Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Garage
Hey, I have one of those fancy stickers also

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Don't tell anyone but our cars are faster!!

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
BOSS Member

Garage
I'm going to check mine Wednesday when I get back home. I don't think it has that sticker.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
They are all the same and 50 state legal.
I would pop the hood and see if there is a label under the hood restricting sale in California.
I'm certain the emission requirements dictate different tunes that would affect performance.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
PONY Member

Mine also says not legal for sale in California on the sticker under the hood. I wonder what the difference is?

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
I would pop the hood and see if there is a label under the hood restricting sale in California.
I'm certain the emission requirements dictate different tunes that would affect performance.
That's a certainty right there. CA has had tighter emissions standards for decades. I thought this was common knowledge within our community. Anyway, any new car destined for sale in CA has to meet their cleaner requirements. Since the market there is so big, having such a large population, car manufacturers actually save money by making only the cars going to CA with the more expensive emissions equipment. It's been that way for a long time now.
This will definitely tame power to make a cleaner burn in CA. There is no doubt in that regard. How much power and where in the RPM range that it is sacrificed is all that is in question here. I'm sure it's only a few HP and ft lbs but it would be interesting to know.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs

Actually new cars sold in CT must meet the California emissions standard. Since I bought mine in Michigan, I was able to register it in CT.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
PONY Member

Garage
Cars are tuned for emissions for normal driving conditions not full throttle romps. There should be no difference in the tune for Full throttle. There might be a difference in the part throttle tuning however.

Cars do not have to meet emissions standards at full throttle.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Cars are tuned for emissions for normal driving conditions not full throttle romps. There should be no difference in the tune for Full throttle. There might be a difference in the part throttle tuning however.

Cars do not have to meet emissions standards at full throttle.
You make a very good point, I didn't even think of that but it makes perfect sense.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
I'm going to check mine Wednesday when I get back home. I don't think it has that sticker.
I popped the hood today and yes I have the sticker, my car is not legal
for sale in California. I can't remember if my 2011 GT had the sticker or not.

Last edited by Thereaper; 01-01-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Rookie

I also have one of the underhood non-California badges of honor - car was originally registered in Michigan, and I bought it out of North Carolina. A bureaucrat at my California DMV saw that sticker and insisted that I "could not have this in California." Lame and wrong - you can buy and import to Calif. a federal emissions car (at least gas powered) with 7,500 or more miles on the odo. Anyway - I've driven a few S197 V6 convertibles, including my own, and if my 'naughty' non-Calif. emissions rig has more oomph, it's *very* little extra. Unfortunately!

From my research, though, bringing a non-Calif. emissions diesel pickup into Calif. would be harder than hand-building one from a boulder of iron ore. *That* bureaucratic process looks like it would suck something awful.

2013 V6 Premium Convertible
Deep Impact Blue/Saddle Interior
Pony Package
Magnaflow Axlebacks
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
They are all the same and 50 state legal.
Then why do they have a California special? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Not true. Mine is not legal in California.
Attachment 482514
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post
You learn something new all the time on this site. I thought all our cars were the same - 50 States emissions legal.
Nope the California special has extra cats if I recall correctly.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
BOSS Member

Garage
The California Special package has nothing to do with selling the car in California. Most CS cars will have a sticker
under the hood just like mine.

SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
The California Special package has nothing to do with selling the car in California. Most CS cars will have a sticker
under the hood just like mine.
I thought for sure at least for the 05-09 body style that to buy a Mustang GT in California that it had to be the California package as it had 4 cats instead of the regular 2.

That is just my understanding though and shoot what do I know I live on the east coast and only know that info as a dealer over here told me that. I take what they say normally with a grain of salt as half of it is them blowing smoke up your butt to make a sell anyways. haha

BUT now you have me really wondering. Maybe we can get some California Mustang owners to provide info on laws and regulations and also maybe even get some California Special owners to chime in and post a pic of their stickers. Would be interesting info to know.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Rookie

Just going through my notes from my purchase this summer and I wrote that the CARB (California Air Resources Board) engineer I talked to - when I panicked because the dealer didn't tell me I had purchased a 'federal' rather than "California emissions" car until it was being loaded on the truck - said the California cars have an extra oxygen sensor. But that doesn't make sense because then all the California (and New England/DC) cars would have a different intake manifold. Which makes zero sense, right?

2013 V6 Premium Convertible
Deep Impact Blue/Saddle Interior
Pony Package
Magnaflow Axlebacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page