Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
My GT/CS has that sticker too. I guess my Stang isn't a true "California Special."

JediDave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
My GT/CS has that sticker too. I guess my Stang isn't a true "California Special."

JediDave
That's one BA looking ride you've got there...

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
PONY Member

Garage
crjackson2134:

Thanks man!!
Scar looks like a real scary beast....my CS would turn and run back to the beach!

JediDave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amabhy View Post
I also have that sticker under my hood. Mine was originally sold new in South Carolina but the last owner brought it to California where I got it used. You can register a car here that's not Cali-emissions certified and it'll pass smog/inspection but all new cars on the lots have to have the stricter emissions setup. Same deal with the Taurus I used to have- also not Cali-emissions certified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I guess I'll be looking for that sticker under both hoods just for the fun of it this week. I wish we had a tech. on this board that knows what the real deal is.
amabhy is correct, the only time the Federal vs. California emissions matters is when the car is sold BRAND NEW from the dealer. California compliant cars can be sold brand new in all 50 states, Federal compliant cars can be sold brand new in every state EXCEPT California and New York, however after the initial sale at the OE dealer, both California and Federal compliant cars can be sold/bought/registered in any of the 50 states.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Rookie
5.0L Member

Garage
My mustang doesn't have that sticker lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	487953  
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_GT_5spd View Post
amabhy is correct, the only time the Federal vs. California emissions matters is when the car is sold BRAND NEW from the dealer. California compliant cars can be sold brand new in all 50 states, Federal compliant cars can be sold brand new in every state EXCEPT California and New York, however after the initial sale at the OE dealer, both California and Federal compliant cars can be sold/bought/registered in any of the 50 states.
Only California compliant cars can be sold new in Connecticut also.

DEEP: LEV II

I had to research this when I bought mine. Since I bought it new and registered it in Michigan (in order to drive it home) and then registered it in CT when I got back home, I was exempt from this standard.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Actually new cars sold in CT must meet the California emissions standard. Since I bought mine in Michigan, I was able to register it in CT.
There are 13 states that subscribe to the California requirements. I live in Mass which is one of them.

I also believe the cars are all exactly the same and the reason that they put a California sticker only on those cars that are being shipped to the 13 states that subscribe to California requirements has to do with certification fees that have to be paid to CARB for each approved car sold.

My 13 Focus ST came with a non California sticker. A few months after delivery I got a letter from Ford with instructions to cover the existing sticker with the enclosed California sticker.

Dave
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
There are 13 states that subscribe to the California requirements. I live in Mass which is one of them.

I also believe the cars are all exactly the same and the reason that they put a California sticker only on those cars that are being shipped to the 13 states that subscribe to California requirements has to do with certification fees that have to be paid to CARB for each approved car sold.

My 13 Focus ST came with a non California sticker. A few months after delivery I got a letter from Ford with instructions to cover the existing sticker with the enclosed California sticker.

Dave
Dave, I believe you and the others posting similar views are right. I pulled down some FMC emission certificates and they are different. One is for CARB and lists emission results and the other cert is just an EPA cert stipulating conformance to the clean air act.

Besides the nominal fee that might be tacked on, there are subtle differences in the emission warranty coverage for both.

I would have to conclude that there is none to minimum performance impact on what certification accompanies the car with the exception that the gasoline formulations in locations with tightly controlled pollution levels may have some impact.

The charades with the certifications is a mystery to me because you can still bring in a new car to CA from out of state after the prescribed wait time of 7 months I think and get it certified at a smog station and register it in CA.

Erik

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime
2020 Jeep Willys Sting-Gray
2019 Charger Scat Pack traded 2020.
PONY Member

The interesting part in that last post is found in the last line.

From Wikipedia:

Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards. States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.
The EPA has adopted the California emissions standards as a national standard by the 2016 model year[4] and is collaborating with California regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.[5]

Who-ever it was that said "car companies simply set up all cars to the stricter standard of CARB"......technically incorrect for the question asked in the OP.......but starting with model year 2016.......it would be a correct statement.....not by choice but rather by way of the new standards adopted by the Federal Authorities..

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
PONY Member

I'd be interested to know if it isn't the car but instead the gasoline available that might make a car IN a Carb state a little weak on performance.

Compuer controlled ignition and 11:1 compression.........it's not hard to imagine any car, not just a Coyote powered car, with higher compression levels might make more power at WOT with higher octane gasoline available.

I noticed Maine and Mass on that list of 13 states that have adopted the CARB standard......I'm not sure about Massachusetts but I go into Maine often enough to avoid a "fill up" when-ever possible......I can get 93 octane gasoline in New Hampshire at almost every gas station......yet in Maine I can't find anything higher than 91. I have to imagine that might make a difference in power levels any individual Coyote motor might be able to make before timing is retarded to control engine "knock".

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
PONY Member

Same HP

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
PONY Member

In Mass premium is 93 octane and all grades have 10% ethanol.

Dave
PONY Member

Just my opinion, but I think mechanically the cars are all the same. The difference is in warranty, paperwork, filings, etc

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Apprentice

Adding my experience. In 2014 I totalled my 2012. When I bought my '14, it was after the factory started converting over to the '15 model. Selection was small for fully optioned cars, so I went nation wide looking at the inventory at different dealers. The cars came in 3 flavors. 50 State Legal, California Emissions, and Federal. The Emissions type is listed on the Window Sticker.

Below is a capture from my 2012 showing it was a Cali car and the 2nd image is my 2014 (which is 50 State). I have no clue what is the difference between 50-state and Cali emissions. The '14 car I really wanted to by was in Dallas, but was not 50-state or Cali emissions so I would not be able to register it in Oregon until it was a 'used' car - which by Oregon rules is $5k miles on the odometer.

Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs-2012.jpg
Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs-2014.jpg

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium w/Track Pack - just purchased in Aug and undergoing upgrades immediately.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium - Totaled July 2014, RIP
1968 Red 289 Coupe
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
Adding my experience. In 2014 I totalled my 2012. When I bought my '14, it was after the factory started converting over to the '15 model. Selection was small for fully optioned cars, so I went nation wide looking at the inventory at different dealers. The cars came in 3 flavors. 50 State Legal, California Emissions, and Federal. The Emissions type is listed on the Window Sticker.

Below is a capture from my 2012 showing it was a Cali car and the 2nd image is my 2014 (which is 50 State). I have no clue what is the difference between 50-state and Cali emissions. The '14 car I really wanted to by was in Dallas, but was not 50-state or Cali emissions so I would not be able to register it in Oregon until it was a 'used' car - which by Oregon rules is $5k miles on the odometer.

Attachment 489802
Attachment 489810

The window stickers on the 3 Mustangs I've owned say nothing about being 50 state legal.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page