirRaid combo?

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
The PCM keeps a record of every time the tune is changed, the tech will know.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
The PCM keeps a record of every time the tune is changed, the tech will know.
I guess I won't be doing that for a while, if at all then.

Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There are lots of threads about this; it really comes down to: is your dealer "mod friendly" and will they work with you; or are they looking for excuses to get out of any warranty service. It sounds like your dealer is the latter, so probably best to avoid any tunes if you are going to work with them.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015
Rookie

I think a good dyno tune would be better than a canned tune, and the stock CAI is fine with no other mods.
As soon as my 3 year warranty ends, it's dyno tune time!

2014 GT Premium with GT Brake Performance Pkg, sound tube delete, JLT catch can, GT500 axlebacks, Procal tune
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015
GT Member

You just want a good torque tune? Nothing beats the Ford Procal and you can keep the warranty and the stock airbox.

Not as good an option if you have auto. For that I went with VMP. Who gives a damn? there is no way a tune from a reputable vendor is going to blow a motor.

Dyno tuning is waste of money on an NA car, unless you have very serious breathing mods like cams, CJ manifold, full exhaust, etc. The road is well-travelled here and good reputable vendor will get you 99% of a dyno tune's results for a fraction of the cost.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
A data logged tune from someone like Jon Lund does wonders for these 6R80 cars.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
A data logged tune from someone like Jon Lund does wonders for these 6R80 cars.
I'm sure it does. Both of mine have the MT-82. I really would like to put a tune in that would give me some lower end torque, but I don't want to loose warranty protection. It seems there are NO power mods at all that won't void warranty.

My wife's Mustang (exactly like mine, but non-California model) pulls like a freight train all the way through the RPM range. Mine is a creampuff below 3K RPM, then a sudden (explosive burst) increase that I would say catches up to her's. She also gets better gas mileage that I suspect is either power related, or because her engine is looser due to mileage.

I feel like a good tune would level mine out, but the damned warranty issue is power-blocking me. I just want some low end torque and throttle response, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too...

Last edited by crjackson2134; 12-03-2015 at 03:08 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015
Rookie

I recently had to replace o2 sensor under warranty and when I asked a tech about the warranty before I took it in for service ( he was walking on the lot) First thing he said to me was " if you have a tune, please remove the tune before you bring it in". Do I have a tune? I'd rather not discuss that online LOL
crjackson2134 likes this.

2013 GT Premium *MBRP Black Series Catback Exhaust*Forgestar CF5 18"*Eibach Sportline*Falken Azenis RT-615K Tires*Stallion Adjustable Pandhard Bar
Apprentice

I'm interested in a tune for improved lower end and cold start hesitation elimination. If I start with an AM SCT/BAMA tune can I reuse that same tuner to change to other tunes like VMP or Lund?

TIA
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234 View Post
I'm interested in a tune for improved lower end and cold start hesitation elimination. If I start with an AM SCT/BAMA tune can I reuse that same tuner to change to other tunes like VMP or Lund?

TIA
Yes, they will simply send you a tune file and you load it onto the device. The device should hold up to 10 tunes.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page